Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: $5 a gallon

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: $5 a gallon

20% of US fuel production happens within the general vicinity of the Houston ship channel. Removing 20% of the capacity to produce any commodity for an uncertain period of time is bound to shake up the market for that commodity.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Gas went from 3.48 to 3.99 today where I live. It's BS, but you have to pay it or stay home. I can't afford to do either.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    20% of US fuel production happens within the general vicinity of the Houston ship channel. Removing 20% of the capacity to produce any commodity for an uncertain period of time is bound to shake up the market for that commodity.
    Exactly. Most of the refineries in the Houston area have been completely shut down. They haven't even left crews there...they have been completely evacuated. It's a bad situation.

I paid $3.29 on Thursday night. My wife paid $3.31 on Friday morning. By Friday night, most stations were posting $3.69.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by DUNN'KD View Post
    How are energy policy and gas prices not related? Political or not they are directly related.

"DRILL HERE, DRILL NOW!!!!"

If you're smart enough, you can find a way to talk about gas prices and not get political.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    That's not proof of gouging.

A gas station doesn't charge customers based upon what they paid for the gas in the underground tanks, they charge them based upon what it's going to cost them to REFILL those tanks.
    I would believe that if when the crude price goes down, the prices went down just as quickly. In a case like this the price spikes immediately but when the refineries are up and going and wholesale prices stabilize the gas stations will be slow to adjust their prices downward.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    "Anticipated" is correct. It's just that the "anticipated" cost is essentially the actual cost.

This is actually a good example of how the US could reduce and stabilize oil prices if drilling domestically would be approved. Drilling offshore would increase supply. Drilling in ANWR would provide a hurricane-proof resource. Having a reliable source of energy would ward off many of these short-term spikes in prices.

I'm all for drilling in ANWR but that wouldn't help in this situation unless you also build a refinery in Alaska. The main crisis here is in refining the oil into gasoline. If oil was the problem they could alleviate the crisis by releasing some of the strategic oil reserve but in this case i don't think that's the answer.

The bottomline here is this: If your gas station is still sellling sub $4 gasoline go fill up right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Friend in Michigan called me and said he's seen some stations in the Battle Creek area at over $6 a gallon.

That's to help offset the price for shipping out them Fruit Loops and Rice Krispies! :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If you're smart enough, you can find a way to talk about gas prices and not get political.
    Guess I'm a Idiot. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'm all for drilling in ANWR but that wouldn't help in this situation unless you also build a refinery in Alaska. The main crisis here is in refining the oil into gasoline. If oil was the problem they could alleviate the crisis by releasing some of the strategic oil reserve but in this case i don't think that's the answer.

The bottomline here is this: If your gas station is still sellling sub $4 gasoline go fill up right now!
    dude thats WAY too political. Tone it down.

Retired

It was $3.69 this morning, now it's $3.99.

Joy.

I understand what a burden this places on many people, however it's good to see that there is growing market pressure to encourage the development of other energy/fuel sources. In the long run, the American economy will be much stronger when it is free from a market controlled by countries whose political aims run contrary to our own.

It's a shame that as a society/country we couldn't motivate ourselves to break the dependence during the good times and that now a certain segment of our society is paying the price. It is nice to live in a large urban center which allows me to utilize public transit systems. Though it's pretty incredible how much utilization has gone up along side fuel prices -- to say nothing of the price of food and other products shipped in from afar.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Carlyle, IL

6.09 on the gallon

yikes.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    It was $3.69 this morning, now it's $3.99.

Joy.
    Where I live in Louisville it has dropped about 10 cents throughout the day. We're back below $4/gallon which is about 20 cents higher than it was earlier in the week but lower than yesterday. It looks like the $5/gallon alarmists might have gotten ahead of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Where I live in Louisville it has dropped about 10 cents throughout the day. We're back below $4/gallon which is about 20 cents higher than it was earlier in the week but lower than yesterday. It looks like the $5/gallon alarmists might have gotten ahead of themselves.
    Don't they always?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?