Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: desperately needed computer help

Re: desperately needed computer help

I have 2 laptops older than that, windows will degrade over time for sure... that's why I took them and slapped Ubuntu on them. They run dandy with that OS.
    Ubutnu, huh? Sweet.

It could be the video card too, but since it is an HP it probably does not have a separate video card and the graphics processor is built into the motherboard.

It might also be the hard drive, but probably not. Since you are not getting anything on the monitor even early in the boot sequence (before the hard drive is accessed) it almost has to be the motherboard.

So the bad news is you will need a new computer. The good news is the data on your hard drive is probably recoverable.
    Maybe, but not necessarily.

Does it beep and try to POST? Do you get ANY text at all. (memory test, etc.)?

If not, my money's on the power supply, especially with the noise. It could be another component (memory, processor, motherboard/BIOS), but the power supplys do tend to wear down and blow over time. I don't like the fact that it was actually ON and acting up; power supplys are usually the "it just shut off" or "it wont turn on" variety of death. They can do that though, if they start to go and the voltage gets irregular - causes all sorts of funky things.

HP + 8 yrs. old = ATX type mobo and power supply. I'm pretty sure a decent repair shop (check the yellow pages for a local joint) could fix it in about an hour or at least give you the lowdown quickly. If its the actual mainboard, fixing it would cost some significant coin - enough to take a look at upgrading to a new system. If you do go there, ask them to install your old HDrive in the new system as a slave.

Don't take it to "The Geek Squad". They will try to sell you a new eMachine and try to sell you on some "optimization" package. Be very afraid.

Hope this helps.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am having some problems with my computer. When I boot it up, I will eventually get a message that Windows will be closing and then my computer restarts. I can bring it up with Safe mode but can't keep it on otherwise. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I am having some problems with my computer. When I boot it up, I will eventually get a message that Windows will be closing and then my computer restarts. I can bring it up with Safe mode but can't keep it on otherwise. Any suggestions?
    How long does it take before windows shuts down? is it fairly immediate (something in your startup folder or autoexec.bat file could be causing it) or does it take awhile (more than 5 mins or so)?

Had the same thing happen with my 6 year old G4 Power Mac. It was the motherboard in that case.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerScottDavis View Post
    How long does it take before windows shuts down? is it fairly immediate (something in your startup folder or autoexec.bat file could be causing it) or does it take awhile (more than 5 mins or so)?

The background come up and the startup files do the same. and afer 3-4 minutes, I get the message then a couple of minutes later it restarts.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Interesting. Could be any number of things I suppose. I would recommend downloadingGlary Utilitiesand using it to check your startup programs and repair your registry. I would also go here and run a Windows Memory Diagnostic test on your computer. If neither of these fix or find a problem (and I assume you've already ran a virus check) then I would backup all important files and do a clean install of Windows.

Edit to add: You can also run msconfig and use it to control several aspects of how your computer starts up. This may help you diagnose the problem.
    Last edited by TylerScottDavis; 03-01-2009 at 09:53 PM.

I figured this out. I ran msconfig and took MSN Messenger out of my startup files and no problems after that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Interesting. Could be any number of things I suppose. I would recommend downloadingGlary Utilitiesand using it to check your startup programs and repair your registry. I would also go here and run a Windows Memory Diagnostic test on your computer. If neither of these fix or find a problem (and I assume you've already ran a virus check) then I would backup all important files and do a clean install of Windows.

Edit to add: You can also run msconfig and use it to control several aspects of how your computer starts up. This may help you diagnose the problem.
    That Glary Tool is AWESOME, it's the Leathermen for the windows user, thanks so much I slammed that on my fathers machines and cleaned up over 2500 errors.

This tool is a tad strong for the uninformed, but everyone should have it.

I should have posted this before instead of waiting till the last minute but I've been on vacation for the past week. I'm staying at my mom's house and going online is slow. I've seen dial-up connections faster than this. For example, I will click on a thread or hit post on here and sometimes I have to do it several times to get it to go to that thread or post. It just sits there and sits there and I have to wait. It's extremely frustrating. She's got 43 GB available on her hard drive (she's using XP). I defragged it last night as well as installed Spyware Cease. I've fixed the registry. I've deleted the trash, cleaned out cookies and temporary internet files, ran the error checking utility. She doesn't have a lot of startup applications. I've optimized Windows and installed Google Chrome and it acts the same as IE. I'm leaving Wednesday morning about 9 Central time so if anyone has any ideas on how I can get her computer to run faster for free, I'd appreciate it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Glary rocks. I also just discovered Smart Defrag. Increased my boot speed by almost half. Google tools includes Spyware Doctor. If you have a GMail account, you can get the free version. I have it set to scan everyday. Great at finding and eliminating minor threats.

Chip, how much memory does she have? If the system used to run fast, but now runs slow even after all you have done, it sounds like a memory issue. Could be a corrupt/broken stick.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

On the brink of disaster

This may be too late, but is she on a wireless network?

Great tip thanks. That glary utility is great.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Glary rocks. I also just discovered Smart Defrag. Increased my boot speed by almost half. Google tools includes Spyware Doctor. If you have a GMail account, you can get the free version. I have it set to scan everyday. Great at finding and eliminating minor threats.

Chip, how much memory does she have? If the system used to run fast, but now runs slow even after all you have done, it sounds like a memory issue. Could be a corrupt/broken stick.
    Like that defrag too. thanks!
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    She's got about 80 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan View Post
    This may be too late, but is she on a wireless network?
    No.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I am the brand new owner of a power supply box. Thank goodness the motherboard was fine.

Wife has recipes all on hard drive.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?