Turn Off Ads?
Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    PD said that at least one of the players would be a name that would be recognized. He also said he knows but had beeen sworn to secrecy. C. Trent said almost the same thing. I think it's out there. Now all we need is a chair, a light, and water torture and we'll know.
    If true, that sounds a lot like Micah Owings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Well, Dallas Buck isn't what you want to see coming back as the principle in a trade like this so I'm going to have to assume he's actually a tertiary piece or, at best, the second best of the three pieces acquired considering the Reds actually threw in cash.

I'll also assume at least one of the PTBNL is an offense player and that leaves it wide open because the D'Back's don't have many of those laying around in the minors.

If rumors of the two PTBNL being agreed upon, but not announced, I'd take that to mean that both are players the D'Backs may be holding in reserve in case they needed to use them at the MLB level this season. Micah Owings? Rumored to be dangled in an effort to grab Teix, and Owings has the kind of minor league comps you like for a guy who isn't a K brute (0.38 HR/9, 2.66 BB/9, 7.94 K/9). Smells a lot like Aaron Harang (MiLB 0.56 HR/9, 2.48 BB/9, 8.06 HR/9). If Owings is included in this deal, I'd consider it a really solid deal.

I'm probably nowhere near as emotional as some probably thought I'd be about this trade. That being said, depending on the eventual return, this could be at least a five-year death blow to the franchise. The Reds actually did have a window and they've done pretty much everything imaginable to screw things up with bad drafts, poor trades, bad managerial and front office choices, and poor spending. They may have a window going forward should the kids develop, but unless Jocketty can walk the razor's edge in the offseason, that window will get nothing but smaller without Dunn in the mix.

Smells like a five-year plan. Now it's up to Jocketty to convince us that it's a two-year plan in disguise.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Eric Byrnes?
    Randy Johnson ?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Assuming no injury, there really isn't a compelling reason to believe Arroyo, Harang, and Cueto will continue allowing homers at a 14-15% HR/FB rate.
    Why can't they in this park? And pitchers like Arroyo go downhill and stay there all the time.

Harang will hopefully bounce back.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Eric Byrnes?
    Why would Arizona do that? They are contending. Dunn will be lining up next to Byrnes, not be the replacement.

It's minor league players on the 40 man.

Eric Byrnes?
    good guess... I'm really thinking we got a return like Buck/Owings/Javier Prito...
    However, I would much rather have Buck/Owings/Byrnes... But, that's two names I've heard of...

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    * What does this mean for Votto (!B or LF?) and/or EdE (3B? 1B? or LF?)?

I think, now that Dunn is gone, this opens up 1B for Votto and 3B for EE.

Expect to see them manning those positions for the rest of the year and probably next year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I think father forgot the blue font.
    Ah.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I wonder and I hope I am wrong if the offensive player might not be Chad Tracy. Remember he was rumored to be part of a deal to the Reds around trade deadline time. Maybe he is stilll part of the deal.

Why would Arizona do that? They are contending. Dunn will be lining up next to Byrnes, not be the replacement.

Actually, Dunn will be playing along side Conor Jackson and Chris Young... heard of em?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It could be a major league player who isn't named until after the season.

I'm not saying it is, but it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    I wonder and I hope I am wrong if the offensive player might not be Chad Tracy. Remember he was rumored to be part of a deal to the Reds around trade deadline time. Maybe he is stilll part of the deal.
    If it's Tracy, it won't be Owings as well. It's one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    Chad Tracy / Micah Owings / Dallas Buck

Tracy takes over at 3B, EdE moves to the OF. That would make sense, right?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Chad Tracy / Micah Owings / Dallas Buck

Tracy takes over at 3B, EdE moves to the OF. That would make sense, right?
    That would be nothing short of an outstanding return for Dunn. Considering the market right now.

I would take Tracy/Owings/Buck every day of the week and twice on Sunday... Whitesell/Owings/Bucks would be better though... in my opinion...

Turn Off Ads?