Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 08 Bowman

08 Bowman

Any of oyu collectors bust open any 08 Bowmansyet? I busted 2 boxes, got some of the Reds prospects, am trying to figure out how many/who is in the set-rookies, first cards, etc. How did you guys do for autos/mem cards?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 08 Bowman

There doesn't seem to be as good of prospects this year in Bowman 2008. I've only got a single Hobby pack, and the best I got was Austin Jackson. GL..

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Any of oyu collectors bust open any 08 Bowmansyet? I busted 2 boxes, got some of the Reds prospects, am trying to figure out how many/who is in the set-rookies, first cards, etc. How did you guys do for autos/mem cards?
    How on earth can you guys afford cards nowadays? What's a box of Bowman 08 run, anyways? It seems there are packs of cards from various vendors running around $2-5 each. That's really bad. I remember when cards costed 50 cents per pack, but I guess today they just keep pumping out more and more and more brands of cards. Sorry to rain on your parade, I just can't believe how greedy the card business has gotten.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aerontg View Post
    How on earth can you guys afford cards nowadays? What's a box of Bowman 08 run, anyways? It seems there are packs of cards from various vendors running around $2-5 each. That's really bad. I remember when cards costed 50 cents per pack, but I guess today they just keep pumping out more and more and more brands of cards. Sorry to rain on your parade, I just can't believe how greedy the card business has gotten.
    Of course when cards were 50 cents per pack what were people making a year, 15,000? Then there was the odds that what could you sell for anything back then? Now days there are much stronger odds that you can really make some money from your $5 pack. I am not so sure that the companies are greedy as you call it, the money is justified. The card quality is MUCH better, the variety you can get is much better and think of the stuff you can actually get. Cards with game used materials on them, autographs of players.... both alive and dead. Yeah, packs are more expensive (some upwards of $1,000 a pack) but you can still get your $1 pack if you want, Topps Total is out there somewhere.

Personally, I try to just buy singles. Keeps my prices down and I get exactly what I want.

i recently purchased both todd frazier and devin mesoraco bowman sterling autographs...in hopes that one day they will be hall of famers

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    but you can still get your $1 pack if you want, Topps Total is out there somewhere.
    Total was a wonderful set, but unfortunately they haven't made it for several years, at least not for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    Total was a wonderful set, but unfortunately they haven't made it for several years, at least not for baseball.
    Yeah, I think they did stop making it in 2006 didn't they? There is another similar set that is real cheap like it out, I bought a few packs for my cousin a month ago but I don't remember what it was.

I loved Total because they had all sorts of oddball players not normally included. I only collect Reds, so to me the sets with a larger number of players are of more value than the high end premium stuff with the same 3 or 4 players recycled over and over again. The Kahn's sets they give away at GABP are a treasure trove, every year there's a few players you won't find in any set Topps or Upper Deck puts out. That had Victor Santos in last year's set for crying out loud. Not the kind of thing that will bring much of a financial return, but it's what I love digging around for.

Doug, think your thinking of the Topps Opening Day, .99 a pack. My wife actually picked up a handful of htose packs last night for me, we had a long talk about them-they are what cards used to be, cheap, nice (actually had a nice, simple design this year), gum, good for the kids. There def are higher $ packs, I dont have the money for the high high dollar ones, although I am always tempted. I tried for a while to keep up with it and collect it all-just too much, and too much that doesn't hold value. Now, I buy a few packs of new basic releases start of each year, and then pick a few brands/releases I like to buy boxes each year. At this point, I pretty much only buy boxes of Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Allen&Ginter. Like the "old timey" sets when they come out, or the artists sets-loved the Gallery set when it was out, so may buy those as well, depending on product and cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    Doug, think your thinking of the Topps Opening Day, .99 a pack. My wife actually picked up a handful of htose packs last night for me, we had a long talk about them-they are what cards used to be, cheap, nice (actually had a nice, simple design this year), gum, good for the kids. There def are higher $ packs, I dont have the money for the high high dollar ones, although I am always tempted. I tried for a while to keep up with it and collect it all-just too much, and too much that doesn't hold value. Now, I buy a few packs of new basic releases start of each year, and then pick a few brands/releases I like to buy boxes each year. At this point, I pretty much only buy boxes of Bowman, Bowman Chrome, Allen&Ginter. Like the "old timey" sets when they come out, or the artists sets-loved the Gallery set when it was out, so may buy those as well, depending on product and cost.
    Thats what it was. Speaking of gum in the packs..... I still have some 80's boxes downstairs with gum in the packs. I almost want to try a piece..... but I am scared of dying this young.

Haha, I bustd a box of 86 Topps last yeaqr,the gum was pretty much dust in the packs, crumbled at the touch. At least now, the packs that do use gum, they wrap it first before it goes in the pack

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

One question.

What would make you want to open a box of '86 Topps?

^ Had a couple laying around, one was in bad shape, the wrap was half off the box, so decidd to go ahead and bust it open, see what was inside.

The sports trading card business changed in the '90's more toward a focus on the special inserts and away from general card collecting. Subsequently the prices for packs of cards increased dramatically. It became a business to all - including kids. Hopefully the new Topps cards will stay around because they are more geared toward collecting.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I remember the Vince Coleman rookie card being the prize of 1986 Topps.

Then Fielder went crazy in Detroit five years later and everyone went back to their commons to find his rookie Blue Jays card. I think it may have even topped out at $6 in the early 90's.

Is there any card going for more than a $1 in that set? I don't think it ended up with any significant rookies unless you include the Bonds XRC in the updated set.

Turn Off Ads?