Turn Off Ads?
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

That competitive comment was interesting and so true. I get tired of hearing that. Somehow that has got to change.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    A visit with Griffey

By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 02:23 PM

Griffey believes in what the Reds are doing and even sees possible success.

“The biggest thing is the attitude,” he said. “They’re so worried about just wanting to be competitive. They should be talking about winning. You have to want to win.

“That goes for everybody — front office to the players to the scouts to the fans to management,” he said. “When I came back after hitting my 600th home run, my reception was awesome. That should be for everybody, not just because somebody reached a milestone. The fans should put all their energy into supporting every at-bat. Everybody needs to pull together.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...incinnatireds/
    You can tell this guy grew up a Reds fan, and still cares about the Reds. Hopefully the team can find a spot for him after retirement.

One more HR, Junior, and then you can rest easy. I'll be rooting for the Sox to go all the way this fall.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    You can tell this guy grew up a Reds fan, and still cares about the Reds. Hopefully the team can find a spot for him after retirement.

One more HR, Junior, and then you can rest easy. I'll be rooting for the Sox to go all the way this fall.
    I want a D-Backs/White Sox World Series in the worst way.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    stranger things have happened!
    sorry we're boring

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I want a Rays/Cubs World Series with the Rays winning.

A sweep would be awesome, but the Cubs losing regardless is the desired outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I want a Rays/Cubs World Series with the Rays winning.

A sweep would be awesome, but the Cubs losing regardless is the desired outcome.
    Short of the desired Arizona-Sox series, I'd take that, but I would prefer the Cubs lose in the first round of the playoffs. Nothing like seeing those idiots in "Wrigleyville" have to cry in their beer another year.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

"So Fla Red"

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    The revenge part has nothing to do with his declining skillset. My revenge would be in that the Reds surrounded both players with slugs and managers who had no clue on how to either build or manage a contending club.
    I think you are confusing the franchise's decade long incompetence with getting revenge. It's not like the complete lack of direction, farm system and managment incompetence was something intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    I think you are confusing the franchise's decade long incompetence with getting revenge. It's not like the complete lack of direction, farm system and managment incompetence was something intentional.
    Maybe, I don't know.

But the revenge comment has a lot to do with a dumb choice of words. It's just a pleasure to watch hitters work the count and not go up hacking. I always thought that Dunn and Griffey were intelligent hitters and the results showed it over time. To throw them in the trash and see them do wel elsewhere when surrounded with talent players makes me mad. For too long we've held on to mininal players and extending them while knowing they are not up to snuff. It's my problem, I know, but it doesn't make it any easier to see players we give away do well elsewhere while we struggle for runs as we lose 90+ games.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Maybe, I don't know.

But the revenge comment has a lot to do with a dumb choice of words. It's just a pleasure to watch hitters work the count and not go up hacking. I always thought that Dunn and Griffey were intelligent hitters and the results showed it over time. To throw them in the trash and see them do wel elsewhere when surrounded with talent players makes me mad. For too long we've held on to mininal players and extending them while knowing they are not up to snuff. It's my problem, I know, but it doesn't make it any easier to see players we give away do well elsewhere while we struggle for runs as we lose 90+ games.
    Who in recent memory did the Reds 'give away' that is doing well elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Aaron Boone has millions of people that hate him.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Aaron Boone has millions of people that hate him.
    Well, I wouldn't call that trade a give away. It was largely believed at the time that the Reds got the better end of the deal. Still, last year, coming off the bench for Florida, is his only year of OPSing over .700 since leaving the Reds. Claussen managed to produce reasonably well in 2005 before he needed shoulder surgery. Overall, though, it was a trade that helped the Reds for one year and hasn't hurt them at all since losing Boone.

Well, I wouldn't call that trade a give away. It was largely believed at the time that the Reds got the better end of the deal. Still, last year, coming off the bench for Florida, is his only year of OPSing over .700 since leaving the Reds. Claussen managed to produce reasonably well in 2005 before he needed shoulder surgery. Overall, though, it was a trade that helped the Reds for one year and hasn't hurt them at all since losing Boone.
    The World Champions liked the return and probably would consider it a give away.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    The World Champions liked the return and probably would consider it a give away.
    I think you mean the 'League Champions'. The Marlins were the 'World Champions' that year. And even though Boone helped beat the Red Sox in one game, he helped the opponents more in all his other playoff games. He then signed a $5.75mm contract and missed the entire year with injury. Sure, the Yankees didn't give up much to get him, but the Reds didn't give up much either. Because the Reds got a decent starting pitcher for one year out of it, which is more than the Yankees got out of the trade, I'd say it worked out for the Reds.

Aaron Boone 2003 playoffs:
    .170 BA, .196 OBP, .302 SLG, .498 OPS

IIRC - One Sean Casey (the Mayor) has gotten a World Series Ring and is now playing with the RED SOX who return I believe was Dave Williams.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Short of the desired Arizona-Sox series, I'd take that, but I would prefer the Cubs lose in the first round of the playoffs. Nothing like seeing those idiots in "Wrigleyville" have to cry in their beer another year.
    My preference remains that the Cubs lose in the World Series, rather than other rounds of the playoffs. To be that close to finally winning the World Series and to not complete the task would be most excellent.

Turn Off Ads?