Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Top Draft Picks, College Tournament

Re: Top Draft Picks, College Tournament

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Are you watching OBM? Do his mechanics look as bad as what's been said?
    I'm not a big expert on mechanics or anything, but they don't look any worse than say, Max Scherzer's, or Jake Peavy. In fact, his mechanics sort of remind me of Jake Peavy. Stuff wise I'd say his stuff is comparable to Matt Cain.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I just watched Crow in slow mo from the side angle they had in the 5th inning.... my elbow hurt from watching it. His elbow was much higher than his shoulder was, not quite Anthony Reyes bad, but pretty close.

Crow has a shutout through six innings with six 6 K's. He's throwing four above average pitchers with two electric pitches in the fastball and slider. He strikes me a guy who could probably go straight to High-A and pitch well there.

Smoak has an RBI single for SC

Crow Cruises

Posted May. 30, 2008 2:18 pm by Aaron Fitt
    Filed under: Division I Postseason

Missouri ace righthander Aaron Crow turned in a vintage performance today in a 7-0 win over Mississippi and Lance Lynn in the Coral Gables regional. Crow struck out 10 while walking five in a three-hit, complete-game shutout. Lynn, meanwhile, allowed six earned runs on nine hits over 6 1/3 innings to take the loss.

All of a sudden, you’ve got to really like Missouri’s chances to stun top-seeded Miami. Crow’s complete game spared the bullpen and allows the Tigers to start a fully rested Kyle Gibson tomorrow, in all likelihood. Gibson has the second-best arm in that regional, after Crow, and gives the Tigers a real chance. And Missouri got very encouraging afternoons from outfielder Ryan Lollis (4-for-4) and catcher Trevor Coleman (2-for-3 with a homer and three RBIs)–two key hitters for them who have had somewhat disappointing years. If those guys keep it going, Missouri’s offense can be very, very good.

One other note on Crow: sources in Coral Gables say there were at least 30 scouts on hand to see Crow work in the mid-90s. It was the sharpest Crow has looked since his dominating scoreless streak earlier this year, and it came in almost certainly his final start before the draft. A scout in attendance said there’s no way Crow drops out of the top 10 picks now–not that he was ever really in danger of doing so.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/

Crow stars in: When elbows explode lol

Anyone know who is playing in the SEC game a half hour from now?

Since Michigan was brought up, I want to give a shout out to Michigan's 1B Nate Recknagel. He attended my HS and was named 2008 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year. He was not drafted for some reason last year, but I would love to see the Reds take him with a late pick after another solid season as a senior:

2005: .351/.414/.536
    2006: .372/.448/.569
    2007: .352/.452/.612
    2008: .372/.466/.758

According to today's BA chat, Recknagel will be a 6-10 round pick.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3419473

Here is an excellent update of yesterday's action.

Of special note: Matusz throws a complete game three-hitter and had 10 K's.

Also, Bucknell shuts out Florida State. Traditional powers Georgia, Texas and Florida also lost.

So in terms of performance, Matusz and Crow both throw complete game 3 hitters with 10 Ks.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Since Michigan was brought up, I want to give a shout out to Michigan's 1B Nate Recknagel. He attended my HS and was named 2008 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year. He was not drafted for some reason last year, but I would love to see the Reds take him with a late pick after another solid season as a senior:

2005: .351/.414/.536
    2006: .372/.448/.569
    2007: .352/.452/.612
    2008: .372/.466/.758
    Recknagel is a monster and should go in the Top 3 Rounds. Absolutely no reason for him not to. Supplemental 1st Round pick is more likely where he will go. I haven't seen a better hitter in College all season.

The best link I can find for the NCAA tournament. Click on any Regional Box and it will give you live, up-to-date scoring of each bracket.

http://www.cstv.com/gametracker/brac...s_bracket.html

Michigan has to play two games today because their game yesterday was postponed. It was the only game in the Tournament yesterday of the 32 that was postponed. Zach Putnam beat Kentucky in the 1st game allowing only 1 Run in 5 innings leaving with a 7-1 lead, where they hung on to win 7-5 after Kentucky scored 4 in the 8th. They probably wanted to save Putnam and use him on short rest in 2 days and that's why they took him out after 5 with the huge lead. Putnam was 1-2 with 2 BB's, and Recknagel was 0-2 with a walk and a run.

Unfortunately, they are in Arizona's bracket and may not get into the Super Regionals. They are playing them right now. They're down 3-0 in the Top of the 3rd. I'm sure Recknagel got hurt in the late innings of the last game. He left late in the game, and he never leaves a game for any reason. He's also not in the next game. Michigan has a very deep offense, so they still have a chance in this game.

Michigan gets to host the "Ann Arbor Regional" even though they aren't the #1 Seed in that Regional. College Baseball does things like that. That gives Michigan a huge chance to upset Arizona in the Regional, but without Recknagel, that chance may have just gone away.

I can't find anything about Recknagel and why he left the other game early or why he's not in this game.

On a side note, both Putnam and Recknagel earned 2nd Team All-American honors...Putnam as a Utility Player, Recknagel as a 1B, and Michigan also had Chris Fetter make it as a Starting Pitcher on the 2nd Team.

It is the first Louisville Slugger All-America citation for each of the three Wolverines and the first time any Michigan player has been selected to the team in its 12-year existence. It also marks the first time three Wolverines earned All-America status in the same year. Michigan had two earn the distinction twice, the last coming in 1985, when Barry Larkin and Mike Watters were named All-America first team by Baseball America.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-31-2008 at 08:04 PM.

After yesterday's games were completed, there were 16 teams eliminated, and 16 teams undefeated.

UNDEFEATED TEAMS (by seed within regional)
    #1 seeds: 9
    #2 seeds: 5
    #3 seeds: 1 (Tulane)
    #4 seeds: 1 (Fresno State)

Eliminated teams (by seed within regional)
    #1 seeds: none
    #2 seeds: 2
    #3 seeds: 4
    #4 seeds: 10

of the "National Seeds" (top 8 overall), 3 have 1 loss, and are on the brink of elimination.
    Florida State, Georgia, and CalState Fullerton. The first 2 will play the team that beat them on Friday.

Overall, 10 of the loser's bracket games will feature a "rematch" of a game played Fri, mostly #2 vs #3, so it's kind of what you'd expect. One loser's bracket game today features a #1 vs #2---Long Beach State vs San Diego.

For reference, a # 4 seed in a regional is roughly equivalent to a #13-#16 seed in the NCAA basketball tourney. (4 brackets of 16, vs 16 brackets of 4)

Continuing with the "march madness" reference:
    if BUCKNELL beats overall #4 seed FLORIDA STATE, it would be like a #16 seed beating a #1 seed in hoops ... for this second time this weekend. And THEN, they'd still have to beat Tulane 2x to reach the "sweet 16".

GA vs Lipscomb is a #2 vs #15 (also a rematch of Fri's game won by the lower seed)

Of the #4 seeds still alive, 1 would be a #16 seed in the hoops bracket, 1 a #15 seed, 3 #14 seeds, and 1 #13 seed.

The # 13 seed is undefeated Fresno State in their regional.

Just food for thought.

Turn Off Ads?