Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Reds vs. Padres 7-21-08

Re: Reds vs. Padres 7-21-08

2 and 0 ...I am yelling it's a changeup......and after that swing.....forget it....it was all he was going to see.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Going for the high pitch is a little league move. Sorry if he is OPS'ing or whatever, he looked bad there when we needed him to have a good eye. Something this team just can't resist doing--hacking away.

I came in late on this one and I should have stayed away, but it's like the car wreck on the side of the road. I cannot resist looking. That's three games since the break we should have won.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

I came in late on this one and I should have stayed away, but it's like the car wreck on the side of the road. I cannot resist looking. That's three games since the break we should have won.
    Sort of how I feel most nights watching the Reds...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    2 and 0 ...I am yelling it's a changeup.
    watching with the wife and I tell her no way is Bruce getting a 2-0 fastball

Ross had not hacked at all this game.....he just saw something fast actually coming for Hoffman....and he could not resist. Many hitters have this problem....I had it back in college....so that's why I am here.....posting on RZ.

Going for the high pitch is a little league move. Sorry if he is OPS'ing or whatever, he looked bad there when we needed him to have a good eye. Something this team just can't resist doing--hacking away.

and people wonder what the offense will look like when the 2 most patient hitters go away.

Pre-1920's baseball?

I also wonder what use Valentin has. How many pitches did he see?

And Ross is just Ross. He is hitting well this year, so we forgive the rest of his faults. Sad part is there's not much better out there. Javier is the guys who gets my goat. He can't catch, he hacks and he takes up space. He needs to go soon. Bruce is young. He's not there yet but probably will be. The Reds got good at-bats from everyone until Ross' misjudgment and the rest of the gang did what they do best. popup and strike out.

Guys, I've been a Reds fan forever, but losing them in the 9th after having your $50 million closer pitch batting practice and then loading the bases with no outs and see strikeout on a bad pitch, a pop up on the first pitch, and another strikeout is a little much to take. Forgive my testiness, but this is the reason why this team does not look very good for 2009. Too many parts that don't fit.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Welsh goes off on the Reds while George pimps Hoffman for the Hall of Fame over and over. Chris almost yells at George. Great theatre.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

I also wonder what use Valentin has. How many pitches did he see?
    the problem was the pitch he swung at almost hit him.
    Last edited by flyer85; 07-21-2008 at 10:41 PM.

Forget about george.....he is off on his own trip down...offering no analysis or in depth commentary..EVER. Except when someone sadly passes away.

In times like these...I wish for the musings of Mike De La Hoz.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    simple ... swing at balls
    Yep, hacked their way out of a good inning.

GO TEAM.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Yep, hacked their way out of a good inning.

GO TEAM.
    that's what really bothers me about this team, they rarely allow a pitcher to get himself into trouble. They have too many hackers in the lineup and it needs to be addressed. I also think Dusty is a big part of the problem.

Updated Reds HR list (players in italics are active):

Reds All-Time Home Run Leaders
    1. Johnny Bench - 389
    2. Frank Robinson - 324
    3. Tony Perez - 287
    4. Adam Dunn - 266
    5. Ted Kluszewski - 251
    6. George Foster - 244
    7. Ken Griffey, Jr. - 208
    8. Eric Davis - 203
    9. Barry Larkin - 198
    10. Vada Pinson - 186
    11. Wally Post - 172
    12. Gus Bell - 160
    13. Joe Morgan - 152
    13. Pete Rose - 152
    15. Lee May - 147
    16. Dan Driessen - 133
    17. Reggie Sanders - 125
    18. Ernie Lombardi - 120
    19. Sean Casey - 118
    20. Frank McCormick - 110
    21. Dave Parker - 107
    22. Chris Sabo - 104
    23. Dave Concepcion - 101
    24. Gordy Coleman - 98
    25. Paul O'Neill - 96
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    that's what really bothers me about this team, they rarely allow a pitcher to get himself into trouble. They have too many hackers in the lineup and it needs to be addressed. I also think Dusty is a big part of the problem.
    I'm not blaming Dusty because this team has a history long before Dusty. Remember Narron encouraging Dunn to swing more often? One example of folks all over baseball really not understanding baseball. Or something like that.

Truth is we have the young Bruce, who can be exused because he's so young, Phillips, Encarnacion, Ross, Patterson, Valentin, and sometimes even Votto and Griffey who love to hack at that first pitch. Tonight, Hoffman didn't throw many strikes--I estimated it at 8--but there we were just swinging from the heels. Leave him alone and he walks in the tying runs, but nooo. Unintelligent hitting. OTOH, we had Cordero doing the same thing and what were the Padres doing? Not swinging at those low off the plate pitches and he walks three, finally has to throw one in there and the result was 3 runs. Why can't our guys see this? I have no idea.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?