Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Playoff predictions

2008 Playoff predictions

There's probably a playoff prediction thread staring me in the face and I didn't notice it, but I don't see one in the queue, so I'm starting one here. Time to see if FCB's still got the magic eye.

NLDS

Dodgers vs. Cubs

Yeah, I know the story line. This is the Cubs' year. Yet I've been alive long enough to understand that no year is the Cubs' year. In fact, this matchup proves it. The Dodgers have the RHPs to subdue the Cubs offense and Manny Ramirez is flat out unstoppable right now. The Dodgers also have a manager who knows a thing or two about how to manage in October. Torre's 2-0 against Lou. If there was one team in the NL the Cubs didn't want to see, it was the Dodgers. And looky who they got. Enjoy 100 years in the weeds North Side.

Dodgers 3-0

Brewers vs. Phillies

Oh the homers that will be hit in this series. Expect to see pitchers cry. The Phillies have a massive bullpen advantage and the Brewers don't have Ben Sheets. Under normal circumstances, that and a good offense should be enough to advance to the next round. Yet the Brewers do have C.C. Sabathia and that might be two wins right there. I like that the Brewers have lived to read their obits. So I'm going against reason here. Milwaukee pull the upset.

Brewers 3-1

NLCS

Brewers vs. Dodgers

It's been nearly 50 years since Milwaukee and L.A. played for N.L. dominance. The Dodgers won back then and I'm thinking we're about to get visits from the ghosts of Charlie Neal and Larry Sherry. Sloppy fielding creates a mess the Brewers can't bang their way out of.

Dodgers 4-1

ALDS

White Sox vs. Rays

Chicago's still got a fair number of guys from their 2005 championship team. Meanwhile Tampa Bay has been running around in Cinderella slippers all year long. Yet without Carlos Quentin, the ChiSox have an offense that the Rays pitching can handle. This is a case of youth (with kids like Evan Longoria and B.J. Upton) bringing too much energy to the park for an opponent that's getting a little long in the tooth.

Rays 3-1

Red Sox vs. Angels

The Angels are a paper tiger. The offense doesn't get on base well or have much power. The starting pitching is all right, but nothing special. We've seen this movie before. The Sox pitching will let the Angels hitters get themselves out and the Sox offense is plenty potent enough to get to the Angels starting pitching. Mark Teixeira isn't enough to tip the scales and K-Rod will be waiting for save chances that never come.

Red Sox 3-0

ALCS

Red Sox vs. Rays

These two teams don't like each other, not even a little bit. It should make for great television. The Rays will be playing for respect. The Red Sox will be playing for immortality. The difference will be the Sox pen holds while the Rays pen doesn't.

Red Sox 4-2

World Series

Dodgers vs. Red Sox

The league offices will be pleased with this matchup. It pretty much sells itself. Two storied franchises from big markets. The return of Manny, Nomar and Lowe. Joe Torre's chance to cement himself as one of the great managers in history. The Red Sox on the cusp of dynasty. Josh Beckett looking to become perhaps the most feared postseason pitcher ever. All the storylines are in place for a classic.

And they'll get a classic. It goes the distance. Finally, the All-Star really did count.

Red Sox 4-3
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Playoff predictions?

NLDS:

Dodgers over Cubs
    Brewers over Phillies

NLCS:

Dodgers over Brewers

ALDS:

Rays over White Sox
    Angels over Red Sox

ALCS:

Rays over Angels

World Series

Rays over Dodgers in seven games.

NLDS

Dodgers vs. Cubs

The Cubs pitching falls apart and the Dodgers bullpen takes control of the series.

Dodgers 3-1

Brewers vs. Phillies

Just like the Twins when they made the playoffs with Santana, the Brewers will get good but not great performances from Sabathia but the Phillies will crush their bullpen.

Phillies 3-0

NLCS

Phillies vs. Dodgers

Now the Phillies run up against some good pitching and the Dodgers score by timely hitting rather than waiting for the walk and home run like the Phillies.

Dodgers 4-2

ALDS

White Sox vs. Rays

The White Sox are old and their best pitcher, John Danks, isn't ready to pitch in the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Rays have a devastating pitching staff and the ChiSox catch Matt Garza on one of his good days.

Rays 3-1

Red Sox vs. Angels

Josh Beckett forgets his magic tricks and because no one can explain why the Angels and Twins keep winning.

Angels 3-2

ALCS

Angels vs. Rays

K-Rod's arm falls off and he blows a save, and the Rays young arms rack up the strikeouts as they keep the Angels offense at bay.

Rays 4-2

World Series

Dodgers vs. Rays

The Dodgers bullpen and veteran starting pitchers are the key while sports writers get the story they are looking for as the Dodger's "experience" trumps the youthful Rays.

Dodgers 4-3

[I would never forget the]...

I'll bite.

Cubs over LA. LA has Manny, but I'm pretty skeptical of the Dodgers and the Cubs have lots of guys who seem like those unheralded types who have the great postseason runs to lead their team (a la Billy Hatcher in 1990). I'm guessing the Cubs overcome Manny's heroics with a hot series from some one like Mark Derosa or Mike Fontenot.

Phils over Brewers This should just be a HR derby style contest where only HRs count and the team with the most HR wins, but pitching will come into play. Hamels matches CC and the Phils win because of Brad Lidge.

Cubs over Phils Better pitching, period. Phils have Hamels, but the rest of the rotation match-up favors the Cubs IMO and the other than Lidge, the Cubs have a deeper pen. Guys like Marmol, Howry and Wuertz tip the scale. With all those power bats, the middle of the pen will come into play more than usual in a short series and the Cubs have the goods there.

Rays over White Sox Rays pitching handles the declining stars (Griffey, Konerko) and questionable bats (Wise, Uribe) in Chicago with ease. Thome has a big series, but its not enough.

Angels over Red Sox As flakey as Manny was, and as good as Youkilis and Ortiz have always been, Manny was the backbone of that offense IMO. With Beckett and Lowell in question, the Angels just look like a better all around team. Vald and Tex tee off and nearly tear down the Green Monster.

Rays over Angels Two deep rotations but the Rays have more dominance at the top (Shields, Kazmir, Garza). The Angels superior depth has been their advantage all year, but it may not come into play in a short series.

Cubs over Rays Get your affairs together and get right with your maker. This could signal the end of the world. Rich Harden is series MVP.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

NLDS:
    Cubs over Manny
    Cubs are just too good

Phils over CC
    No Sheets, Brewers makes an early exit

ALDS:
    Sox over Rays
    Sox ride momentum to get game 1, win 3 and 4 at home

Angels over Sox
    Angels are the best team in the majors

NLCS:
    Phils over Cubs
    Cubs going to World Series? I lol'd
    Angels over Sox
    payback for a few years ago

WS:
    Angels over Phils

NLDS:

Cubs over Dodgers
    Brewers over Phillies

NLCS:

Cubs over Brewers

ALDS:

Red Sox over Angels
    Rays over White Sox

ALCS:

Rays over Red Sox

WS:

Rays over Cubs

NLDS

Dodgers vs. Cubs

The Cubs offense is much too complete for the Dodgers to handle, meanwhile the Cubs pitching pitches around Manny to get to...pretty much no one.

Cubs 3-0

Brewers vs. Phillies

Defense, pitching & timely hitting....do either of these teams do enough? Phillies squeak by in a tight series.

Phillies 3-2

NLCS

Phillies vs. Cubs

Again I think the Cubs possess too much offense for the Phils but I think this is a slightly closer contest overall.

Cubs 4-2

ALDS

White Sox vs. Rays

My brain says Rays but my gut says not this year. White Sox win due to experience and momentum and because they will hit in this series.

White Sox 3-2

Red Sox vs. Angels

Red Sox have too much overall for the Angels, when you are not hitting you have to be patient and the Angels aren't patient enough.

Red Sox 3-1

ALCS

R Sox vs. W Sox

The White Sox just got taken too the limit bye the youthful Rays and father time catches up with them, along with Red Sox pitching.

Red Sox 4-1

World Series

Cubs vs. Red Sox

Wow, just a few short years ago who would have ever thought these 2 would be at this place at the same time. I still like the Cubs to take them too the limit but the Sox send them back to the proverbial drawing board to start their next 100 years.

Red Sox 4-3
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

NLDS
    Cubs 3-2
    Phils 3-1

ALDS
    Angels 3-2
    Rays 3-1

NLCS & ALCS
    Phils 4-2
    Angels 4-2

WS
    Phils 4-2

The Rays will win it all because, well, I want them too.

BTW since the Redsox ruined baseball by actually winning a World Series (ok, they didn't ruin it, they just made baseball less interesting), the Cubs really are the last Moses. If the Cubs win, then it might be a sign that there is no God (or he's boycotting baseball due to it's insane blackout restrictions).
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

NLDS
    Cubs over Dodgers
    Phils over Brewers
    ALDS
    Angels over Sox,the Red variety
    Rays over Sox,the White variety

NLCS
    Cubs over Phils
    ALCS
    Angels over Rays

World Series

Cubs over Angels

I have a feeling all season this is the Cubs year and they have shown me nothing to think otherwise. The goat will finally be sacrificed.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Im rooting for a Tampa Milwaukee world series. Nothing gives the middle finger to baseball and the large market cities like seeing two of the smallest markets playing for the world series.

Cubs over Dodgers
    Phillies over Brewers

Angels over Red Sox
    Rays over White Sox

Cubs over Phillies
    Rays over Angels

Rays over Cubs
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

PHI over MIL 3-1
    CHI over LA 3-1
    ANA over BOS 3-1
    TB over CHI 3-0

PHI over CHI 4-2
    ANA over TB 4-3

ANA over PHI 4-1

Phillies over Brewers 3-1
    Dodgers over Cubs 3-1

Angels over Red Sox 3-2
    Rays over White Sox 3-0

Phillies over Dodgers 4-2
    Angels over Rays 4-2

Angels over Phillies 4-1

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Im rooting for a Tampa Milwaukee world series. Nothing gives the middle finger to baseball and the large market cities like seeing two of the smallest markets playing for the world series.
    Me too...

Turn Off Ads?