Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 2008-09 BCS Discussion/Projections

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Re: 2008-09 BCS Discussion/Projections

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    And that's exactly what I'm saying. It changes so much from year to year that you just can't say at the beginning of the year that this conference is good and that conference is bad. If you're going to have the BCS, you have to take the bad with the good.
    Gotcha. Well, then you and I agree.

Speaking of the Big Ten - SEC. Ironically, the Big 10 would have major bragging rights over the SEC over the past 5, 6,7,8, 9, years, etc. if Ohio State hadn't struggled so much with that conference.

Going back to 2002 (the year Ohio State won their national championship), the Big 10 is 4-2 in the Capital One Bowl (vs the SEC) winning the last four, and 3-3 in the Outback Bowl (vs. the SEC). Not bad, considering we hear time and time again how awful or mediocre the Big 10 is and how dominant the SEC is and, of course, all those games are played on SEC soil (Florida).

So, add OSU's losses vs. Florida and LSU and the Big Ten is 7-7 in bowls the last six years vs the SEC (8-7 if you include Michigan over Vandy last year), with a national championship and two runner-up's. Not too shabby.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    1. I think it would be pretty rare when a team would have home field advantage wrapped up and could just throw it on cruise control. One no team is going to take it easy in a rivalry game. Ohio State or USC aren't going to lay down for Michigan or UCLA just because they have the conference wrapped up. Also what if you had an undefeated conference champ that could still lose and make the playoffs. You lose that last game and you just cost yourself home field. No coach is going to risk that. You still need to win every game.
    Depending on what the format would be there could be a thousand different what if scenarios presented in a discussion like this. The net result always comes back to the fact you are indeed opening the door for something like that to happen and once you create a chance for something to happen, it will eventually.

IIRC Steve Superior sat some kids vs FSU a few years ago to get ready for the first SEC CG.

2. I disagree that match ups from unlikely eventual national champs will not have more of an audience. The only people watching now are fans of those teams. If that's a team that is going to be a potential team your team has to play on their road to with the national championship there is a better chance you are tuning in. Plus more fans of the game are going to be interested if the stakes are higher which the no doubt are in a playoff.
    Could be, who knows. I don't think you are ever going to find a way to get a big audience for some of the lower tier matchups.

3. I agree with your mid major comment
    It will be a CFB version of letting all the small conference champs into the NCAA tourney. They will make a little noise from time to time but they are never going to win anything. The good part would be it would finally shut up the people constantly whining about the Utah's and Boise State's never getting a shot at the NC.

Prediction:
    Tebow will win his second heisman this year, too many idiot voters have been duped by florida's gestapo tactics.

Compare numbers, he doesn't even deserve the trip to NY.

It's obvious that it should be between Bradford, McCoy and Harrell.

Sick of tebow. Ball on the 1, 3 qb sneaks in a row for tebow of course you're gonna score.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Prediction:
    Tebow will win his second heisman this year, too many idiot voters have been duped by florida's gestapo tactics.

Compare numbers, he doesn't even deserve the trip to NY.

It's obvious that it should be between Bradford, McCoy and Harrell.

Sick of tebow. Ball on the 1, 3 qb sneaks in a row for tebow of course you're gonna score.

Thoughts?
    Tebow is a great player. He certainly makes that team go and Florida would not be as good without him. That being said I believe that Colt McCoy had the best season and was most valuable to his teams success.
    If Tebow wins it will be because Bradford and McCoy split too many votes.

It will be a joke if Tebow wins again. It will prove it's nothing more than a popularity contest. This award has already down the path of irrelevance over the past decade, though, so I don't know that it matters.
    Last edited by MWM; 12-10-2008 at 09:34 PM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    It will be a joke if Tebow wins again. This award has already down the path of irrelevance over the past decade, though, so I don't know that it matters.
    Agreed. Tebow shouldn't have even been invited to New York, IMO. McCoy, Harrell, and Bradford all belong there.

I'd like to know tebow's heisman vote, probably similar to the following.

1. Tim Tebow
    2. Bo Derek
    3. Jimmy Clausen

Just to be clear, I think Tim Tebow is great ambassadro to college football. I think he's a class act. He's a great student, an intelligent guy, and he carries himself well. He's involved in several humanitarium efforts. I've grown to respect the guy quite a bit this year. It has nothing to do with Tim Tebow the guy. College football needs more guys like him. But I just don't think he's the most outstanding player in the college football this year. I know plenty of players who been dinged int he past in Heisman votes because they're a "system QB." I think Tebow is a helluva player, but he benefits as much as anyone from the system he plays in. Just my opinion. I'd give it to Bradford. It's also irritating that Crabtree has been completely forgotten, as has anyone else not on a top 5 team.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

That and Archie...

Nah, someone will come along at some point and will win two in a row and will be deserving. It might even be Bradford.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Just to be clear, I think Tim Tebow is great ambassadro to college football. I think he's a class act. He's a great student, an intelligent guy, and he carries himself well. He's involved in several humanitarium efforts. I've grown to respect the guy quite a bit this year. It has nothing to do with Tim Tebow the guy. College football needs more guys like him. But I just don't think he's the most outstanding player in the college football this year. I know plenty of players who been dinged int he past in Heisman votes because they're a "system QB." I think Tebow is a helluva player, but he benefits as much as anyone from the system he plays in. Just my opinion. I'd give it to Bradford. It's also irritating that Crabtree has been completely forgotten, as has anyone else not on a top 5 team.
    I think Crabtree getting hurt is what took him out of serious contention.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Agreed. Tebow shouldn't have even been invited to New York, IMO. McCoy, Harrell, and Bradford all belong there.
    That's who I thought would be picked too. All three of those guys were outstanding and more valuable to their teams this year (nothing against Tebow who is a good guy and a solid athlete). I saw Texas play a few times on TV and even just from those few games, I'll be rooting for McCoy to win the Heisman this year. He is one heck of an athete and a great QB.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

The Heisman is between Bradford and McCoy, Tebow doesn't deserve anything more than a few 3rd place votes. You have to compare the numbers and Tebow isn't even in that discussion. Looks like Tebow is going to get a lot of sympathy votes for crying at the podium, that ain't right.

Seems a bit like the MVP vs. the PotY discussion. I think Tebow has been the most valuable to his team (adding in intangibles + leadership + being called Bronko Nagurski), but Bradford and McCoy have had better QB seasons.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?