Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 3/2/09 Reds vs Pirates

Re: 3/2/09 Reds vs Pirates

2-1 Pirates after eight.

The Pirates scored an unearned run thanks to errors by Tatum (catchers interference) and Jacque Jones.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Reds lost 2-1.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Bummer about the loss but I do like the pitching line today. That's encouraging!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Fultz gives up a run on a hit and two walks in the 6th inning. 1-1 after six.
    Fultz Metal Jacket NOOOOO!
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Anybody know what velocity Homer is working at? If he's spotting that fastball at 94 or so, that's his ticket. But if he's just getting ahead with a straight 91, that's a hitter's adjustment (or late ST bat speed) away from major regression.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Anybody know what velocity Homer is working at? If he's spotting that fastball at 94 or so, that's his ticket. But if he's just getting ahead with a straight 91, that's a hitter's adjustment (or late ST bat speed) away from major regression.
    Nobody has reported an exact number, but Hal said last week that his velocity looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    but Hal said last week that his velocity looked great.

Well, considering Hal can't see, I'll wait for a gun reading.

If he's spotting that fastball at 94 or so, that's his ticket. But if he's just getting ahead with a straight 91, that's a hitter's adjustment (or late ST bat speed) away from major regression.
    Truism says pitchers are ahead of hitters at this time. Still, the prospect of Bailey at 91 with control is more promising than 94 without. In other words, he may be intentionally sacrificing some velocity in favor of command. It wouldn't mean he could not reach back for 94 in certain situations.

Whatever the case, it is very encouraging to read all the positive reporting about Homer. Doesn't mean he's going to win 15 games this year, but it does indicate he has turned around what was significantly negative momentum. Best news of ST, so far.

Turn Off Ads?