Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Diamond Mine Baseball

Diamond Mine Baseball

Anybody play? Would you recommend it? What's it like?

All additional info appreciated. Thanks...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Diamond Mine Baseball

Oops, it's "Diamond Mind."

WOY, would you care to elaborate? That thread didn't have a whole lot of specific information...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Oops, it's "Diamond Mind."

WOY, would you care to elaborate? That thread didn't have a whole lot of specific information...
    That was the jist of the Diamond Mind conversation, some folks here play Baseball Mogul, others Strat.. I play Strat.

Check out OOTP (Out of the Park) too!

I play diamond mind, in a 30 team league. I have played for the last 7 years. Its time consuming but a ton of fun. The projections are pretty good and its realism is pretty good. Their projection system will be paired with pecota for the first time in 2009 if I'm not mistaken. For me it beats fantasy stuff any day of the week. I manage a 50 player roster and do everthing a GM would.

I would recommend trying to find an online league to play in. I think you can find leagues at the diamond mind website.

I'd invite you to my league but its not likely to have an opening any time soon, as its established. If you qant to view my leagues website, to maybe get more info, contact me via PM and I will direct you too it.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by HotCorner View Post
    Check out OOTP (Out of the Park) too!
    I'd 2nd that, big time. I am an ootp junkie. Combines the best of all the rest.

I play in a Diamond Mind historical league that began with the 1927 season and is currently in 1948. It's a blast, and I learn a lot about semi-obscure players from the past. I'd recommend it highly if you can find a good league with an opening.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Boyds of Summer and I are both avid DMBers. I play in about 6 or 7 leagues, each with varying time commitments. Generally it's a fantastic and dedicated community of game players with every kind of league you could imagine available. I feel it's the best sim, but have not tried OOTP.
    I'll second what chicoruiz said too. It's a fantastic way to learn about baseball history, players you probably would never have heard of otherwise and how the game was played in different eras.

I play in two leagues that use BBPro '98. I've been in one league for about 20 seasons, the other for about 15. Definitely more fun than standard fantasy baseball. The key is having good leadership and an active community of owners.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I am DMB...DMB is me...

I was in 3 leagues, now I'm in two. Plus I replay about 2 seasons a year. I'm going to replay every year back into the 1800's (I'm going backwards, just like in real life). I would recommend trying both OOTP and DMB to see which suits you more. They are similar yet totally different experiences. Strat is a fine way to go also I just prefer DMB over it and they are the same type.

If you like the micro-management of being a GM and all that it entails OOTP will have PLENTY to keep you occupied. If you are a historical type baseball geek and aren't concerned with a lot of the management, DMB or Strat is prolly your bag and you can join a league that suits your level of involvement for GM'ing. I like them both for different reasons, but the time spent with DMB eats up any time I can spend with OTTP usually.

I srtarted with Strat and APBA cards back in the late 70's. It has consumed huge chunks of my time since then. It also has made me a much better fan of the game.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I am DMB...DMB is me...

I was in 3 leagues, now I'm in two. Plus I replay about 2 seasons a year. I'm going to replay every year back into the 1800's (I'm going backwards, just like in real life). I would recommend trying both OOTP and DMB to see which suits you more. They are similar yet totally different experiences. Strat is a fine way to go also I just prefer DMB over it and they are the same type.

If you like the micro-management of being a GM and all that it entails OOTP will have PLENTY to keep you occupied. If you are a historical type baseball geek and aren't concerned with a lot of the management, DMB or Strat is prolly your bag and you can join a league that suits your level of involvement for GM'ing. I like them both for different reasons, but the time spent with DMB eats up any time I can spend with OTTP usually.

I srtarted with Strat and APBA cards back in the late 70's. It has consumed huge chunks of my time since then. It also has made me a much better fan of the game.
    Yeah, I'm definitely more concerned with the GM experience than the historical perspective. OOTP is more for me?

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

If you can't get your GM freak on with OOTP I don't know where to tell you to get it. If you are into a video game experience none of these choices will suit you however.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I haven't played OOTP in years. But I remember when I did it was pretty sweet. You can be any team from any decade. Using your own custom parks used to be pretty cool too.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?