Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds vs Brewers 9/10/08 (early game today)

Reds vs Brewers 9/10/08 (early game today)

Cincinnati
    J. Hairston Jr. cf
    J. Keppinger ss
    J. Votto 1b
    E. Encarnacion 3b
    J. Bruce rf
    J. Cabrera lf
    A. Phillips 2b
    R. Hanigan c
    B. Arroyo p

Milwaukee
    R. Durham 2b
    J.J. Hardy ss
    R. Braun lf
    P. Fielder 1b
    G. Kapler rf
    M. Cameron cf
    C. Counsell 3b
    J. Kendall c
    C. Sabathia p
    Last edited by Red in Chicago; 09-10-2008 at 01:18 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds vs Brewers 9/10/08 (early game today)

Now that's a solid lineup.

Holy crap. Our cleanup hitter actually belongs batting cleanup.

From the Gameday preview

MILWAUKEE -- Reds manager Dusty Baker has seven extra players at his disposal and a tightrope to walk when determining how he'll use those September callups.
    Of Cincinnati's final 17 games, 16 are against teams that have a fighting chance at making the playoffs. That might prevent Baker from fielding a lineup of fresh faces with little big league experience.

"I'll use them in spots and try to get them a start if I can," Baker said. "But for the integrity of the races and the team, you have to go with your best lineup. Everyone we're playing still has a chance for something. I'll probably play them a lot more than I played when I came up. Some will pinch-hit. Some will pinch-run. We'll see what they can do in the clutch. It depends. I told them all to be ready to play."

Infielders Paul Janish, Danny Richar, Adam Rosales and pitchers Danny Herrera, Jon Adkins, Adam Pettyjohn and Josh Roenicke were officially called up Tuesday from Triple-A Louisville. Adkins faced two batters in the 10th inning on Tuesday and was the winner in a 5-4 victory in 11 innings over Milwaukee.

Janish played 31 games for the Reds during his earlier callup. Rosales and Herrera got brief big league exposure in their previous promotions. Richar, acquired in the Ken Griffey Jr. trade, played 57 games for the White Sox last season. Adkins and Pettyjohn are 31-year-old veterans. Only Roenicke has never been in the Majors before.

"This is an invaluable experience," Baker said of the younger September callups. "Hopefully in the near future, we'll be in the situation on the other side of the coin. You have to feel excitement but control adrenaline and have the coolness of mind to handle different situations and pressures. People say, 'I know I can do it,' but until you're in that situation, you just don't know."

Pitching matchup
    CIN: RHP Bronson Arroyo (14-10, 4.84 ERA)
    In his last start on Friday, Arroyo struck out the first three Cubs he faced on 10 pitches before getting a big lead and cruising thereafter for his 14th win of the season. The 31-year-old right-hander went 6 1/3 innings and gave up just one run on four hits, striking out six, in the Reds' big win over the Cubs. A high pitch count drove Arroyo out early, as he threw a season-high 122 pitches before being chased midway through the seventh inning. The right-hander has faced the Brewers twice this season, going 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA in 11 2/3 innings. Lifetime, Arroyo is 7-4 with a 3.62 ERA in 14 appearances (11 starts) against Milwaukee.

MIL: LHP CC Sabathia (15-8, 2.77 ERA)
    Sabathia did his part on Friday against the Padres, but the Brewers couldn't close the deal in time for his 10th National League win. Sabathia allowed a leadoff baserunner in five of his seven innings, but he limited the Padres to one run on five hits and went 2-for-3 at the plate, including a go-ahead single. The lead got away from reliever Eric Gagne, but the Brewers rallied to improve to 11-1 in Sabathia's starts.

Tidbits
    Baker said that Chris Dickerson's sore left ankle hadn't improved enough for him to start. Dickerson missed his third straight start on Tuesday and wasn't expected to be in Wednesday's lineup. "He's still sore, and I didn't want to take a chance on him rushing that," Baker said. "Plus with CC, he won't play [Wednesday] and then we have an off-day. So that gives him a good three or four days to get this thing better. We'll need him for Arizona and [Brandon] Webb on Friday. I'll need all the left-handed hitters I can get."

"I'll use them in spots and try to get them a start if I can," Baker said. "But for the integrity of the races and the team, you have to go with your best lineup. Everyone we're playing still has a chance for something. I'll probably play them a lot more than I played when I came up. Some will pinch-hit. Some will pinch-run. We'll see what they can do in the clutch. It depends. I told them all to be ready to play."
    Nothing like your manager saying, "Jeff Keppinger, Jolbert Cabrera, Andy Phillips, and Corey Patterson are better than you."

Please Walt, please, please, please bring in your own manager during the offseason. Please.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Don't tell Dusty, but he forgot to start Patterson

Hairston's fouling off a lot of pitches. At least he's making C.C. work.

Just struck out swinging.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Holy crap. Our cleanup hitter actually belongs batting cleanup.
    Took a BP injury to make it happen.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Reds go in order but forced Sabathia throw 18 pitches.

Durham walks on 3-2 but Hardy grounds into a doubleplay for the first two outs.

Braun pops out to Votto. Scoreless after one inning.

EdE K's and Bruce flies out to left. In addition to Sabathia's filthy stuff there are some nasty shadows the batters have to deal with.

Cabrera grounds out. Six up six down for CC.

Where's Castillo? He's only 6 for his last 7.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Fielder flies out and Kapler K's. Two outs.

Turn Off Ads?