Turn Off Ads?
Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 7475354555657

Thread: Opening Day 2009: Reds vs. Mets

Re: Opening Day 2009: Reds vs. Mets

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    LOL. I know. I was thinking the same thing. Nice to see (or hear in my case) though. Same with Lincoln & Rhodes. Other than DRH's nerves, this has been a very well pitched game...on both sides.
    Weathers walked off the field grinning. Probably thinking, "I showed those (insert appropriate word) on RZ I can still pitch."
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I swear there was one AB where I said, "Is this a bizarro umpire"? It appeared every pitch was called opposite of what it seemed to have been. I would say your six pitches is accurate, although the crowd groaned and awful lot. I think he absolutely robbed Harrera on one too. And Votto's strike three pitch was up and in and was called a ball numerous times throughout the game. My son and I assumed it must have been Angel Hernandez behind the plate, it was that awful. Not to solely be a homer, he was rotten for both teams. And that affects the batters too because you have no idea what is going to be called.
    Yep.

I swear there was one AB where I said, "Is this a bizarro umpire"? It appeared every pitch was called opposite of what it seemed to have been. I would say your six pitches is accurate, although the crowd groaned and awful lot. I think he absolutely robbed Harrera on one too. And Votto's strike three pitch was up and in and was called a ball numerous times throughout the game. My son and I assumed it must have been Angel Hernandez behind the plate, it was that awful. Not to solely be a homer, he was rotten for both teams. And that affects the batters too because you have no idea what is going to be called.
    I dont know if anyone noticed or if it was announced and I missed it but there were two different first base umps yesterday. The first couple innings a black guy was at first but then around the sixth inning a white guy was there. The box score had Angel Hernandez at first base but that he was not at first base the first six innings or so. Maybe I was the only one who noticed this but it was definitely the case.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-07-2009 at 10:22 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

To be fair guys, he squeezed Johan pretty heavily too. I think, all in all, he called the game VERY consistantly. Tight, but consistant.

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I dont know if anyone noticed or if it was announced and I missed it but there were two different first base umps yesterday. The first couple innings a black guy was at first but then around the sixth inning a white guy was there. The box score had Angel Hernandez at first base but that he was not at first base the first six innings or so. Maybe I was the only one who noticed this but it was definitely the case.

At one point Hernandez had a black facemask type thing on so maybe he appeared to have darker skin. I don't remember seeing him later in the game so I'm guessing he just took it off
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

To be fair guys, he squeezed Johan pretty heavily too. I think, all in all, he called the game VERY consistantly. Tight, but consistant.
    I hafta disagree, I counted maybe two pitches he might have squeezed against the Mets.

Again, I am quick to defend umps but Welke had a very bad game.

Also I spend alot of time evaluating umpires at a lower level of course but Welke's body language on numerous occasions told me he knew he was struggling.
    Last edited by George Anderson; 04-07-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

High five!

I don't think so. I think Santana was just more precise.

I'm not sure if I stated otherwise, but I agree that it was a wild strike zone for both pitchers. I felt Harrang got the brunt of it, but there were inconsistencies on both pitchers.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't think so. I think Santana was just more precise.

Santana's 4 walks in just 5 innings pitched say otherwise.

High five!

Santana's 4 walks in just 5 innings pitched say otherwise.
    Not really. I'm pretty sure a higher percentage of Sanata's pitches went where he wanted them to than Harang's.

Turn Off Ads?