Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: google ads

google ads

This site gets so much traffic, i bet ads generated by google would pay for the site. Put the ads top right, they'd be unobtrusive. I'd be willing to bet you would see money for impressions and clicks. This would end the need for donations. And the nature of google ads wouldn't detract from Redszone at all.

Just my opinion.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Re: google ads

This isnt a for revenue site. I think Boss wants to ensure no ads are ever used here.

I agree on Google ads being unobtrusive. The money that came from them could be used to improving the site in other ways (but don't ask me how).

I agree; it is just open white space and Boss could charge only enough to cover expenses...

I wouldn't be against it if it meant a better site. I don't particularly like ads on the pages I visit, but it wouldn't bother me in this case.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree; it is just open white space and Boss could charge only enough to cover expenses...
    It doesn't really work that way. I will say this though, with the traffic this site gets, the google ads would supply plenty enough revenue to keep the site top notch. That said, the site seems to be doing fine without them.... although there is the donations and no one really knows what those bring in.

I'd like to see the ads so we don't have a repeat of posters thinking they are "owed" something because they donated. I think the ads are content based and would be appropriate for all ages. And yes, they could generate plenty of money. Now, will that in itself cause issues? maybe. And maybe the excess money could go for neat things like donations to youth baseball, or other various causes related to baseball.

To me this could be a very good step forward.

I'm for the google ads. I go to other sites with the ads and they don't bother my me one bit. P.S. I don't own Google stock.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'd like to see the ads so we don't have a repeat of posters thinking they are "owed" something because they donated. I think the ads are content based and would be appropriate for all ages. And yes, they could generate plenty of money. Now, will that in itself cause issues? maybe. And maybe the excess money could go for neat things like donations to youth baseball, or other various causes related to baseball.

To me this could be a very good step forward.
    Sponsor a RedsZone youth league team!

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I'd agree with the others and find a way to monetize the traffic, if for no other reason than to donate anything above the costs of the site to charity. I understand why the caretakers here have resisted putting adds on the site though.

The adds would not bother me a bit.

GL

At the very least, why not try it for a month? see what the revenue looks like. It's not like redszone would be locked into anything.

My biggest concern is that I believe we would have to remove all copyrighted content (i.e. avatars) before doing anything that would bring in revenue, such as ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    My biggest concern is that I believe we would have to remove all copyrighted content (i.e. avatars) before doing anything that would bring in revenue, such as ads.
    I don't think that is the case at all. I'm not a lawyer, but there are a number of lawyers on this site. One might be able to answer that. However, I don't see a lot of copyrighted content. Even the avatars are vague.

A lot of messageboards use google ads, but very few of them (at least sports related boards) have the traffic and loyalty this one has. The revenue you generate could go towards server upgrades and hosting fees.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I don't think that is the case at all. I'm not a lawyer, but there are a number of lawyers on this site. One might be able to answer that. However, I don't see a lot of copyrighted content. Even the avatars are vague.

A lot of messageboards use google ads, but very few of them (at least sports related boards) have the traffic and loyalty this one has. The revenue you generate could go towards server upgrades and hosting fees.
    I don't see a lot of potential copyrighted content, but I would definitely want to have it all removed if we were to consider implementing something like this.

I agree, but at the same time why not give it a go for a month? as a test, just suspend avatars, roll out the ads and project the revenue over 12 months.

The potential benefit outweighs 1 month of avatarless posting.

Turn Off Ads?