Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Reds vs Nats 8/3/08

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Reds vs Nats 8/3/08

So far, Votto is liking the 2 hole.

Tomorrow he will hit 7th.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Patterson hits a one out solo HR in the 9th to cut it to 4-2.

Patterson!

He'll be batting leadoff tomorrow.

Swept by the Nationals....maybe they aren't the worst team in baseball...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Swept by the Nationals....maybe they aren't the worst team in baseball...
    They still are

Oh boy. We can look forward to more Corey Patterson now. He's in a groove.

The new post-Griffey era leader: it's Corey Patterson! Seriously, we'll lose at least 90 and right now we are worse than the Nationals.

The Reds scored 10 runs and accumulated 19 hits in three games against the majors' worst team. On the other side, the worst team scored 19 on the Reds and 32 hits. The Reds also committed 5 errors in the three games. Mercy.

Yep, this team is very close to contention.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Doc Rogers on Extra Innings claiming Patterson "didn't get a chance" and is what this team needs for a spark.

His proof...2 hits in 2 days, a HR today and a stolen base.

I don't listen to his show, and only had the radio on for a second. I just hope he's joking around and not serrious. Otherwise...here's your sign.

I have about half-listened, but I can't tell if he's serious or not. He's so low key and puts on that positive hat (and then agrees with the negative callers). He's a real mess IMHO.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

The Reds are playing like crap right now, but man I'm still excited about going to Friday-Saturday-Sunday games against the Astros next weekend. It looks like I'll get to see both Cueto and Volquez pitch. I'm pretty pumped about that. No matter how bad they are playing there is nothing better than watching a Reds baseball game live, especially a night game.

I was at today's game. I was downright disgusted by what I saw. Here are my thoughts:

Johnny Cueto has amazing stuff. However, he (like most of the Reds pitchers) have problems in putting batters away when they have 2 strikes on them.

The First inning defense: Adam Dunn and Brandon Phillips put the Reds in a huge hole. Dunn's misplay of the single was something straight out of little league. Later in the game, he fell making a throw into second base. Maybe it's a small sample, but his defense was plain scary out there--I think his defense takes five million off his asking price.

Phillips ducked on a bloop single he was going out to catch in the first inning and put his glove over his head. I've never seen a major leaguer do that, and it wasn't pretty.

The offense: It stunk. Bruce and Votto hit the ball hard--(I missed CPatt's homer, I was in line with my kids so they could run the bases after the game)--but that was about it. Phillip's getting himself off second base was terrible--it basically killed a rally.

I've thought all year that the Reds players do very little advance thinking about what they are going to do when they come to the plate. It's as they have no idea who the opposing pitcher is, what he is going to throw or what he threw the guy in front of them. Ballaster threw a lot of pitches today, but every time he was on the ropes, the Reds just hacked away.

Additionally, the 7-8-9 batters (Patterson, Ross, Cueto) were just giving outs away. Once the Nats got past EE, it was pretty clear sailing until Kepp came up again. Further, Jocketty has done Baker no favors with the Reds bench. Carrying 3 catchers when you have Patterson as your only extra OF (I assume Hairston couldn't play today) meant Baker was very limited in what he could do.

It was painful to be at Nats stadium today as a Reds fan. Hopefully, by opening day 2009 these glaring problems will be fixed.

Turn Off Ads?