Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Mets at Reds 7-17-08

Re: Mets at Reds 7-17-08

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Seriously? The rotation is going to be a strong point going forward. Many teams would kill to have a rotation of Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, and a young kid like Bailey or Thompson.
    I can appreciate that, the Reds are improving, I just want to see them make the pitching even stronger yet. Solid depth.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Billy's effective. There's the rub.
    Mets fans last Sept. disagree. He's choked quite a few big games. He was effective tonight, though.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Seriously? The rotation is going to be a strong point going forward. Many teams would kill to have a rotation of Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Johnny Cueto, Bronson Arroyo, and a young kid like Bailey or Thompson.
    It sure is better than the last 9 years...or maybe more. But there are problems. Harang is iffy with the current revelation about his forearm. We have to hope it will heal. Volquez is young and good. Let's hope nothing happens there that might negate him (ala Jack Armstrong). Cueto has the potential to be good, but as we saw tonight, he doesn't handle adversity very well. He's also young so there is hope. Arroyo is really hard to figure out. I don't know what to think of him and neither does the baseball world either. Bailey and Thompson are question marks and they could blow up or blossom. It's a crap shoot.

Lots of questions and not many answers here. I think the baseball lords are watching us, but no one is willing to place a good bet on how this will work out.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Stormy, I agree, but a night like tonight just highlights the acquisition and how crazy it was to spend $50 million on a 33-year old (average) closer, especially when the team is years away from competing.
    It's post like these that make me feel all nostalgic. It was only a few short months ago where I was saying the same things but was being blasted all over the board for always being negative.

That being said, you couldn't be more right. Especially when you think that he is on the wrong side of the hill. His performance will not likely get materially better. And when the youngsters start hitting their strides (like in 2010), all we will hear is that they need a better bullpen, especially a better closer.

Wayne wasn't a good GM. His area of expertise is in talent evaluation. There is a difference and we are paying the price for it.

Turn Off Ads?