Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

On paper, this makes a lot of sense. This worries me though:

But the Orioles had become increasingly disenchanted with his lack of intensity behind the plate.
    Coupled with all the talk of him loafing on the basepaths and such, I cringe.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If nothing else, this buys the Reds one year to see if Hanigan can really start and contribute at the major league level and if Mesoraco has any kind of real future whatsoever. If the answer to both questions is no, then they can trade a key asset to acquire a young stud catcher. This way they secure the catching position for this year, and can hold on to their key assets for one more year, or perhaps more appropriately, use them to acquire more pressing needs (like a young stud SS and a power-hitting OF.)

In other words, now focus the efforts on trading for Yunel Escobar as opposed to trading for Taylor Teagarden.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Stay tuned. May be nothing, but I've heard from people on both sides. That's usually a good indication that something is happening.
    Boy, that John Fay is sharp as a tack. Got to get up early in the morning to get anything past him.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Coupled with all the talk of him loafing on the basepaths and such, I cringe.
    Perhaps. But apparently he and the manager, Tremblay, didn't get along. Sometimes things go south that way, and it isn't always entirely the player's fault. Keep in mind the guy played 133 games -- a very sturdy campaign for a catcher. He'll be playing for a new contract, so I'm optimistic the effort will be there.

Boy, that John Fay is sharp as a tack. Got to get up early in the morning to get anything past him.
    The banker just laid down his first post in over 18 hours. Guy is cranking.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

It's possible a change of scenery will adjust Ramon's attitude. He was quite good for the O's when he first got there and it was really in this last season that I started wanting to throw things through the TV at him.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

MLBTradeRumors.com thinks the Reds and O's get this deal done.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If nothing else, this buys the Reds one year to see if Hanigan can really start and contribute at the major league level and if Mesoraco has any kind of real future whatsoever. If the answer to both questions is no, then they can trade a key asset to acquire a young stud catcher. This way they secure the catching position for this year, and can hold on to their key assets for one more year, or perhaps more appropriately, use them to acquire more pressing needs (like a young stud SS and a power-hitting OF.)

In other words, now focus the efforts on trading for Yunel Escobar as opposed to trading for Taylor Teagarden.
    agree. added plus is that he speaks Spanish.

if we could trade say Freel plus Maloney for Hernandez (with the Os kicking in 1.5-2M) that would be a really good deal for the Reds.

Getting close on Freel-Hernandez deal
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/9/2008 2:38 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

I'm hearing that Ramon Hernandez-for-Ryan Freel deal is close -- very close. The Reds may send a prospect or two to the Orioles in the deal. Because more than $1 million is involved it have to approved by the commissioner office.

The Baltimore Sun reported on its website that the deal could be announced very soon.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Those better not be decent prospects.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Getting close on Freel-Hernandez deal
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/9/2008 2:38 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

I'm hearing that Ramon Hernandez-for-Ryan Freel deal is close -- very close. The Reds may send a prospect or two to the Orioles in the deal. Because more than $1 million is involved it have to approved by the commissioner office.

The Baltimore Sun reported on its website that the deal could be announced very soon.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

Those better not be decent prospects.
    If its 1 prospect, who is the best guy you would give up?
    What about if its two prospects?

Just a rumor here, but I heard that Heisey could be involved. We shall see.

This would be a good trade. For what it's worth, on Hardball Times' expected BABIP they published a while back, Hernandez's xBABIP in 08 was .292. His actual BABIP was .261. May be a nice bounceback candidate.

Also, based on the last two seasons, Hernandez qualifies as a Type A free agent. But he does have a team option on his contract for 2010. Does anyone know, if the Reds declined that option, could they then offer him arb and pick up the draft picks if he declines?

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I was asked at the Orioles board who the Reds might send as that second prospect. I answered as best I could but I would love more feedback from you guys who know our younger prospects a little better than me (I haven't seen them very much yet). I suggested Maloney, Thompson, Roenicke, Manuel, or Fisher (although I don't think Roenicke would be in this deal, I threw his name in anyway) or maybe one of the lower ranked OFs if that's a preference for the O's. I steared them clear of our SS guys because quite frankly, IMO our own SS situation isn't strong enough for us to do that. Anyway, I'd love to hear more thoughts from you guys about the identity of that extra prospect.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If its 1 prospect, who is the best guy you would give up?
    What about if its two prospects?

Maybe Freel + Sean Watson or Freel + Cumberland

I wouldn't give them Heisey.

But if Hernandez really is a Type A FA then that makes me feel better about the deal.

Maybe Freel + Sean Watson or Freel + Cumberland

I wouldn't give them Heisey.

But if Hernandez really is a Type A FA then that makes me feel better about the deal.
    Ramon Hernandez is better than Freel. The prospect(s) you'd get when Hernandez leaves would be better than Heisey. Why wouldn't you do that deal?

Ouch. The guy's one of my favorites in the system. I was kind of thinking Henry. Either way, the system is deep these days....

Turn Off Ads?