Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RH Bat or LH Bat

Re: RH Bat or LH Bat

what about Beltre and Moving Encarncion to left

2. Turn Off Ads?

How about Mark Texieria, while moving Votto to LF.

A pipe dream, I know.

Sign Jim Thome

i rather sign Manny than Thome

I think the best player to add, in a totally hypothetical world and on paper, might be Adam Dunn.

Which is odd for me, because I supported trading him. However, some things have changed since then. Before we traded Dunn, we had nothing in CF, nothing at CA, and no good options for a #5 starter.

Guys like Dickerson and Hanigan having a lot of success in the 2nd half of the season, plus playing well in their ML stints, changes the equation. Owings could pass as a 5th starter as well. All that frees up money, which was my big issue with Dunn.

This team needs a RH bat. Too many times in the past, we have had to bat Phillips and/or Encarnacion 4th. Do you want to protect Jay Bruce? Get him a RH bat behind him. Phillips and Encarnacion need to be as far from 3,4,5 as possible. I would'nt mind if we brought Dunn back, but that would put our best hitters (Bruce, Votto, Dunn) in a terrible spot. Guess who would hit in between them at eith 3, 4, or 5? Phillips and Encarnacion. Get a RH hitter in the lineup. You can't throw a stat like what our team did against RH and LH pitchers and exclude Dunn and Griffey. Dunn needed a RH power bat in front or behind him to compliment his abilities. Griffey did not compliment Dunn very well. I want a power bat in that LF spot, but I don't know who we can afford to get. I do know that we will have some choices, but I think that if we hit Dickerson first (LH), Votto or Bruce will have to fill that 3 spot, and I want a power hitting RH to fill that 4 spot. If it is Holliday, Ordonez, Burrell, or Bradley that is fine, but I want a RH power hitter.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

I don't really understand why everyone is so dead set on the idea that there HAS to be a right handed bat added. In my mind, there just needs to be quality hitting at as many positions as possible.

If hitter A OPS' .950 and hitter B OPS' .800, but hitter A is left handed where as hitter B is right handed, give me hitter A every day of the week.

Would I prefer a right handed hitter? Yes, but I would never acquire an inferior right handed hitter if a better option was available who bats left handed. If you fill your lineup with good hitters that don't give away atbats by hacking at everything they see, the whole LH/RH problem isn't that big of a deal.

That being said, their does not to be offense added to this team, I'm just not prejudiced as to which side of the plate it bats from.

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    This team needs a RH bat. Too many times in the past, we have had to bat Phillips and/or Encarnacion 4th. Do you want to protect Jay Bruce? Get him a RH bat behind him. Phillips and Encarnacion need to be as far from 3,4,5 as possible. I would'nt mind if we brought Dunn back, but that would put our best hitters (Bruce, Votto, Dunn) in a terrible spot. Guess who would hit in between them at eith 3, 4, or 5? Phillips and Encarnacion. Get a RH hitter in the lineup. You can't throw a stat like what our team did against RH and LH pitchers and exclude Dunn and Griffey. Dunn needed a RH power bat in front or behind him to compliment his abilities. Griffey did not compliment Dunn very well. I want a power bat in that LF spot, but I don't know who we can afford to get. I do know that we will have some choices, but I think that if we hit Dickerson first (LH), Votto or Bruce will have to fill that 3 spot, and I want a power hitting RH to fill that 4 spot. If it is Holliday, Ordonez, Burrell, or Bradley that is fine, but I want a RH power hitter.
    Why split them up? Why not just have different line-ups based who's pitching? I don't care if you have 3 LH hitters in a row if you're facing a RHP. Even if they have one AB late against a LHP, your percentages are still better than they would be if you split them up throughout the lineup every day. I want Phillips batting cleanup against a LHP. Even in the situation I mentioned earlier, his OPS averages out to .875 throughout the game.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 10-10-2008 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I don't really understand why everyone is so dead set on the idea that there HAS to be a right handed bat added. In my mind, there just needs to be quality hitting at as many positions as possible.

If hitter A OPS' .950 and hitter B OPS' .800, but hitter A is left handed where as hitter B is right handed, give me hitter A every day of the week.
    Well, yeah, but a .950 OPS hitter costs a lot more than an .800 hitter. You have to manage your resources.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Well, yeah, but a .950 OPS hitter costs a lot more than an .800 hitter. You have to manage your resources.
    Very true.

But, this team needs a .900+ OPS machine, in a bad way. The Reds already have guys that can OPS in the .800-ish range, what the team is lacking is a truly dominant middle-of-the-order threat. If the choice was between, say, Pat Burrell or Mark Texieria, both of whom will cost quite a bit of money, I'd take Tex every day of the week, although it's not exactly a LH/RH argument there since Tex is a switch hitter. But that's the main point I'm trying to make.

Rather than pay for another LH bat, I'd say sit tight and see how close Dorn is to being MLB ready. The Reds have kept him under the radar long enough...

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    Rather than pay for another LH bat, I'd say sit tight and see how close Dorn is to being MLB ready. The Reds have kept him under the radar long enough...
    I'm big on Dorn, which is why I want a one or two year rental, at or around $10 million. That leaves enough for a big-name pitcher. Holliday fits that bill, but will cost a lot as far as prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLakerFan24 View Post
    what about Beltre and Moving Encarncion to left
    Here's my thing...and I feel like I beat the platoon thing to death, but I could generate a higher OPS by signing Russell Branyon and platooning him with Keppinger, than I would get from Beltre. And I could do it for about 1/10th the cost. It's not the same defensively, but still and upgrade over Encarnacion.

Dorn? His numbers don't look that good.

What about Yonder? There's our RH power bat. Maybe not next year though.

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Dorn? His numbers don't look that good.

What about Yonder? There's our RH power bat. Maybe not next year though.
    I don't think Yonder is going to be anybody's RH power bat any time soon unless they teach him to bat right handed in the minors. He is a lefty swinger.

Turn Off Ads?