Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

Deal done

Posted by JohnFay at 12/9/2008 5:06 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

The Reds will announce the deal around 3:30 or so Vegas time.

The Reds will send Ryan Freel and two mid-level prospects for Baltimore catcher Ramon Hernandez. The Baltimore beat guys think the change of scenery will do Hernandez good.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Fay actually did a quick edit of his blog post. It originally said Turner & Waring as the prospects. Not sure why he changed it, but I'd say that's confirmation enough for me.

I like the deal. I was never impressed with Freel and I loathed his contract. Losing Waring stings for me. He was a favorite of mine. But all in all, good day for Reds fans IMO.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

96 OPS+ and has thrown out 30% on his career.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Sheldon update on reds.com

LAS VEGAS --- The Reds appear to be "very, very close" to acquiring catcher Orioles catcher Ramon Hernandez in a trade for utility player Ryan Freel, a source told MLB.com.
    The deal would include Minor League prospects Brandon Waring and Justin Turner going to Baltimore, according to a source close to the negotiations, while Cincinnati would reportedly receive $1 million in cash -- pending approval from the Commissioner.

Hernandez is slated to make $8 million in 2009, with a 2010 club option worth $8.5 million with a $1 million buyout.

Freel is scheduled to make $4 million next season.

In 133 games last season, Hernandez batted .257 with 15 home runs and 65 RBIs. Defensively, he stopped only 19.5 percent (24-for-123) of runners stealing.

Freel, who has been with the Reds since 2003, was once an everyday center fielder for the Reds, but missed much of the last two seasons with injuries. Last season in only 48 games, he batted .298 with no homers and 10 RBIs.

Because of a torn right hamstring tendon, Freel did not play a game after June 3 of last season.

Waring, a 22-year-old third baseman, spent all of last season with Class A Dayton, batting .270 with 20 home runs and 71 RBIs in 119 games.

Turner, a 24-year-old second baseman, batted .289 with eight homers and 42 RBIs in 78 games for Double-A Chattanooga, after batting .316 in 33 games for Class A Sarasota.

So its it official yet or what?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

OK, how excited should I be here?

Last year, Hernandez hit .257 with 15 HR and 65 RBI. He threw out less than 20% of runners attempting to steal. For $8 mill? He's a .263 lifetime hitter with a .326 OBP.

Solid trade. Turner is a decent prospect but I'd rather trade him than Heisey. Waring has huge power but that's about it.

Two thoughts on Hernandez:

1 - This is not a rebuilding move. Expect more veterans to be following Hernandez.

2 - This is a placeholder move that won't mean much if bigger changes don't occur.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Re: your #2 point, M2...I think that we are about to see an actual off-season where a series of moves is made that taken altogether actually make sense. I don't see this as a one-off thing...

It's a good deal folks.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Re: your #2 point, M2...I think that we are about to see an actual off-season where a series of moves is made that taken altogether actually make sense. I don't see this as a one-off thing...
    I hope that's correct. It would be a refreshing change.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Re: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Alright Walt, now find us a shortstop and an outfielder.

Attack Cat!

Re: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

NL average for a catcher last year was .255/.329/.387 - .716 OPS

Ramon last year was .257/.308/.406 - .714 OPS

Bako last year was (gulp) .217/.299/.328 - .627 OPS

Offensively, Ramon was essentially a league average catcher last year, and there is at least a little evidence that he was unlucky and could improve those numbers here.

Since we essentially gave up nothing but chaff to get him (assuming the prospects are as speculated), it's hard not like this.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Two thoughts on Hernandez:

1 - This is not a rebuilding move. Expect more veterans to be following Hernandez.

2 - This is a placeholder move that won't mean much if bigger changes don't occur.
    Yep, that's my thinking too on both fronts.

I'm fine with the move; Freel needed to get shipped out and I won't miss the prospects the Reds are sending out. If Hernandez/Hanigan is the catching unit, then I'm very pleased with what we've got behind the plate. Now eliminate the third catcher and replace it with a better bench bat and I'll be even more pleased with the catching situation.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    Yep, that's my thinking too on both fronts.

I'm fine with the move; Freel needed to get shipped out and I won't miss the prospects the Reds are sending out. If Hernandez/Hanigan is the catching unit, then I'm very pleased with what we've got behind the plate. The third catcher our managers have seemingly loved last year need to be swapped out for a better bench bat now. Hernandez and Hanigan can handle the catching duties without another caddy.
    But Javy can play 3B....

Turn Off Ads?