Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Senor Votto

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

This is complete bull. The Reds can't score runs right now. Now they'll have the WORST offense in baseball. I have lost all faith in the Reds after this. I really hate the Reds right now. I won't watch a game the rest of the year. I hate Jocketty, I hate Baker, and I hate Castellini. I hope Dunn kills this team every time he bats against them right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Who knows maybe defense and speed are the new undervalued "Moneyball" skillsets?

(note: I do not buy that for one second)

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    PD says he knows who they are and we won't be impressed.
    If Daugherty's not impressed, then there's hope yet.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

What's lost in all of this is the fact that 1. Adam Dunn wasn't coming back regardless. I think when Griffey was traded, that ended that. 2. No one much had interest in him to give up anything of value. The Reds won't get squat from the Diamondbacks. PD says he knows who they are and we won't be impressed.

It's sickening.
    Well, for what it's worth, I don't put much stock in Daugherty's ablity to identify a player we'd actually be "impressed" with.

What's lost in all of this is the fact that 1. Adam Dunn wasn't coming back regardless. I think when Griffey was traded, that ended that. 2. No one much had interest in him to give up anything of value. The Reds won't get squat from the Diamondbacks. PD says he knows who they are and we won't be impressed.

It's sickening.
    If PD knows who they are then why haven't they been announced yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Yes

Now he is moving forward, we have waited for so long, now the day has come.
    "Moving" does not necessarily mean "moving forward."

The Royals have been moving for years without moving forward.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I take back everything I said about the Reds being able to compete in 2009.

And Adam Dunn is my favorite player. This sucks.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    If PD knows who they are then why haven't they been announced yet?
    On the players to be named: "The other two have already been determined. It's just the fact you have to go through procedures at this point."

On whether a decision had already been made on Dunn's future in Cincinnati: "No. We started talking trade, we got the players we wanted. As Dusty said, he’s a free agent after the season."
    "We feel we got three quality young players."

~ Assistant GM Bob Miller via C.Trent's blog

Remember when the Dunn, Griffey, Kearns outfield looked like it would be one of the best in baseball for years?
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Remember when the Dunn, Griffey, Kearns outfield looked like it would be one of the best in baseball for years?
    As a wiser man than I once said:

"The future ain't what it used to be."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

From GABP
    Monday, August 11, 2008, 05:52 PM EST

From Dusty Baker:

"It was fairly sudden. I’d heard Walt and Mr. Castellini mention yesterday that Arizona had claimed Adam Dunn and there was no deal done and nothing was shaking. The next thing I know is it’s up."

"If we thought there was a deal, Walt would not have gone to the Dominican. They persued Adam, not us."

"He’s a free agent, he can still come back, you don’t know what can happen."

On who will replace Dunn on the roster: "Talk to Walt tonight to see who is best tonight. It’ll be someone relatively young, someone out of AAA."

"It’s tougher to lose a good guy than the 40 home run guy, it’s tough to replace his offense, it’s tougher to replace the man. I really liked Adam over the short time I was here. There’s baseball decisions and there are business decisions."

"You don’t know anyting long term, you never know, it’s like planting a tree or making an investment – you don’t know if that investment is going to grow or that tree is going to bear fruit until later. You just have to see."

"No, things haven’t been the same since Griff left. Any time you lose a player or add a player, it changes the personality of the team. It changes the dynamics of the team, and when you lose two major players, it really changes the dynmaics and personality of the team."

"David slew Goliath, you know. We just have to see. You guys ask me questions, I don’t really have any more answers to."

"I’ve been in the David role for a while if you haven’t see how many runs we’ve been scoring. You do what you can do. That’s my job."

"He was working, big time. I was helping him work on it, I was a left fielder myself. He was working on it big time. I commended him on it the other day, a couple of days ago. I commended him on how he was getting better jumps, he was in the ballgame every pitch, I saw him moving when he saw a breaking ball coming and going toward the line, or staying in left-center when there was a fastball away. I just commended him."

From assistant GM Bob Miller:

On Baker: "He would have been a first-rounder, but he had some arm difficulties, pitched through them, helped them through the World Series title. He tried to pitch through them the next year-and-a-half before having surgery. He’s had 10 starts so far and looked good."

More on Baker: "Good sinkerball, he’s a battler, to pitch that long with a torn ligament, you know he’s a bulldog. We liked him in the draft, too, but he had those arm issues."

On the players to be named: "The other two have already been determined. It's just the fact you have to go through procedures at this point."

On the wiaver process: "Most teams put everyone they have through trade waivers. It’s sort of like fishing, you throw bait in the water. That’s the best way I can explain it. You put everybody out and teams claim, some teams block. Arizona was the team that had the worst record in the National League that selected Dunn when we put them on waivers. Who knows if they were blocking? We don’t know what their motives were, but they had interest in Dunn and in the last four days we had conversations and early this morning we got it done. We had conversations late last night, was talking to Walt last night and talked to him this morning in Atlanta and talked to him in the Dominican."

"We’re not allowed to say who claimed him, but there were many clubs that did claim him."

On whether a decision had already been made on Dunn's future in Cincinnati: "No. We started talking trade, we got the players we wanted. As Dusty said, he’s a free agent after the season."

"We feel we got three quality young players."

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Dallas Buck has a 4.7 K/9 this season, as a 23 year old in A ball.

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    Dallas Buck has a 4.7 K/9 this season, as a 23 year old in A ball.
    He's coming off Tommy John surgery.

"We’re not allowed to say who claimed him, but there were many clubs that did claim him."
    That seems to refute the notion that there was little interest out there for Dunn.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Pretty interesting considering that "no teams" wanted Dunn and his value was actually way lower than we thought.

Turn Off Ads?