Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conspiracy to keep Bonds out of baseball

Conspiracy to keep Bonds out of baseball

Apparently the players' union has proof that teams conspired to keep Bonds out of baseball.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns
    Last edited by podgejeff_; 10-17-2008 at 12:58 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Conspiracy to keep Bonds out of baseball

I hope they did conspire, and I hope he never plays again. He's a horse's you know what, and a cheater. The fact that he broke Aarons record should always be added with an asterisk. And he deserved no more chances to pad his record after his contract was up.

Could care less, and I actually hope they did work together to keep him out to be honest.

Good. Keep him out. He's not a very nice guy.
    SECOND PLACE DOESN'T CONCERN ME

Well at least he was the best of the suspected Steroid users: Giambi, Palmero, Sosa, McGwire, Canseco, etc. Also there are a lot of guys in the minor leagues and majors who have been caught and are still playing yet they don't receive the same wrath from fans. Oh well...I guess somebody has to be the fall-guy.

I don't like Barry and I don't care if he plays again, but if there is collusion the owners involved should be hit hard. I don't care if Bonds used or didn't use, he wasn't the 1st and he won't be the last. I really couldn't care less about steroids in the game... but if owners start the process of collusion it could lead to another serious labor issue and possibly another strike.
    Last edited by Nasty_Boy; 10-17-2008 at 04:50 PM.

I dont see the problem is conspiring against Bonds. Hes bad for their product...they dont want him.

People keep saying why are they going after Bonds when Giambi, Sosa, and other are still in the league. Bonds has the Hr record....he has tainted the most popular record in all of sports. I mean if Pete Rose is banned why not Bonds?

I thought this before anything came out. it's kind of obvious, when you look at his numbers in his last season, they're not that bad at all, and you figure a guy like Corey Patterson got a job here, you can't tell me something isn't up with that.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I don't like Barry and I don't care if he plays again, but if there is collusion the owners involved should be hit hard. I don't care if Bonds used or didn't use, he wasn't the 1st and he won't be the last. I really couldn't care less about steroids in the game... but if owners start the process of collusion it could lead to another serious labor issue and possibly another strike.
    Good point. It could lead to other roads that none of us want to go down.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    I dont see the problem is conspiring against Bonds. Hes bad for their product...they dont want him.

People keep saying why are they going after Bonds when Giambi, Sosa, and other are still in the league. Bonds has the Hr record....he has tainted the most popular record in all of sports. I mean if Pete Rose is banned why not Bonds?
    You're bringing up Pete Rose in this? Really?

as much as i don't like bonds i was a little surprised that none of the teams that were fighting for playoff spots didn't offer him a contract. a low $ contract for an AL team in the hunt would have made alot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post

The dude's been indicted. Every sports team at every level would not mess with a guy in legal trouble.

This is just the players union reaching for a big paycheck again and continually ruining baseball. I'm so sick of this crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    You're bringing up Pete Rose in this? Really?
    I bring him up because how is what Pete did different from actually cheating while playing the game? If anything I thinks its worse. Anyways my point wasnt to focus on Pete but more that these steriods guys are lucky they werent banished as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    The dude's been indicted. Every sports team at every level would not mess with a guy in legal trouble.

This is just the players union reaching for a big paycheck again and continually ruining baseball. I'm so sick of this crap.
    Exactly... couple issues at play here.

One... he flat-out said he wasnt going to play for a lowball contract. He believed he was worth a certain figure and none of the teams who were half interested in him were interested in that figure. That's just economics. He thought he was worth more than any consumer (owner) was willing to pay. That's not collusion. That's Econ 101.

Two... there is a trial hanging over his head. What owner wants both the distraction of Bonds (and every question of every press conference somehow pointing back to him) AND the possibility of a jail sentence that could at any time cut into his playing time?

I belong to a union... and yet this is exactly why I can't stand them.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post

All very valid and good points. A team should look at that and decide if he's worth the risk in terms of negative PR and return on investment. But collusion is against the MLBPA/MLB agreement, and has nothing to do withan independent MLB teams decision to pursue/not pursue Barry Bonds. I am curious to see what an arbitrator will determine to be Bonds remedy if collusion is proved.

Turn Off Ads?