Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any idea about Gomes?

Any idea about Gomes?

Has anyone herd if Gomes has decided to report to AAA?If no decision has been made when does he need to decide?

I've mentioned before in other post that this guy could really benefit from playing every day and getting a lot of ABs.If he gets hot like Hariston Jr. and Bruce did last year I think it would carry over in the Bigs for him the same as it did for those two.He's been able to do it in the past and is still young.I can't believe he isn't on the team in the first place.

If he chooses not to report I guess none of this matters much.I can't imagine he would want to be a FA considering the current market.I imagine the best chance of the Reds loosing Gomes is another team offering him a roster spot.I hope that doesn't happen and he reports.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 04-08-2009 at 12:46 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Gary Redus Ruled

Re: Any idea about Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Has anyone herd if Gomes has decided to report to AAA?If no decision has been made when does he need to decide?

I've mentioned before in other post that this guy could really benefit from playing every day and getting a lot of ABs.If he gets hot like Hariston Jr. and Bruce did last year I think it would carry over in the Bigs for him the same as it did for those two.He's been able to do it in the past and is still young.I can't believe he isn't on the team in the first place.

If he chooses not to report I guess none of this matters much.I can't imagine he would want to be a FA considering the current market.I imagine the best chance of the Reds loosing Gomes is another team offering him a roster spot.I hope that doesn't happen and he reports.
    He hasnt decided yet if he'll report.Walt is supposed to talk to his agent today to see if he'll report.Per rotoworld.
    Hoping for another Reds October

I don't know what he's thinking. Gomes isn't going to make anyone's big league roster now. He definitely needs more work.

Quote Originally Posted by leakbrewergator View Post
    I don't know what he's thinking. Gomes isn't going to make anyone's big league roster now. He definitely needs more work.
    I think he was shellshocked about not making the team, as were most of us, and now he has no idea what he wants. I feel bad for him.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com
    Last edited by Jerome; 04-08-2009 at 03:52 PM.

I really hope he decides to go to AAA, to be totally honest though the main thing i want right now is to get rid of mcdonald...i am glad he isn't playing today

Just read on Fay's blog that he expects him to accept the assignment considering how other FA OFs are still looking for work.

My guess is that Gomes's decision is what is holding up publishing the Louisville roster. Add Castillo, Dorn, and Valaika to what is currently posted on the Bats site and you are still one player short. I presumed that place was being held for Gomes.

Old Red Guard Reject

mlbtraderumors reports that Gomes has officially accepted the AAA assignment. Good news.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Just saw on mlb trade rumors that Gomes accepted assignment while Jacque Jones was released.I didn't know Jones was still around but I'm glad he's gone now.

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfever09 View Post
    Just saw on mlb trade rumors that Gomes accepted assignment while Jacque Jones was released.I didn't know Jones was still around but I'm glad he's gone now.
    Sounds good to me.
    "I don't want to embarrass any other catcher by comparing him to Johnny Bench."
    Sparky Anderson

Jones hasn't been around for a couple weeks now. As for an idea about Gomes, I have one; put him on our bench, cut Laynce Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Jones hasn't been around for a couple weeks now. As for an idea about Gomes, I have one; put him on our bench, cut Laynce Nix.
    We have to see if Hairston is hurt or not. If he is, Gomes may be up, before you know it.

I liked how, after his AB, they took McDonald out and had the other guys in there. Maybe they see that he's not good enough? One can only hope.
    I'm not cool enough to have a good signature

We could have used Gomes last night. At least he has a chance to get the ball out of the infield - unlike Old McDonny and Janish.

The way our defense is playing, I think I'd rather slide Dickerson over to Center and bring in Gomes to play left in a situation like last night when Hairston (shocker!) got injured.

We need to get RUNS late in games, not defensive replacements; it's going to be our achilles all season IMO.

Our bench offense is totally pathetic.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Since when is Johnny Gomes the second coming of Hank Aaron? Sure, he is probably better than most of our bench, but some of you are acting like if he was on the roster all would be solved.

Let's be realistic....it's Johnny Gomes. I don't think he is the type of player that would transform any team to a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    We need to get RUNS late in games, not defensive replacements; it's going to be our achilles all season IMO.

7 runs in a ball game is good enough to win any game. Gomes was the least of our problems last night.

Turn Off Ads?