Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Pirates 9/3/08

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Reds vs Pirates 9/3/08

1st MLB hit for Castillo (in 2 ab's). Congrats kid.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wilkin Castillo does not look like a catcher.

However, if he can hit a little, I like his versatility off the bench--especially with the limited five-man bench. Does he have any speed? The Pirates seem to be paying attention to him.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    This is September, dude. That's how he learns to pitch in a pennant race. As my good friend Hank Aaron told me...
    Go ahead, laugh, but that was a great move by Baker. Volquez was dying to pitch that inning. He felt good. Baker says to Volquez, in effect, I care about your goals, I'll let you pitch the extra frame to help you meet your goal of possibly winning twenty.

That's the way you build a team. It's not all mechanics, pitch counts, and OPS numbers. It's building team spirit and loyalty that makes a young player want to play hard for you.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Why was Morgan trying to bunt when he was at 0-2?
    Because he lost track of the count.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Wilkin Castillo does not look like a catcher.

However, if he can hit a little, I like his versatility off the bench--especially with the limited five-man bench. Does he have any speed? The Pirates seem to be paying attention to him.
    He looks nothing like a catcher at all. He looks like a little CFer or 2nd baseman. He can run, it's one of his best tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Go ahead, laugh, but that was a great move by Baker. Volquez was dying to pitch that inning. He felt good. Baker says to Volquez, in effect, I care about your goals, I'll let you pitch the extra frame to help you meet your goal of possibly winning twenty.

That's the way you build a team. It's not all mechanics, pitch counts, and OPS numbers. It's building team spirit and loyalty that makes a young player want to play hard for you.
    Sorry, but letting your young ace throw 117 pitches in September when the team is awful is far from a great move. I'd like to have him healthy for the long term.

Craig Biggio did not look like a catcher either.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post

I'm not laughing. I agree with that mentality. I only question the fact that he'd been getting hit rather hard the past 2 innings. Of course, he did finish that 6th inning off with 3 straight K's, so that could've been the deciding factor for Dusty. But that late in a game, nothing really on the line, and his recent struggles....Edinson must've really sold Dusty that he was fine. VERY questionable decision though. IMO though, the pitch count wasn't that big of a deal.

Keppinger GIDP. I called that one. That's all he does these days.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He looks nothing like a catcher at all. He looks like a little CFer or 2nd baseman. He can run, it's one of his best tools.
    Sounds a little like Eli Marrero.

Is he a legitimate option as a second or third catcher? Unlike many others on here, I like carrying three catchers, but at least one of them has to be a viable option at other positions. If Castillo can stick as a utility INF/OF and switch-hitter with speed off the bench, he can be very useful.

Jeff Keppinger annoys me greatly.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

No 17 tonight...

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Sorry, but letting your young ace throw 117 pitches when the team is awful is far from a great move. I'd like to have him healthy for the long term.
    I'd like to see him healthy too but I stand on my comment.

Jeff Keppinger is exactly the type of player I don't want on the team next year. He does nothing well other then play a lot of positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Sounds a little like Eli Marrero.

Is he a legitimate option as a second or third catcher? Unlike many others on here, I like carrying three catchers, but at least one of them has to be a viable option at other positions. If Castillo can stick as a utility INF/OF and switch-hitter with speed off the bench, he can be very useful.
    There is no way he could be a ctacher everyday, but like you said if the Reds are going to do the carrying three catchers thing he'd be the guy I'd want as a 3rd stringer.

Turn Off Ads?