Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Just posted from Fay this morning and the details should be announced soon. I'm glad they worked something out.

Story: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds, Encarnacion Work Out Deal

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Just posted from Fay this morning and the details should be announced soon. I'm glad they worked something out.

Story: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com
    Per the blog, two year deal, financials not announced yet, pending a physical. I figured they'd work something out.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Good...now they get down to playing some baseball. Here is hoping Edwin earns it, and some.

Amen.

Didnt realize he and Willy T were good friends until I read the mlb.com article on Willy.

Maybe this contract and being around someone close will loosen Edwin up, let him relax, have fun and hit and field like he's capable. I expect a good to great year from him.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

I'm not a big fan of two-year deals for young players. Either buy out some of his free-agent years, or just go to arbitration with him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm not a big fan of two-year deals for young players.
    I'm not a big fan of two-year deals because the Reds FO has been so bad at figuring out the market lately. a player like EdE may be worth significantly less in 2010. Plus one of the young third sackers may displace him soon.

but since JimBo would have given him 2yr-$10mill per year, we're at least better than we used to be.

Per Hal McCoy's blog:

The Reds, led by Assistant GM Bob Miller, were in place in Phoenix for today’s schedule arbitration hearing with Encarnacion, but Encarnacion and the team came to terms on an agreement early today - a two-year contract believed to be worth $5 million.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    I'm not a big fan of two-year deals because the Reds FO has been so bad at figuring out the market lately. a player like EdE may be worth significantly less in 2010. Plus one of the young third sackers may displace him soon.
    I guess they don't think much of these "young third sackers'" short term prospects or they wouldn't have re-upped him for 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I guess they don't think much of these "young third sackers'" short term prospects or they wouldn't have re-upped him for 2 years.
    I don't think that's it. Provided his performance doesn't fall off a cliff, the contract will make EdE easier to trade than if he were scheduled for arbitration again next year. Of the 3B prospects, only Frazier might be ready by the beginning of 2010. Francisco and Soto are going to need more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

a lot of procrastination in the Reds' minors right now. can't even decide on positions.

one idea is that Walt doesn't think these guys will ever amount to much, and wants them to generate big numbers prior to trading them off. he did a lot of that in St Louis, and was usually correct.

Wow, 2 year deal at 5 million is fantastic. So often when teams makes these deals, they give away a contract that essentially has the player win 2 years of arbitration.

In this one, both sides "gave". If Edwin had gone Year-To-Year he would have gotten more. So by gaining the longer contract, he sacrifices some potential cash.

Excellent deal.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by I(heart)Freel View Post
    Amen.

Didnt realize he and Willy T were good friends until I read the mlb.com article on Willy.

Maybe this contract and being around someone close will loosen Edwin up, let him relax, have fun and hit and field like he's capable. I expect a good to great year from him.
    I hope he doesn't relax so much at the hot corner that he starts throwing the ball to his "friend" in CF. That would be... not good.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post

$5 mill, Hal? Really?

Color me skeptical. I'd be elated at that figure. But I'm dubious to say the least. My bet was closer to $7 mill.
    I have a love-hate relationship with Albert Pujols. Mostly hate.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I don't think that's it. Provided his performance doesn't fall off a cliff, the contract will make EdE easier to trade than if he were scheduled for arbitration again next year. Of the 3B prospects, only Frazier might be ready by the beginning of 2010. Francisco and Soto are going to need more time.
    Yep.

I'm glad they were able to work out a deal. I think this is going to be a big year for Edwin.

Encarnacion, Reds agree to 2-year deal (update)
    Posted by JohnFay at 2/17/2009 8:49 AM EST on Cincinnati.com

Walt Jocketty said the Reds worked out a 2-year deal with Edwin Encarnacion at 2:30 or this morning. The deal is pending a physical. The sides avoid arbitration The Reds had offered $2.55 million; Encarnacion requested $3.7 million.

Jocketty would not reveal the money. It will come out as soon as it's official.

All position players reported, as expected. Non-roster catcher Humberto Coto is still not here.

Update: Encarnacion is not here as well. He went to Phoenix, where the hearing was scheduled to take place today. He'll be back tomorrow.

"It's good," Dusty Baker said. "The aftermath of hearing is never nice. It's good for Edwin. It's good for us."

I know Encarnacion is much-maligned on the blog. But remember two things: He's only eight month older than Joey Votto, and Encarnacion's on-base (.340) and slugging (.446) were higher than Brandon Phillips. That said, he's got to cut down on his errors -- 23 is way too many.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

When's the last time the Reds went to arbitration with someone? It's been a while.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?