Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox

Re: Griffey Jr Traded to the White Sox (Pending Griffey Approval)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Will he approve it???
    If he doesn't then he doesn't want to play in the playoffs. He will have a real good chance with the ChiSox. He has no chance with the Reds.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Will he approve it???
    For his own sake, I hope he does. I know he's picky on where he wants to play, but it's maybe 10 weeks at most that he has to sacrifice for another shot at the postseason.

I suspect we won't hear anything for a bit though. Marty mentioned numerous times the past few nights how the Reds wouldn't get to Washington until around 4am this morning, and how most guys wouldn't get to bed until around 5am. I suspect we won't know until the early afternoon, because Griffey's probably either sleeping on it now, or he's sleeping and doesn't even know what's going on at all.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    He better. He'll get grilled if he doesn't.

He's always said he wants to win so now he has a chance to prove it by going to a good team. If he turns it down, it'll look like he doesn't care about winning and only wants to rack up stats.
    How exactly is that? Couldn't he also just want to finish his career in Cincinnati? Why he would want to with these broadcasters I don't know. I hope that he accepts, it sure would be nice to see him playing in the postseason.

High five!

What kind of return could we get from the Sox?

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

If true, even knowing it is the right thing to do, this will sting a bit personally.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Wow! That was fast. I wonder if any of the things that went on over the weekend sped things up?
    I think so. I'm guessing that Bob pushed for Wayne to trade him after his widely publicized gesture. That may have been his reason for going to Houston.

The return won't be much. Griffey doesn't appear to much (if any) of an upgrade for the White Sox. I think they are basically taking him off our hands, though undoubtedly we will need to pay them to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    How exactly is that? Couldn't he also just want to finish his career in Cincinnati?
    He could, but it would be pretty pathetic if you ask me. He has always said he wants a ring. He'll have a chance now. He has zero chance with the Reds. He needs to accept this trade. It's only 2 months of his life.

Like you said, I don't know why on Earth he would really care about finishing his career in Cincy. Yes, he grew up here and his dad played here, but his time here has been pretty rough.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Ken Rosenthal:

Ken Griffey Jr. has never played in a World Series. He might be on the verge of getting his chance.

The Reds have traded Griffey to the White Sox, pending his approval. Griffey will decide Thursday morning whether he will approve the deal, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. It is not known what the Reds would receive in return.
    Griffey, as a player with 10 years of major-league service, five with the same club, has the right to block any deal. The White Sox attempted to acquire him from the Reds at the trade deadline in 2005, but the trade reportedly was nixed by Reds ownership for financial reasons.

The White Sox, leading the American League Central by a half-game, would use Griffey mostly in the outfield, the source said. However, they do not have an obvious spot for him unless they make another deal.

The Sox are set at the corners with Carlos Quentin in left and Jermaine Dye in right. They could play Nick Swisher at first to open center for Griffey, a move that would reduce the playing time of first baseman Paul Konerko. But Griffey has not played center regularly since 2006.

Griffey, 36, is batting .245 this season with a .355 on-base percentage, 15 home runs and 53 RBIs in 359 at-bats. Earlier this season, he hit his 600th home run.
    Sad sad day in Cincinnati...

Quote Originally Posted by rdiersin View Post
    How exactly is that? Couldn't he also just want to finish his career in Cincinnati?
    Sure he could, but Junior has stated repeatedly his desire to win a title.

Quote Originally Posted by puca View Post
    I'm guessing that Bob pushed for Wayne to trade him.

Wayne's back? awesome

I'm with you-- there'll be no return, unless the Reds kicked in a lot of cash.

regardless of the return, I like the move. if Jr ends the season with the Reds, we won't know the effect of playing without him-- because Dusty's going to play him.

also, the Reds need to play hungrier. Can't do that with Jr around.

best of luck to Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Ken Rosenthal:

Sad sad day in Cincinnati...
    Not for many, like myself. I'm ready for a new era of Reds baseball.

I know it's not JR's fault, but when I think of him and the Reds I think of losing. That's all it's been, unfortunately.

This team needs some major changes. JR leaving is just the start.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

What a shocking and sad way for Junior to leave town, if it goes down. So many people will remember this last controversy with Brantley and it sure looks to me like it all came down on Bob's visit to Houston.

Junior's tenure here has been a Greek tragedy.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    What a shocking and sad way for Junior to leave town, if it goes down. So many people will remember this last controversy with Brantley and it sure looks to me like it all came down on Bob's visit to Houston.

It'd be sad if he were being traded to a non-contender. Instead, he's being given a chance to compete for a title. I'm sorry Junior's tenure in Cincy wasn't a more successful one, but at this point in his career, I as a Reds fan have no regrets about his departure and wish him all the best.

Wow, definatley a mix bagged of emotions. If we were going to trade him, the southside would have been the place I perfer. I want to see the prospects.

Gotta assume he approves it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I disagree. It made sense to get him away from Dusty. The timing is unfortunate, but the clock expires tonight.

agreed. the best laid plans.

Turn Off Ads?