Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

Jay Bruce will be promoted to the Reds tomorrow. The corresponding roster to move will be announced then. That's all I've got for now.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Woohoo!!!!

Re: Jay Bruce called up!!!!!

but will he play everyday?

more moves to come? (as in DFA Patterson?)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post

but will he play everyday?

more moves to come? (as in DFA Patterson?)

We can only hope.
    This is very good news. I suspect there might be a couple of more moves (perhaps pitching) coming up soon, as well. Let us hope this is only the beginning of a move in the right direction.

"Bout damn time!

Now we get to see how Dusty uses him.

And the Reds had no idea when the Super Two date is ...

Great to see Bruce up though! Looks like I might be heading down to the game tomorrow, weather dependent obviously.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    And the Reds had no idea when the Super Two date is ...

Great to see Bruce up though! Looks like I might be heading down to the game tomorrow, weather dependent obviously.
    My dad and I are thinking of making the four hour drive tomorrow to watch him. The only problem is dad has to work plus he coaches my brother's baseball team so he's going to try to work something out so we can make the trip. Man am I pumped right now!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My dad and I are thinking of making the four hour drive tomorrow to watch him. The only problem is dad has to work plus he coaches my brother's baseball team so he's going to try to work something out so we can make the trip. Man am I pumped right now!
    That's rough with the long drive since there's still no guarantees Bruce will be starting tomorrow. I'll be waiting until the lineups are up tomorrow before making the final decision to head down. He better be starting, but you never know what kind of Dustification the Reds will try to pass for not starting Bruce tomorrow.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Dustification
    For a split second I ALMOST looked that word up... :
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    That's rough with the long drive since there's still no guarantees Bruce will be starting tomorrow. I'll be waiting until the lineups are up tomorrow before making the final decision to head down. He better be starting, but you never know what kind of Dustification the Reds will try to pass for not starting Bruce tomorrow.
    It doesn't look like we're gonna get to go. Oh well, that's fine. I'll be watching the game from the TV with a big smile on my face. I've got a couple abscessed teeth that are giving me headaches and making me sick, so it's probably better if I stay home anyways until I get them pulled next Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    OBM, no offense. But, ask your dad to coach those kids instead of going to the Reds' game. Maybe one of those kids is the next Jay Bruce, but probably only if they have mentors who prioritize them and dedicate themselves to show up, throw bp, etc...

I see all these soccer fields replacing baseball diamonds all over town, and youth baseball is imperative to keeping the game alive. My coach used to cuss like a marine, make us run laps and dress us down when we made a stupid error. But we loved him because he was there three nights a week throwing 250 pitches of batting practice after working 10 hour shifts in a sweat shop. He never missed a practice or a game, much less to go watch a major league baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    OBM, no offense. But, ask your dad to coach those kids instead of going to the Reds' game. Maybe one of those kids is the next Jay Bruce, but probably only if they have mentors who prioritize them and dedicate themselves to show up, throw bp, etc...

I see all these soccer fields replacing baseball diamonds all over town, and youth baseball is imperative to keeping the game alive. My coach used to cuss like a marine, make us run laps and dress us down when we made a stupid error. But we loved him because he was there three nights a week throwing 250 pitches of batting practice after working 10 hour shifts in a sweat shop. He never missed a practice or a game, much less to go watch a major league baseball game.
    Dad is a dedicated coach, absolutely loves doing it. He also umpires numerous games a year. He's a huge Reds fan and is the reason I love the Reds like I do. His favorite player was always Johnny Bench... I love to listen to him tell stories about how great the Big Red Machine was. But back to him coaching - I've seen his team play and believe me, there are no future Jay Bruce's on that team. He usually takes his team pretty deep in the All-Star tournaments but this years team is probably the worst he's had.

I used to have a little league coach similar to the one you described. He would practice us at 10:00 in the morning during the summers for All-Stars and then have us come back at 8:00 at night and practice under the lights. Some might think it was too much but I loved it. It's baseball man. I miss it badly. I'm 21 now so I can't play anymore except for soft pitch softball, which I'm thinking about doing next year.

Reds promote Bruce - finally

By Hal McCoy | Monday, May 26, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Latest comment

Jay Bruce is coming. Finally. For real.

The 21-year-old outfielder will be in uniform 32 with the Cincinnati Reds Tuesday when they open a three-game series with ther Pirates.

And it made me a prophet. I told Marty Brennaman during a second-inning visit in Los Angeles on the just complete 2-5 trip to the west coast that I thought he would materialize when the Reds returned home.

After losing an 18-inning game Sunday to the last place San Diego Padres, and watching Corey Patterson go 0 for 8, the Reds decided it was time to call up their No. 1 draft pick from 2005 who is wreaking havoc on Triple-A pitching.

General manager Walt Jocketty said all along that they wouldn’t call him up until they decided he would play.

So…let’s see if he is in Tuesday’s lineup. They say his position isn’t center field, but it isn’t likely they’ll bench left fielder Adam Dunn or right fielder Ken Griffey Jr. If he plays - and why else would they call him up - he’ll be in center.

Scouts tell me he CAN play center field. While he doesn’t have great speed, he gets good jumps on balls and gets to them. That’s all he needs to do, right?

Amazingly, I was dragging myself in the back door of my house after flying all day from San Diego when the phone rang with the news.

I left at 6:30 (9:30 Dayton time) and flew four hours to Atlanta, had a 90-minute layover, than an hour-and-a-half flight to Dayton, arriving home at 5 p.m.

Tired? Oh, yeah. But excited over the prospect of finally seeing Mr. Bruce in the flesh for the first time since spring training.

Bruce has been rated the best prospect in the minor leagues by Baseball America, Sporting News, most scouts, anybody with good baseball sense and fans of the Reds since last year.

He has spent the season at Louisville, where in 49 games he hit .364 with nine doubles, five triples, 10 HR, 37 RBIs and eight stolen bases.

He leads the International League in hitting and hits (67) and ranks among the IL leaders in slugging percentage (.630, 3rd), runs scored (34, 4th), extra-base hits (24, T4th) and RBI (T5th).

All that was wasted in the minors. Now it’s time to put those numbers to good use.

A roster move to make room for Bruce will be made before Tuesday’s game.

Rob Butcher

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...incinnatireds/

This is great. This gives Baker less room to make mistakes.

Dunn, Bruce, Griffey, and Patterson (not to mention Chris Dickerson, Danny Dorn, Drew T. Anderson, etc.) . . . There has to be someone who needs a left-handed bat in the outfield.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It's about gosh darn farting time.

Woo.

Lets hope the second half of this story is a Patterson DFA
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?