Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: reds vs cards 8/17

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: reds vs cards 8/17

Edinson starts a 1-6-3 double play. 2-0 Reds heading to the bottom of the 2nd

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Lead off walk to Ankiel. That's a guaranteed run.
    Nice. Edinson gets Glaus out and a Kennedy double play to end the second.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Edinson losing the strikezone. 5 pitch walk to Ankiel and 2-0 to glaus
    Bako seemed to calm him down well. Came back with a solid pitch. Volquez, like Cueto, seems to get in to grooves where he misses and tries to come back harder. Good job by Bako nipping it in the bud.

And nice play by Volquez getting to that dribbler and turning two.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Bako hammers one....just right at Ludwick. 1 down.

Grounder to 3rd. 2 down

Dickerson K's on ball 4 but still made Lohse throw six pitches.

Dickerson K's, end of 2.

Dickerson is going to swing and miss his fair share of the time, but it sure is nice to see a leadoff hitter with a sense of the strike zone.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Dickerson strikes out swinging. 2-0 Reds after 2.

After 2 innings:

Reds 2, Cards 0

Volquez 18 pitches, 11 strikes
    Lohse 43 pitches, 29 strikes.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Volquez starting to get into a groove now. Getting ahead of the hitters and painting the corners low in the zone. 1-2-3 inning. 29 pitches after 3. Haven't seen THAT in a while.

Hairston grounds out on the first pitch after Lohse had thrown 43 pitches through two.

Bruce walks on four pitches.

Volquez is throwing a lot of curveballs in two strike counts today.

After 3 innings:

Reds 2, Cards 0

Volquez 29 pitches, 20 strikes
    Lohse 60 pitches, 38 strikes.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Dickerson K's, end of 2.

Dickerson is going to swing and miss his fair share of the time, but it sure is nice to see a leadoff hitter with a sense of the strike zone.
    In 2007 at AAA Dickerson fanned 131 times and had 52 walks in 354 at bats. Also last year, 2007, he had 31 Ks and 7 BBs in 114 AA at bats.

The year before, 2006, he had 162 Ks and 59 BBs.

This year his minor league numbers were 102 Ks and 54 walks.

From what I've seen, Dickerson is a great athlete with tremendous speed, whose hitting against righties seems to be major league level. I think he can definitely help the Reds as a platoon centerfielder or, if not, a fourth outfielder.

But I think it's premature to annoint him the centerfielder of the future. His "sense of the strike zone" hasn't been great in the minors and the Reds need to watch closely during this extended trial.

Volquez getting lots of grounders today. Very good to see. The strikeouts are down but he's at 39 pitches after 4 IP. This sort of pitch efficiency has been missing all season.

Turn Off Ads?