Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Playoff predictions

Re: Playoff predictions?

My predictions:

Ratings that are "down from last year".

Proclamations that baseball needs to do something to attract fans.

Complaints about the length of the season forcing the World Series to be played in temperatures in the 40s.

An All-Chicago World Series, with the workmanlike Southsiders upsetting the pretty boys from Wrigleyville.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

NLDS:

Dodgers over Cubs
    Phillies over Brewers

NLCS:

Dodgers over Phillies

ALDS:

White Sox over Rays
    Angels over Red Sox

ALCS:

Angels over White Sox

World Series

Angels over Dodgers in six
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Cubs over Dodgers 3-1
    Brewers over Phils 3-2

Cubs over Brewers 4-2

Angels over Red Sox (Beckett's oblique strain will not allow him to pitch effectively) 4-3
    Rays over White Sox 3-2

Rays over Angels 4-3

Rays over Cubs 4-2

I also predict I will not be attending a World Series game for the first time in 3 years and that blows.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    My predictions:

Ratings that are "down from last year".

Proclamations that baseball needs to do something to attract fans.

Complaints about the length of the season forcing the World Series to be played in temperatures in the 40s.

An All-Chicago World Series, with the workmanlike Southsiders upsetting the pretty boys from Wrigleyville.

People will complain about Tim McCarver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    As they should.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Perhaps

Over/under on the number of times he says "perhaps"

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

NLDS:

Dodgers over Cubs
    Brewers over Phillies

NLCS:

Dodgers over Brewers

ALDS:

White Sox over Rays
    Red Sox over Angels

ALCS:

White Sox over Red Sox

World Series:

White Sox over Dodgers

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Im rooting for a Tampa Milwaukee world series. Nothing gives the middle finger to baseball and the large market cities like seeing two of the smallest markets playing for the world series.
    And if that happens, prepare to hear that exact argument against a salary cap for the next 10 years. I'm not passing judgment either way...just pointing out that you should be careful what you wish for.

Anyway, my guesses, and the last few years I've been pretty horrendous at this:

ALDS
    White Sox over Rays in 5
    I call this to be one of the best series in the whole playoffs. The Rays are a much better team and deserve to win, I'm just calling momentum and a gut feeling for the White Sox.
    Angels over Red Sox in 4
    I know everybody's going to think I'm biased here, and on paper I'd never pick the Angels to beat the Red Sox. But I've been favoring the Angels all year long so I'll just go with it.

NLDS
    Dodgers over Cubs in 4
    I'd love a sweep, myself.
    Brewers over Phillies in 4

ALCS
    Angels over White Sox in 4
    Snoozefest

NLCS
    Dodgers over Brewers in 6

WS
    Angels over Dodgers in 4

So there you have it, I have what I myself would consider two of the worst playoff teams competing for the World Series. But series by series, that's just how my predictions played out. I hope I'm wrong (except the Cubs, I hope I'm totally right on the Cubs).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Any World Series that has the Brewers vs the Angels or Rays would be the first WS to not have an original 16 franchise in it.

That's what I'm rooting for.. that and good baseball, but I predict I'll hate TBS and their rock n roll intro by 5 this afternoon.

NLDS

Dodgers vs. Cubs

The Cubs will find a way to lose, they always do, its pretty simple. Dempster is a solid pitcher and I kick myself everytime I hear the story about how he wanted to stay with the Reds because he felt he owed them something and they wouldn't sign them. He'll be the only bright spot in this series for the Cubs.

The first hundred down, let the second hundred begin now.

Dodgers 3-1

Brewers vs. Phillies

Lot of Brewer love flying around and with CC on the hill its no surprise. Problem is the Phils have Brad Lidge, Ryan Howard, Jimmy Rollins, and some dude named Utley who is maybe the best player in baseball.

Phils 3-1

NLCS

Phils vs. Dodgers

Manny is a comet flying across the Hollywood sky. He and Torre are enough to get it done.

Dodgers 4-2

ALDS

White Sox vs. Rays

Dewayne Wise is in the Sox lineup. I think that says enough for me. I will be rooting like a fan for Junior Griffey, but he won't get his ring this season either.

Rays 3-1

Red Sox vs. Angels

The Angels are an enigma perhaps, some say the best, some among the weakest. All I know is they've got John Lackey, K-Rod, and Texieria.

I also like Halos.

Angels 3-0

ALCS

Angels vs. Rays

You coulda had Boston and Chicago, major markets. Instead you get Anaheim and Tampa.

Rays 4-2

World Series

Dodgers vs. Rays

Cinderella had to be home before midnight, and this series will linger on well into the night. Still the experience the Dodgers have will rule the day.

Dodgers 4-3

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Joseph, we almost made the exact same picks all the way down to the series W/L split...

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

NLDS
    Dodgers vs. Cubs
    Brewers vs. Phillies

NLCS
    Brewers
    vs. Cubs

ALDS
    White Sox vs. Rays
    Red Sox vs. Angels

ALCS
    Red Sox vs. Rays

WORLD SERIES
    Brewers vs. Rays

Rays complete the dream season.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Im rooting for a Tampa Milwaukee world series. Nothing gives the middle finger to baseball and the large market cities like seeing two of the smallest markets playing for the world series.
    That's fine to root for Tampa.

But Milwaukee?

No no no no no no no no no and no.

That's Bud Selig's franchise. They are the absolute last franchise that anyone should ever be rooting for.

I'll be rooting for (1) Junior, (2) the Red Sox and Brewers to lose as soon as possible, and, um, that's about it.

NLDS
    Dodgers over Cubs

Ryan Dempster is a good pitcher. But he's not an ace, and he'll stumble under the pressure of Game 1. With that being said, Zambrano isn't exactly up to the task of handling big game pressure either. Cubs fall behind 0-2, and lose the series in four.

Phillies over Brewers

The Brewers are a mess. A questionable bullpen. A below average defense. Sheets is done for the year and their rotation is a mess. Sorry CC, but you can't do it on your own. Phillies in four.

ALDS
    Rays over White Sox

The White Sox are an older team, without home field advantage. Tampa's energy and the enthusiasm generated by that Tampa crowd will be enough to carry the Rays to the ALCS. Rays in five.

Red Sox over Angels

I want to pick the Angels. I really do. I'm tired of all things Boston. The Red Sox are without Manny, and they're banged up, but with that being said, I'm still picking Boston. M2, I liked your quote, calling the Angels a "paper tiger." That sums it up nicely. I don't think they're as dangerous on the field as they look on paper. The Red Sox pull it out in five.

NLCS

Dodgers over Phillies

Joe Torre's cool hand will lead the Dodgers to a World Series run that just a month or two ago looked impossible. Manny will put enough runs on the board to make the difference, and the Dodgers pitching will stymie the fantastic Philly offense. Dodgers in six.

ALCS

Red Sox over Rays

They're a nice story. But the clock will strike midnight for Cinderella. They don't have the experience, or the bullpen, to deal with Boston. The Red Sox have a deeper lineup, a three headed rotation monster in Beckett-Lester-Daisuke that nobody can match, and they are, after all, the defending champs. Red Sox in seven

World Series

Boston over LA

The Red Sox finally get their payback on Man-Ram. This team just flat out knows how to win in October, and three titles in five years will put them dangerously close to the run of the Yankees in the late 90's. In a year where there appears to be no clear cut, dominant champ, I'll give the edge to the defending champs, who will keep the crown in Boston

Turn Off Ads?