Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: #19 UC vs. #20 Pitt - Major Big East Championship Implications

Re: #19 UC vs. #20 Pitt - Major Big East Championship Implications

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    After the game, I turned to my buddy and asked, "With an atmosphere like that, who would ever want to go to Paul Brown Stadium?"
    A sign near me said, "Hey Bengals -- these Cats play in January."
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    After the game, I turned to my buddy and asked, "With an atmosphere like that, who would ever want to go to Paul Brown Stadium?"
    I was told there were 30 or so recruits on the sideline for the game as well. Some of these kids have serious talent and get offers and visits to big schools with bigger stadia, but I have to wonder if any of the other programs can genuinely match the enthusiasm and atmosphere of Nippert that night. What a way to sell UC football.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo View Post
    I was told there were 30 or so recruits on the sideline for the game as well. Some of these kids have serious talent and get offers and visits to big schools with bigger stadia, but I have to wonder if any of the other programs can genuinely match the enthusiasm and atmosphere of Nippert that night. What a way to sell UC football.
    Unfortunately, what's going to get used against UC for this recruiting class is: "Nice guy, Brian Kelly -- but if you want to play for him, you're making a mistake signing on in Clifton."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    My understanding is that the incentive for Kelly to go to Notre Dame or Tennessee or wherever is not the contract money, it's the TV money. the extras.

In other words, UC can't and shouldn't compete with what they offer him on a contract. Is this correct? So my argument is that UC should start pushing hard for some kind of television or endorsement deal. That's where the extra money for their coach would be, and it would presumably benefit numerous others besides just him.
    One could argue at this point in time, that the UC job would be better than the UT job.

As long as the Big East is in the BCS, it's a lot easier to get through Rutgers than South Carolina.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    One could argue at this point in time, that the UC job would be better than the UT job.
    That would be the worlds shortest argument IMO.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That would be the worlds shortest argument IMO.
    If the debate is: "What is the better job to have overall?" then yes, that'd be the world's shortest argument.

If the debate is: "Where am I more likely to play in a national title game?" then I think the argument becomes slightly more complex.

Suppose the Bearcats go to the Orange Bowl and win. They'll finish the year (likely) in the top-12 in the nation. Suppose also that Brian Kelly decides to stay -- they'll likely start next season somewhere in the Top 25 preseason polls. As long as you start in the Top 25, you have a legitimate chance to play for a national title if you run the table at a BCS school, even if it is the Big East or ACC.

If you accept all of the above as true, I don't see how you can say that it's an easier road in Tennessee through the SEC than it is at UC through the Big East.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    If you accept all of the above as true, I don't see how you can say that it's an easier road in Tennessee through the SEC than it is at UC through the Big East.

It wouldn't be any easier at UT but you'd have a better chance. That kind of sounds like the same thing but it's different. At UT you have to go through the conference gauntlet and if you survive that then you have the SEC championship game. It's easier to get through WVU and Rutgers and Louisvillle but unless those are top teams, you don't get a lot of credit for beating them. If you're in the Big East you have to be highly ranked to begin the season and you either have to run the table or lose 1 game - and that 1 loss better be early - to play in the BCS championship game. You can lose 2 games in the SEC and still make it to the BCS championship game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?