Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 3/11/09 Reds vs Astros

Re: 3/11/09 Reds vs Astros

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I continue to resist the Urban Legend that Dusty is completely in love with vets. That wasn't so much true last year as he's stuck with our youngsters as the season progressed. I think the club (and that includes Dusty's input) will take the best players north and if Nix shows he's among that group, he'll come north. It's certainly possible that guys having options could preclude someone like Nix going to AAA, if things are close.

BTW, anyone have any idea how the game progressed?
    Reds win 8 to 2.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I don't think Barker is under any consideration at all. I think he's going to AAA no matter what
    Agreed. Barker and McDonald are both heading to AAA no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I continue to resist the Urban Legend that Dusty is completely in love with vets. That wasn't so much true last year as he's stuck with our youngsters as the season progressed. I think the club (and that includes Dusty's input) will take the best players north and if Nix shows he's among that group, he'll come north. It's certainly possible that guys having options could preclude someone like Nix going to AAA, if things are close.
    I agree. I think the truer statement is that Dusty doesn't favor the young guy. In other words, if it's even or close, he doesn't default to the young guy with what the fans perceive as upside. I think he makes the decision without tremendous consideration of age or upside. And I'm OK with that for the most part.

I think Dusty favors guys with some Dusty history. Ward's dad was a contemporary of Dusty in the major leagues. They weren't teammates, but I think that gives Ward an edge.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Nix plays all three OF spots. Rosales does not.

They are working toward different spots on the roster.
    I realize that, I was just saying that Rosales deserves a shot regardless...as in over Richar or one of the other IF utility guys. If Kepp continues to stink up the joint...I wouldn't have a problem with cutting him loose. And I'm a big fan of Kepp's. For me, it's all about production though.

As for the OF vacancies, I'm sure that just about all of those guys can play all 3 OF spots. It's just a matter of how well. Nix, Gomes, Jones, McDonald and Ward are all vying for the platoon with Dickerson. But IMO you've got to throw Hairston in there too. That pushes them back to FIFTH outfielders...I'm not carrying more than ONE of those guys. And so far, McDonald & Gomes have an edge over the other 3 IMO in regards to their performance. If you go on their past history as well as this spring, that knocks McDonald down several pegs. Bascially, as things stand now, I think it looks kinda like this....

C: Hernandez
    1b: Votto
    2b: Phillips
    SS: Gonzo
    3B: Edwin
    RF: Bruce
    CF: Taveras
    LF: Platoon of Dickerson/Hairston
    Utility IF: Rosales ~ I take him over Ward due to versatility and youth
    Utility IF: Keppinger
    Utility OF: Gomes ~ If Nix proves more valuable, I'll change this one, but for now Gomes has earned it.
    BU C: Hanigan

SP: Harang
    SP: Arroyo
    SP: Volquez
    SP: Cueto
    SP: Bailey ~ I take him over Owings due to upside, youth and performance so far

Closer: Cordero
    Setup: Burton
    Setup: Bray
    Setup: Weathers
    Pen: Lincoln
    Pen: Owings ~ I take him over Masset due to bat & better spot starter
    Pen: Rhodes

That's 25. That leaves out Alonso, Hopper, Richar, Castillo, Tatum, Francisco, Janish, Fisher, LeCure, Herrera, Roenicke, Maloney, Manuel, Masset, Ramirez & Thompson from the guys currently on the 40-man roster. It also cuts loose all the non-roster invitees except for Gomes.

I hate to cut loose Masset, Herrera & Roenicke, but with all those BP signings (weathers, lincoln & rhodes) there's just not much room left.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 03-11-2009 at 05:37 PM.

Gomes is NOT a CF candidate. Jones is not either.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I realize that, I was just saying that Rosales deserves a shot regardless...as in over Richar or one of the other IF utility guys. If Kepp continues to stink up the joint...I wouldn't have a problem with cutting him loose. And I'm a big fan of Kepp's. For me, it's all about production though.

As for the OF vacancies, I'm sure that just about all of those guys can play all 3 OF spots. It's just a matter of how well. Nix, Gomes, Jones, McDonald and Ward are all vying for the platoon with Dickerson. But IMO you've got to throw Hairston in there too. That pushes them back to FIFTH outfielders...I'm not carrying more than ONE of those guys. And so far, McDonald & Gomes have an edge over the other 3 IMO.
    Assuming Gonzales is the SS, when it comes to Utility IF my personal order would be Rosales, Richar, Janish and then Keppinger. Rosales may be the best all around player for offense, defense, baserunning and multi-position skill. Richar is a lefty bat, has some upside and the most speed, Janish is the best defensive infielder and Keppinger is basically just a guy who kills Lefty pitching but doesn't really have a position that he can play well (though I think he'd be a very good 1B defensively).

If Gonzalez is still short on range, I'd go with Janish to come in for defense (or just play every day). If there ends-up being no LH bat on the bench, I'd probably go with Richar. Otherwise I'd go with Rosales. The only way I'd go with Kepp would be if there was a clear role where he could platoon against LH pitching. The Reds have plenty of RH bats for the bench, and without any defensive value, I'd be looking to move Kepp for a prospect. Hairston is still on board and Valaika, Frazier and even Bolivar provide some depth if the injury disaster happens.

That said, I think Kepp's a lock for the 25 man roster.

Why do they have to be CF candidates? They only have to be OF filler. We've got Taveras, Hairston, Dickerson & Bruce who are all capable of playing center. OF position really doesn't matter in the current situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Assuming Gonzales is the SS, when it comes to Utility IF my personal order would be Rosales, Richar, Janish and then Keppinger. Rosales may be the best all around player for offense, defense, baserunning and multi-position skill. Richar is a lefty bat, has some upside and the most speed, Janish is the best defensive infielder and Keppinger is basically just a guy who kills Lefty pitching but doesn't really have a position that he can play well (though I think he'd be a very good 1B defensively).

If Gonzalez is still short on range, I'd go with Janish to come in for defense (or just play every day). If there ends-up being no LH bat on the bench, I'd probably go with Richar. Otherwise I'd go with Rosales. The only way I'd go with Kepp would be if there was a clear role where he could platoon against LH pitching. The Reds have plenty of RH bats for the bench, and without any defensive value, I'd be looking to move Kepp for a prospect. Hairston is still on board and Valaika, Frazier and even Bolivar provide some depth if the injury disaster happens.

That said, I think Kepp's a lock for the 25 man roster.
    I agree with all of that. While I love Kepp, he's running out of usefulness on this team with all of the other utility guys coming of age. At this point, I'd be shopping him too.

Mmmm... Spring Training stats!

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Why do they have to be CF candidates? They only have to be OF filler. We've got Taveras, Hairston, Dickerson & Bruce who are all capable of playing center. OF position really doesn't matter in the current situation.
    Bruce should never see CF unless an emergency. He needs to learn RF. Hairston shoulod never see CF unless it's an emergency, as well. I want a few options out there who are better than that. Nix would be one such option.

I like versatility from the 24th and 25th guys on the roster, and Nix brings FAR more of that than the others.

Bruce RF
    Taveras CF
    Dickerson/Gomes LF
    Nix---back-up

Sir Charles wrote:

C: Hernandez
    1b: Votto
    2b: Phillips
    SS: Gonzo
    3B: Edwin
    RF: Bruce
    CF: Taveras
    LF: Platoon of Dickerson/Hairston
    Utility IF: Rosales ~ I take him over Ward due to versatility and youth
    Utility IF: Keppinger
    Utility OF: Gomes ~ If Nix proves more valuable, I'll change this one, but for now Gomes has earned it.
    BU C: Hanigan
    If you want Rosales, it is at Kepp's expense.

C Hernandez
    1b Votto
    2b Phillips
    SS Gonzalez/Hairston
    3b Encarnacion
    RF Bruce
    CF Taveras
    LF Dickerson/Gomes
    Utility IF---Kepp OR Rosales
    Back-up C---Hanigan
    5th OF---Nix

If they only keep 11 pitchers you could go one more position player.
    Last edited by membengal; 03-11-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Funny, I was just thinking that this game is a good example of how over-rated getting that extra base is.

1st Inning - Dickerson Steals third and Phillips doubles. Dickerson would have scored without taking that risk.

1st Inning - Phillips takes a risky extra base on a FO by Ward. Francisco singles and Phillips would have scored anyway.

2nd Inning - McDonald steals 2nd and Bruce GO to end the inning.

Three pleasing and exciting baserunnig plays, but none had any more to do with the outcome than me walking accross the street to get my mail.

Nothing wrong with good players who can add the dimension of stealing or taking the extra base to their games, but bypassing more basic things like Getting on Base and Power for the sake of having a guy who can steal bases is simply a poor choice. No amount of stolen bases can make up for the basics of getting on base and hitting for power.
    Very well said.

Thanks for the PBP.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Mmmm... Spring Training stats!
    Hey...they got CPatterson almost 400 ab's for the Reds last year....
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?