Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark View Post
    I was beginning to wonder..... Although Walt's reluctance to comment led me to believe they would not resign him.

I honestly do not know if AZ is the right place. I hope he goes nuts and takes them to a WS. I really do. I just don't think the marriage of Adam Dunn and the Reds was a good one after the honeymoon. Just my opinion. I am sure there are a lot of people who disagree and that's Ok too.

I have no idea if Walt would pursue him. I doubt it. There are so many behind the scenes issues at play here, I seriously doubt they would re-commit to him.

I think Walt was the first GM to come in and take the professional stand with Dunn and Jr. Walt knew the skill set they possessed was not worth the continued investment. Up to this point, the Reds front office had their heads in the clouds waiting for the next homerun.
    Pennant or bust!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'll feel a lot better about the trade if Micah Owings is included in the deal. He's struggled this year but last year he posted a 4.30 ERA, 6.25 K/9, 2.12 K/BB, and .761 OPS against as a rookie in 152.2 innings. He's only 25 years old and still has a chance to develop into a fine middle of the rotation starter, plus the dude can flat out hit.
    Agree 100%. Then it would start feeling like it has some semblance of sanity.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

If Owings is the better of the two PTBNLs, I don't know if I'm happy with the deal. I know it's all fun to read about what a great hitter for a pitcher the guy is, but he hasn't exactly been a phenomenal pitcher, especially this year.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...h-Owings.shtml

I think it's going to take Scherzer or Parker for me to give the unqualified thumbs-up. Like I said, Buck is intriguing- but still quite the question mark given his age.

Gerardo Parra would be A-OK as well- he's just 21 and already in Double-A. He's struggled at the plate since the promotion, but plays CF and can run.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=467827

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The return isn't going to be Owings or Scherzer -- if either of those two were on the table at any point, this deal would've gotten done at the deadline.

Remember, Arizona had the leverage here since they were (according to reports) the claiming team.

I'd be shocked if the PTBNL were anything more than back-end throw ins from the low minors.
    That's exactly how I'm seeing it.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Because we don't know yet.

All they can give us is:

"We traded a player that hit 270 homers for us, but we can't tell you who we've accquired..."

Do you honsetly believe that the two players are going to be anything of value?

You know what? I don't need to really logically justify my emotions right now.

I'm pissed. Plain and simple.
    270 homers, with 100% of them not leading to any postseason appearances.

I'm not blaming Dunn for that. But the team has tried (and I use that word loosely) to build around him for years, and it's repeatedly failed. Time to move on. Dunn isn't nearly as valuable to the rest of baseball as he is to Redszone. I'm sorry, that's just a fact.

Not one single person on this board can even remotely begin to assume they know what Jocketty is thinking, nor what his plans are. Not one. Until we see the whole plan, I don't think it's fair to destroy a guy that has a track record that speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    If Owings is the better of the two PTBNLs, I don't know if I'm happy with the deal. I know it's all fun to read about what a great hitter for a pitcher the guy is, but he hasn't exactly been a phenomenal pitcher, especially this year.

I think it's going to take Scherzer or Parker for me to give the unqualified thumbs-up. Like I said, Buck is intriguing- but still quite the question mark given his age.
    Do people REALLY think that Scherzer or Parker is going to be involved?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

The return isn't going to be Owings or Scherzer -- if either of those two were on the table at any point, this deal would've gotten done at the deadline.

Remember, Arizona had the leverage here since they were (according to reports) the claiming team.

I'd be shocked if the PTBNL were anything more than back-end throw ins from the low minors.
    The DBacks offered Owings to the Braves in a deal for Teixeira but the Braves declined. With Tex off the market and Hudson injured the DBacks may have felt more pressure to get a deal done and include Owings in a deal for Dunn.

All they can give us is:

"We traded a player that hit 270 homers for us, but we can't tell you who we've accquired..."

How many of those HR's were hit in the playoffs?

How many of those HR's were hit in a September playoff chase?

How many of those HR"s were hit during a winning season?

Dunn was a good player for the Reds but he wasn't a great player. During his tenure he played in 0 playoff games and 1 all star game I believe. While it isn't his fault that the Reds were bad during his tenure it signals a sea change with this organization. Jocketty isn't an idiot. He is going to make the move where he thinks he got the most value for Dunn. Whether or not you agree with it is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    There's more money for the offseason now than there was this morning?

How?
    I guess they are counting the $4 million being split by the Reds/Dbacks as an increase of $2 million to the coffers.

Wasn't there a rumor that the D-Backs offered Chad Tracy for Dunn before the deadline? Would that have been a worse deal than this?

The return isn't going to be Owings or Scherzer -- if either of those two were on the table at any point, this deal would've gotten done at the deadline. Besides, there's no way 'Zona would cut on a pitcher and hitter of Owings capabilities this early in his career for a guy that is basically a rent-a-player.

And also remember, Arizona had the leverage here since they were (according to reports) the claiming team.

I don't agree with that. The D-backs were desperate. The Dodgers landed Manny, and then Hudson got hurt. The Reds didn't have to do anything. They could've let Dunn walk at the end of the year instead of taking some kind of crap Arizona would throw at them.

The pressure was on Arizona.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

All they can give us is:

Players can well be PTBNL because they have to pass through waivers, becuase they haven't passed through waivers, or were drafted less than a year ago. or they may be someone that Arizona wants to use for the rest of the year.

I'm certainly not going to comment on the quality of the trade until I know what it is.

We traded 6 weeks of Dunn. it's not like we traded someone who was 6 years from FA.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    The DBacks offered Owings to the Braves in a deal for Teixeira but the Braves declined. With Tex off the market and Hudson injured the DBacks may have felt more pressure to get a deal done and include Owings in a deal for Dunn.
    They offered Owings when they were bidding against other teams for Teixeira's services.

They had the Adam Dunn negotiations all to themselves since they made the waiver claim.

That changes the landscape of any deal considerably, especially when you consider the Reds seemed pretty resigned to getting whatever they could for Dunn.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    How many of those HR's were hit in the playoffs?

How many of those HR's were hit in a September playoff chase?

How many of those HR"s were hit during a winning season?

Dunn was a good player for the Reds but he wasn't a great player. During his tenure he played in 0 playoff games and 1 all star game I believe. While it isn't his fault that the Reds were bad during his tenure it signals a sea change with this organization. Jocketty isn't an idiot. He is going to make the move where he thinks he got the most value for Dunn. Whether or not you agree with it is another thing.
    Um... I think not making the playoffs had more to do with the whole team than it did with Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Nice answer.

My point was already stated but I'll repeat it just for you: Dunn is not known for his stellar Septembers.
    Neither were the teams that surrounded him.

But by all means, please continue to pretend that Dunn, and Dunn alone was the only player in September that fell apart.

Turn Off Ads?