Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2424849505152

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Re: Yonder Alonso

The fact that they didn't cave gives me a lot of confidence in WJ. You can't become so infatuated with what a player adds to your team that you ignore what he costs. That was WKs problem. There's lots of talent out there to be had, it's salary that's the prohibitive constant. If you lose talent, it can be replaced, but if you waste money on a player, it's gone forever.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 08-17-2008 at 11:49 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Super post, kpresidente!

A huge improvement in the way the organization is run was when the GM realized that top dollars go to top, PROVEN, players. The previous GM spent top dollar on bottom talent. The one before that piddled around too much (or was hamstrung).

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    If you lose talent, it can be replaced, but if you waste money on a player, it's gone forever.
    if you lose talent, you lose time, which is gone forever.

let's contend within my lifetime. Tick tock.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    if you lose talent, you lose time, which is gone forever.
    let's contend within my lifetime. Tick tock.
    Fair enough, but that's the thinking that's paying Gonzo, Freel and Cordero's salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    The fact that they didn't cave gives me a lot of confidence in WJ. You can't become so infatuated with what a player adds to your team that you ignore what he costs. That was WKs problem. There's lots of talent out there to be had, it's salary that's the prohibitive constant. If you lose talent, it can be replaced, but if you waste money on a player, it's gone forever.
    and

Fair enough, but that's the thinking that's paying Gonzo, Freel and Cordero's salaries.
    The fact is, the Reds needed to put a team on the field right out of the chute. And you make the moves according to what your current needs are. I'll agree that extending Freel has proven to be a mistake, particular because his style of play has been fraught with peril, as they say. But giving Gonzo a three year deal, which clearly was based on the Reds being that far away from having a replacement (at a minimum) was not wasted dollars. Circumstances have made the contract a burden (family issues and later the injury), but those were not known or expected.

And I disagree with those who suggest that Cordero's signing was a luxury. Perhaps as constructed this team would not have competed for the post season, but coming into the season, if we had gotten better results from both Harang and Arroyo, we'd be a lot better postion. We knew Griffey was either going in season or at season's end and we weren't sure which direction the club would go with Dunn, but this club was not as abysmal as many stated. What we have witnessed, frankly, was the worst case scenario and it all hit.

Now, I'm glad to see Jocketty continuing with his predecessor began, but lets be clear, it's not a dramatically new direction. WK was stocking this club up and, with the possible exception of Bailey, he managed its developing assets quite well. We'll never know what he would have done with Griffey and Dunn, but I doubt it would have been much different than what we saw.

That said, I'm glad the Alonso deal was reached no matter how late. The club is continuing what it's being doing since Castellini took over, Cast's haste in dismissing WK not withstanding.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Where is Alonso going to play? Anyone know yet?

physical tmmr and two days of workouts, then Sarasota on Wednesday.

Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It's called hardball.
    Yep. Just smart negotiating.

This may be a stupid question, but why does he get tuition payments? I know we already covered that he was on scholarship last year, but is he still going to school there?

Senor Votto

I can't wait to hear George Grande call him Yonzer Alonso every day.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but why does he get tuition payments? I know we already covered that he was on scholarship last year, but is he still going to school there?
    It's not uncommon for college juniors to ask to have their remaining tuition covered (although you'd think with a $2M signing bonus he could afford himself). I know former ML player's uncle and he had a similar clause and if ever decided to go back and finish college, the Orioles (his original team) would have to pay the tuition. I don't know if that is open-ended.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?