Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Brewers 9/8/08

Re: Reds vs Brewers 9/8/08

Reds with a comeback win..........Yesssssssssssssssssssssss

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    More of a critique on Phillips approach to the plate the last few weeks....it has become worse. Worse than even Edwin's is sometimes.

BA is below .180 for the month with an OBP of less than .250....to go along with the .212 avg from August.

He looks bored. Edwin has always looked bored and aloof....and now Phillips looks that way

Don't disagree. But Brandon does still look great in the field.

Reds win. Yay.

And this one belongs to the Reds!
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

The Reds are all too comfortable in this spoiler role....

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    No, it's not true but you're 21 years old and apparently you know everything. Pitchers often pitch 'up in the zone'. If you've been paying attention you've seen a lot of Reds hitters fall prey to that approach.

Volquez has been 'wild in the zone' but that includes being 'off the plate'. That's the way pitchers are. They don't drill the corners every pitch.

Rem
    Nice cheap shot. Volquez is always at the knees with his pitches. Tonight he was up in the zone more often than not and he had trouble throwing any of his three pitches for strikes = subpar command tonight.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 09-08-2008 at 11:19 PM.

What an exciting game this was. Jay Bruce showed tonight why is he viewed as a future superstar. He doubled, walked, singled, and was robbed of extra bases, and also made a great diving catch. Kid can play. And how about Joey Votto? He's having a great rookie season.

Yea.....September wins are always the best.

Seriously.....it shows good character...especially against contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    What an exciting game this was. Jay Bruce showed tonight why is he viewed as a future superstar. He doubled, walked, singled, and was robbed of extra bases, and also made a great diving catch. Kid can play. And how about Joey Votto? He's having a great rookie season.
    I want Joey Votto as a red for a long long time. I know it is a personal Bias but I believe Canadian kids who make it to Majors appreciate it a little more than your common everyday guys. No one will Ever question Joey work ethic , that I am positive on.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Code:
    Final        1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  R  H  E  
    Cincinnati   0  1  0  0  0  0  0  1  3  5  11 0 
    Milwaukee    1  2  0  0  1  0  0  0  0  4  6  0
    Scoring Summary
    Bot 1st: Milwaukee
    - P. Fielder grounded out to first, R. Durham scored, R. Braun to third

Top 2nd: Cincinnati
    - W. Castillo singled to right, J. Bruce scored, W. Castillo to second advancing on throw

Bot 2nd: Milwaukee
    - J. Kendall homered to deep left center, C. Counsell scored

Bot 5th: Milwaukee
    - J.J. Hardy homered to deep left

Top 8th: Cincinnati
    - J. Votto homered to deep left

Top 9th: Cincinnati
    - C. Patterson singled to third, J. Bruce scored, W. Castillo to third, C. Dickerson to second

- J. Keppinger doubled to deep left, W. Castillo and C. Dickerson scored, C. Patterson to third

Batting Cincinnati
    2B - J Bruce (15, D Bush); J Keppinger (21, S Torres).

HR - J Votto (19, 8th inning off D Bush 0 on, 2 Out).

RBI - W Castillo (1), J Votto (71), C Patterson (29), J Keppinger 2 (38).

2-out RBI - W Castillo, J Votto.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - E Encarnacion 2, E Volquez 3.

GIDP - P Bako.

Team LOB - 9.

Fielding
    PB - P Bako.

DP - 1 (B Phillips-J Votto).

Batting Milwuakee
    2B - R Durham (30, E Volquez).

HR - J Kendall (2, 2nd inning off E Volquez 1 on, 1 Out), J Hardy (23, 5th inning off E Volquez 0 on, 2 Out).

RBI - P Fielder (83), J Kendall 2 (44), J Hardy (69).

2-out RBI - J Hardy.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - J Kendall 1, C Hart 2.

GIDP - J Hardy.

Team LOB - 4.

Base Running
    SB - R Braun 2 (14, 2nd base off E Volquez/P Bako 2).

Fielding
    DP - 1 (D Bush-J Kendall-P Fielder).

Pitching
    Code:
    Cincinnati
    E. Volquez  5.2 5 4 4 3 10 2 3.23  
    M. Lincoln  0.1 0 0 0 0 0 0 4.87  
    N. Masset   1.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2.08  
    J. Burton   1.0 0 0 0 0 1 0 2.77  (W, 5-1)
    F. Cordero  1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3.41  (S, 28)

Milwaukee 
    D. Bush    8.0 7 2 2 2 3 1 4.23  
    S. Torres  1.0 4 3 3 2 1 0 2.74 (L, 6-5; BS, 7)
    IBB - P Bako (by D Bush), J Votto (by S Torres).

Pitches-strikes - E Volquez 119-70; M Lincoln 7-4; N Masset 19-11; J Burton 9-7; F Cordero 9-6; D Bush 99-67; S Torres 25-13.

Ground balls-fly balls - E Volquez 3-4; M Lincoln 0-1; N Masset 3-0; J Burton 2-0; F Cordero 0-3; D Bush 12-9; S Torres 1-1.

Batters faced - E Volquez 25; M Lincoln 1; N Masset 3; J Burton 3; F Cordero 3; D Bush 32; S Torres 9.

Time: 2:52.
    Attendance: 30,867

There's just one number there I do not like: 119.

unbelievably, not a single post from me tonight, but I was here. Just a few observations:

1. Playing Patterson in center with a healthy Chris Dickerson available is a crime of high magnitude. Not only do I not understand it, it's like the old "pictures" joke. Yes, he can field, but that does not make up for the black hole he creates in the batting order, even if he did get a lucky infield hit.

2. Same goes for Bako. If Volquez cannot pitch without having Bako catch him, just trade him now because if anyone has any sense, Bako will not be back next year.

3. The new kid from Arizona seems to be a good pickup--a good bench player, but heck this whole fricking club it seems is made up of bench players.

4. Brandon Phillips is going through the motions. I would seriously see what I could get for him.

5. Add Javier Valentin to the list that includes Bako and Patterson. Really, what is his purpose?

6. Votto and Bruce are the future. Cherish them.

7. It was pleasure to see another closer having a bad night and Cordero having a good one.

8. Keppinger gives up a couple of hits per night with his fielding. To the bench, young man. (Yeah I know he had the gw hit)

9. Volquez threw a lot tonight in a short amount of time. The obsession the Reds have with him getting wins is a little much. btw, someone said it was a lot of pitches for a game that didn't mean anything. I submit to you that to a lot of players on that bench it means something.

10. The Reds are 6-1 lately. If the current winning percentage continues, they would finish 79-83. Not that this going to happen, but wow.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

1. Does WJ deserve credit yet for the pickup of Masset? Did we see tonight next year's 7, 8, 9 inning guys? Masset to Burton to Cordero?
    2. When does Castillo become the everyday catcher? Why isn't he already?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    1. Does WJ deserve credit yet for the pickup of Masset? Did we see tonight next year's 7, 8, 9 inning guys? Masset to Burton to Cordero?
    2. When does Castillo become the everyday catcher? Why isn't he already?
    2. For the rest of this month I would have Hanigan at C and Castillo in LF with some starts at C. Give Richar and Janish some starts at SS. Rosales some spot starts around the IF. At this point, I want Castillo-Dickerson-Bruce in the OF and Encarnacion/Rosales-Richar/Janish-Phillips-Votto the rest of the year. You get Rosales and Richar starts when Castillo subs at C.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

"He wasn't sharp," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Volquez. "He was throwing balls to the backstop, high, low. That was just a gutsy performance by him. His control was a little off. He battled hard. We tried to again help him get that 17th [win]. It didn't happen, but we got the victory. That's what counts."

"I didn't feel too good. I felt sick," Volquez said. "The first two pitches of the game, I felt dizzy a little bit. I started to see everything dark. It wasn't an excuse. They took good swings tonight."

"Tonight, I was all over the place," Volquez said. "I was so happy we came back to win the game."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

BTW the Reds are now 7-6 against the Brewers this year and a combined 14-14 against the Brewers and Cubs, the two best teams in the NL Central. They are finished with the Cubs and have two remaining against the Brewers.

Turn Off Ads?