Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This group feels pretty bland to me

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

This group feels pretty bland to me

I realize it's early, and I'm willing to be patient. Just observation(s) through the first 4 games..... and some of spring training

-You hear about this young pitching again and again and again. The fact of the matter is we're approaching about a year mark since Edison Volquez has looked dominant/decent and Johnny Cueto just gets hit. There is no other way around it. The guy has all the stuff in the world and he can strike you out but big league hitters hit him. I wanna add that we already know what we have at best in Arroyo and Harang. We've seen it. Owings is the one guy who could probably really have his stock rise..... or Bailey but he's in the minors in favor of Arroyo. I am beginning to think Johnny Cueto is what we saw today on most nights..... he just isn't consistently impressive.

-I dont care how many runs he saves you (and the other night he actually cost us perhaps a game with his glove) Alex Gonzalez is squeezing at bats from guys like Dickerson and Hairston who I see as igniters. Hairston should be the every day shortstop. Gonzalez is as automatic of an out as there is in this league. He's going to hit .230 at best. Mark my words.

-This team simply doesn't hit enough. I don't know where to start. The bottom 3 of the lineup are automatic outs. Hernandez, Gonzalez, Pitcher. Hernandez has the look of a guy who will hit 8 home runs and .240 possibly. This was a team who in spring training half the time was scoring 0, 1 or 2 runs. I was alarmed then and while I'm willing to be patient to make an outright full judgement, my concern is growing. The biggest thing I see is you have two young hitters who could be great.... but they're being asked to carry the whole load. That is the organizations fault. There is no one in that lineup other then Bruce, Votto, and maybe Phillips who are a threat. There is no protection for the young guys and they're at a time when they should be allowed to develop.... not carry a team. It's not fair. Shame on anyone who wanted Adam Dunn gone. Say what you want but his production will be sorely missed. You talk about your team built on pitching and defense? You're going to have a lot of 10-2 games like the one we had today.

-This is not a "Chicken Little the Sky is falling" post. I am not that type of person. I've watched this team very closely and I'm calling it how I see it. I think a ton of us (myself included) were blinding ourselves on the limitations of this team; and I said they'd win 80. From what I see spring, and even now those two games in which we scored a few runs (it was an ugly display both games allowing us to score more then 1 or 2) I just don't think there is enough firepower and this is going to be a total rebuilding year.
    Last edited by Ghosts of 1990; 04-11-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This group feels pretty bland to me

not only a rebuilding year, but a long year.

It's just not going to be very good...it's different, for sure but still the same ole Reds that we've come to love for the most part since '96

Great points and i fully confirm.

Except for maybe the A. DUnn thing. I think his stats will be missed THIS yr. But his attitude and work ethic will not. Also in the yrs to come we can easily replace his type of stats if this organization will spend any money.

Well, two of the pitchers we faced had our number. Santana has everyone's number and Maholm has the Reds number. If we'd have won game two, we'd be 2-2 right now.

Volquez frustrates me but is still good. Cueto is still getting the ball up in the zone. Arroyo is a workhorse, but hittable. Harang is up and down. I like Owings to be the darkhorse stud we're looking for.

Lineup isn't very formidable. And I agree about Gonzalez.

Votto and Phillips are solid in the infield. We need a SS and 3B. I'm fine with Tavares and Bruce.......but we need a LFer. Not that impressed with Ramon behind the plate........but still very impressed with Hanigan behind the plate.......including his great throwout at 2nd.

Bullpen appears to need tweaking. Burton not looking so great so far. Lincoln looking like a disaster. Everyone else looking pretty solid.

4 games. Plenty of time.

part of BBN

Santana is one of the top lefties in the game and Maholm is one of the most under-rated.
    We have scored plenty of runs in the "other" 2 games.
    Hernandez will probably hit around 250-260 with 18 or more homers.
    Gonzalez doesnt impress me with his stick and maybe he gets to more balls than most however he boots to many routine plays imo.

I wanted the reds to consider using Owings in LF vs lefties in ST but he had to go and pitch well.
    He certainly looks like a big time hitter.

If Taveras plays, he needs to at least attempt one bunt every time up.
    Phillips is okay but I still wish we would have aquired a big bat to help Bruce and Votto.

With Dickerson in there in LF, I still feel as the last few years and that is we will play better vs Righties.

Bruce has been absolutly terrible to start the year as well. I mean he just looks lost sometimes at the plate, and what the hell was he doing in the 9th today?

Is there anyone out there that thinks the Reds still win over 85 games after watching these 4 games? I didn't think so (We remember all of you from the preseason). I've said it all along--81 wins and I'll be ecstatic. We're Y-O-U-N-G. We're a few years and a couple hitters away from contention. The offense is doing better than I expected! We need to take tomorrow with Harang against Snell and be at .500 by the month's end.

http://jeromesredscare.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by fadetoblack2880 View Post
    not only a rebuilding year, but a long year.
    I thought LAST YEAR was the rebuilding year ? or was it the year before that. Face it until baseball does something about the free spending of all these major market teams, we will be what you see. We will have spurts like always then we will have times like right now. No Offense, and the strength (starting pitching) so far has been the biggest disappointment of the year. Not to mention the poor D and pathetic base running. This team is a mess. Last year was bad and this year so far just looks like a repeat of that. Will we be out of it by the end of May again ???

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Bruce has been absolutly terrible to start the year as well. I mean he just looks lost sometimes at the plate, and what the hell was he doing in the 9th today?
    Disagree.

You are looking at stats and not what is happening on the field. He does not look lost at the plate, at all. Nor did he this spring.

He's hit several bullets right at people for outs(first at bat today, wednesday night he flew out to warning track) and several shots that were just foul by inches. He has struck out twice thus far which is showing improvement in contact. All of his hits have been backside which as a lefthander that means he's really taking a great approach (and I heard them comment that about him this spring also).

When he is making outs, they are productive outs. He has moved the runner over several times with something to the right side in the first few games when men on base. I don't know how you could say "Bruce has been terrible/lost" unless you are not watching the games and just looking at the box scores. Those outs he's making? Well there is a stap kept in every big league clubhouse called "hard hit/tendency to rise" average. All those productive outs and hard hit at bats that you see are counted towards the average but it basically means this "slump" he is in isn't likely to continue.
    Last edited by Ghosts of 1990; 04-11-2009 at 06:27 PM.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    Is there anyone out there that thinks the Reds still win over 85 games after watching these 4 games? I didn't think so (We remember all of you from the preseason). I've said it all along--81 wins and I'll be ecstatic. We're Y-O-U-N-G. We're a few years and a couple hitters away from contention. The offense is doing better than I expected! We need to take tomorrow with Harang against Snell and be at .500 by the month's end.

Eh. To be honest, the Rays were as young as you can get last year and they did well.

Something is wrong here, and I cannot put my finger on it. You know I love this team and if they lose 130 games I'm still going to love them and watch them every night but something is missing. Something big. I wish I was smart enough to figure it out but the main thing I see is management took the shortcut when it comes to personnel and fielded a team that is about a 69 win team no matter what they do.

Every year is a rebuilding year for us. Just once, I'd like to be the team who jumps out to 8-0 and surprises like the Marlins.... just one time. You know you look at the Marlins, and honestly on paper with personnel they don't have us by a lot, but something is different in that organization. The way they do things. The way their players always turn out and ours always turn out Austin Kearns. Something is wrong here.....

Just for perspective

Red Sox 1-3
    Phillies 1-3
    Indians 0-5

OK, this group is bland. True. So let's go ahead and put the Reds' best lineup in the game tomorrow again another lefty. It obviously won't happen, but I'd argue for something like:

Encarnacion, 3B
    Phillips, 2B
    Votto, 1B
    Gomes, LF (him and Rosales called up; Taveras and McDonald sent down)
    Bruce, RF
    Hanigan, C
    Hairston or Dickerson, CF
    Gonzalez, SS
    Harang, P

It's still not real potent, but it at least would be an attempt to make it as difficult on a lefty pitcher as the Reds are able while maintaining any semblance of a competent defense.

Gonzo hasn't really swung a bat in a year in a half. Give him some time. Let's not panic 4 games into the season.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Definitely agree about the bottom of our order. Gonzalez is swinging a toothpick up there and Hernandez is lucky to make contact. The bats need to wake up, but Im confident they will.

Turn Off Ads?