Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Cubs 8/19/08

Re: Reds vs Cubs 8/19/08

ee better go deep, because then it's pretty much three easy outs in a row...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice 7th by Cueto. After 7; Reds 0 , Cubs 1.

Harden 94 pitches, 62 strikes
    Cueto 111 pitches, 67 strikes

The Cubs are bringing in Marmol for the 8th. They won't push their guy over 100 pitches.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Nice, quick inning from Cueto. 7 IP, 1 ER, 110 pitches. Let's hope Dusty pulls him because the Reds need a PH. Gonna be a tough row to hoe against Marmol and Wood.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Thank goodness Johnny only threw 11 pitches that inning. I still don't like the decision to bring him back out when this team is clearly going no where.

Cueto's final line: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K

That one run should have never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    What an outing be Johnny. Get that man some runs.
    That was easy.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Thank goodness Johnny only threw 11 pitches that inning. I still don't like the decision to bring him back out when this team is clearly going no where.

Cueto's final line: 7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K

That one run should have never happened.

It's not meaningless to Cueto. It's a 1 - 0 game.

He pitched a hell of a game tonight.

He was still on form and still hitting 96 on the gun in the 7th.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

This is looking like it will be the second time this year Cueto left a game 1-0 and got the loss. The other was at Yankee Stadium.

Why the hell is Corey Patterson still on this team?

Good inning by Cueto and he still has stuff.

I know, I know, complete games (read multiple for the season) are remnants of the Jerasic Age but ask Warren Spahn, Robin Roberts or Bob Gibson about being yanked after 100 pitches. First thing is that the guy that comes out to remove them based upon pitch count might get clocked so hard that, in future games, he couldn't count. Ummm, by the way are all three of those guys still alive? :

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    It's not meaningless to Cueto. It's a 1 - 0 game.

He pitched a hell of a game tonight.

He was still on form and still hitting 96 on the gun in the 7th.
    If the Reds were still in the playoff race I would have no problem sending back out there but with the Reds 15 games below .500 I'd like to see Dusty take it easy with the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Good inning by Cueto and he still has stuff.

I know, I know, complete games (read multiple for the season) are remnants of the Jerasic Age but ask Warren Spahn, Robin Roberts or Bob Gibson about being yanked after 100 pitches. First thing is that the guy that comes out to remove them based upon pitch count might get clocked so hard that, in future games, he couldn't count. Ummm, by the way are all three of those guys still alive? :

Rem
    I think 100 pitches is too many. They shouldn't go over 70. :
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If the Reds were still in the playoff race I would have no problem sending back out there but with the Reds 15 games below .500 I'd like to see Dusty take it easy with the kids.
    RFS makes a good point that is often overlooked in our desire to coddle pitchers -- it's still a big game to Cueto.

Sold out crowd at Wrigley, playoff atmosphere. He wants to win the game, I'm sure.

There's a balance to be struck, but I like giving kids a chance to throw the big inning every now and then. It helps prepare him for some future date in some future season where keeping the team in a 1 run game might be of some import.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

One of the problems I have with the 100 pitch limit is it's just an arbitrary number. If you tell a kid he's done after 100 pitches, that's what they train for... that's what gets in their heads.

I'd rather see Cueto and Volquez learn how to go deep. There's a lot more to pitcher abuse than just that number.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    ...I like giving kids a chance to throw the big inning every now and then. It helps prepare him for some future date in some future season where keeping the team in a 1 run game might be of some import.
    Excellent point.

Rem

joey forgot how to throw during his time off

Turn Off Ads?