Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds Rumblings

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Reds Rumblings

MLBTR.com:

John Fay says that Walt has talked to 3 or 4 of the 9 free agents and speculates that Affeldt, Weathers, Hairston, and Lincoln.

Also on the site they think one possible destination for Bobby Abreu would be the Reds. They state he would want a three year deal. YIKES!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Rumblings

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Also on the site they think one possible destination for Bobby Abreu would be the Reds. They state he would want a three year deal. YIKES!
    Ugh
    Go BLUE!!!

Abreu/Dickerson/Bruce I could live with that, but at what price and term? 2 years 20 million, I say yes... 3 years 30+ million... no thanks...

3 years 30 mil may seem like a lot, but I'd do it. I'd like Abreu to be priority no.1 on the Reds free agent targets.

Wow, I can't imagine a deal I would want to see less. $10 million a year for a guy who will be 35 before the season starts and hits lefthanded.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Wow, I can't imagine a deal I would want to see less. $10 million a year for a guy who will be 35 before the season starts and hits lefthanded.
    And is an awful defensive outfielder.

From what I've seen (and read from NY sportswriters) Abreu won't go to the wall or fence to catch a ball. The phillies got better after losing him (and got nothing in return for trading him). He won't take us to a World Series, so why should we sign him?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    From what I've seen (and read from NY sportswriters) Abreu won't go to the wall or fence to catch a ball. The phillies got better after losing him (and got nothing in return for trading him). He won't take us to a World Series, so why should we sign him?
    b/c he would be our best offensive OF until Bruce fully develops

Abreu does plenty right in my book.

Haunted by walks

Whether or not it's the right deal, Abreu has as much baggage as Dunn had.

Guys, 10 mill per year isn't much in baseball today... Look at what Lohse just made from the Cardinals... Abreu is a solid player, sure he's getting older, but he is worth every bit of 10 million per... if he wants more 12+ per, tell him to take a hike... Imagine trading for Holliday and signing Abreu... That could make us a contender pretty quickly...

I say Abreu because I cant see the Reds pulling a Holiday type deal without getting really hosed and who else is worthy of any type of discussion on the free agent market, it really is a miss mash of old old guys out there and virtually none right handed unless you like Baldelli.
    Last edited by icehole3; 10-05-2008 at 12:22 PM.

10 Million is 1/8 of our payroll. And you'd be paying it to a left hitter (when you need a righty), who plays questionable defense, who numbers are going to start declining. And he plays the same position as a guy who is 21, who's numbers are going to increase (probably dramatically), who will play way better defense for league minimum.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Bobby Abreu Bats Left
    Age 34 Salary 2008: $16,000,000
    Career .300 .405 .498 .902
    3 Yr splits
    vs. Left .292 .370 .432 .802
    vs. Right .292 .395 .470 .865

Again another bat that the Reds could use, one that can hit both right and left handed pitching. Yet, I still don’t see Abreu asking to take a pay cut to come to Cincinnati.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    b/c he would be our best offensive OF until Bruce fully develops

Abreu does plenty right in my book.
    And he would be by far our worst outfielder defensively. Offensively he is good, but defensively he is Edwin like. It negates most of his offensive contributions.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And he would be by far our worst outfielder defensively. Offensively he is good, but defensively he is Edwin like. It negates most of his offensive contributions.
    Defensively, Abreu doesn't do much right.

He used to have a good arm, but that's fading.

He shouldn't play RF anymore, that's for sure.

If Abreu ended up in LF for the Reds, IMO his offense would trump any of his defensive shortcomings...

But Abreu wouldn't be cheap by any stretch of the imagination, and I would have rather kept Adam Dunn in LF than to overpay for Bobby Abreu.

Regardless, I don't see Abreu coming to Cincinnati for market value money. We'd have to overpay him to get his services, and that would be a tremendously bad idea for the Reds.

Turn Off Ads?