Turn Off Ads?
Page 50 of 68 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn traded to DBacks

Re: Dunn traded to DBacks

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I honestly can't think of one GM I'd desire more to have in the position of fixing the Reds.

I got a small scare there when they hired Bavasi because I thought it signalled Walt leaving. This changes that theory completely.

Wayne didn't blow up anything. Walt is.
    I hope you're right. Castellini's comments today about contending next year concern me greatly. Beyond the surface, I don't think there's any way to read that well. If he truly believes that this team can contend this year, then he's not rebuilding. If he's just saying that to appease the fans, then he's not the straight shooter he claims to be.

I guess there's also the possibility that Castellini and Jocketty are not on the same page in terms of their plans for this team. Which is also cause for concern.

I'm so skeptical of this team's delusional interpretation of the word "rebuilding" anymore that I am staying away from that stadium, arms crossed, until I see it happen. And that means the follow-through, not just the initial steps.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Edinson Volquez
    Aaron Harang
    Johnny Cueto
    Micah Owings
    Bronson Arroyo

That wouldn't be a bad rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfan View Post
    Actually, Dunn will be playing along side Conor Jackson and Chris Young... heard of em?
    Well if you know so much about these guys, you'd know that Jackson can play first base in a pinch. Byrnes is injured right now, but if he does regain health at some point, he'll be splitting time with Chad Tracy probably in a multi position platoon role (Byrnes in left vs. lefties, Tracy at first vs. righties, and Jackson playing either position). Byrnes isn't out of a job just yet, and as such, the D-Backs would be looking to keep him for the stretch run.

By the way, why does anyone want Byrnes? He's having a putrid year, and being paid as if he was good. The last guy the Reds should be targeting at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    It could be a major league player who isn't named until after the season.

I'm not saying it is, but it could be.
    I was just basing it on the available reports. Trent and PD both indicate the same thing. 2 minor leaguers off the 40 man roster. What your saying is true, but that's not what it looks like here.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

I guess there's also the possibility that Castellini and Jocketty are not on the same page in terms of their plans for this team.
    I think this is *very* unlikely.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Edinson Volquez
    Aaron Harang
    Johnny Cueto
    Micah Owings
    Bronson Arroyo

That wouldn't be a bad rotation.
    That wouldn't be a bad rotation....so long as....and if.....

Me? I'll take two more starters to pad the depth charts. And not garbage like Maloney.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Chad Tracy / Micah Owings / Dallas Buck

Tracy takes over at 3B, EdE moves to the OF. That would make sense, right?
    Don't think Tracy can be involved per PTBNL rules.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It won't be Scherzer, and a big no thanks to Peguero, so that leaves us with Micah Owings. As for the position player, I like Whitesell the most out of that group.

Micah Owings/Josh Whitesell/Dallas Buck wouldn't be a bad return.
    Whitesell is basically part of a DH platoon. I'm kinda tired of seeing a bunch of DHs on the Reds roster....

Buck just might make the competition for back end of the rotation arm interesting assuming his elbow cooperates.

Owings would make the competition for 5th starter a crowded affair.

For 6 weeks of meaningless production, it's about all one could hope for I guess.

I dunno though.....David Wright was a comp pick......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I think this is *very* unlikely.
    If Jocketty thinks this team can contend this year, then he's either delusional or not rebuilding as well.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Whitesell is basically part of a DH platoon. I'm kinda tired of seeing a bunch of DHs on the Reds roster....

Buck just might make the competition for back end of the rotation arm interesting assuming his elbow cooperates.

Owings would make the competition for 5th starter a crowded affair.

For 6 weeks of meaningless production, it's about all one could hope for I guess.

I dunno though.....David Wright was a comp pick......
    I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Whitesell was a plus defender....

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Of course they could be wrong, but Baseball America says Whitesell is a good defender at first base. But they've been wrong before...

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Chad Tracy / Micah Owings / Dallas Buck

Tracy takes over at 3B, EdE moves to the OF. That would make sense, right?
    It cannot be Chad Tracy. He is on Arizona's active roster and therefore cannot be the PTBNL for a trade with an NL team.

Now Eric Byrnes is a possibility since he is on the DL. And that might explain Marty being so happy. Byrnes is definitely Marty's type of guy.

Here is the Whitesell blurb I was talking about...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=was

I'm either in agreement with or at least sympathetic to most all of the comments here. Kudos to the fact that the board didn't go down!
    FWIW, I think this is like a Scrabble moment; where yeah, you have a z, but you need to throw all the letters in and lose a turn for a better chemistry.
    I really enjoyed Adam Dunn and wish him the best. But I believe he would've never brought a ring here to the Reds. And the Reds now are going to the mattresses. Yeah!

That wouldn't be a bad rotation....so long as....and if.....

Me? I'll take two more starters to pad the depth charts. And not garbage like Maloney.
    Of course more depth would be nice but that's a rotation I'd go to battle with.

Turn Off Ads?