Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Thread: 4/20/09 - Reds vs Astros

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 4/20/09 - Reds vs Astros

In regards to who should've faced Pence...I was happy that Arthur came thru, but I think in that situation, you bring in Cordero. Yeah, I know...that means he has to get FOUR outs instead of just 3...but if he can't handle an inning and a third...we should let him go right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?

After two straight days, including the 4/19 game in which he threw 20+ pitches?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Don't have time? Is that really your excuse?

It's real easy to criticize a discision when you don't have to offer the "better" solution.

But surely you have time now.

Who should have come in to face Pence with the bases loaded and two outs?

I'm not saying that Rhodes was the best choice. I just would like to hear who most posters felt was better.

Because if every poster who posted that Rhodes should be removed, never took the time to consider who they would bring in, they were simply complaining for the sake of complaining. How could leaving Rhodes in be wrong unless there was a better choice? I find it incredible that no one thought it was important enough to think of who might be the better choice.
    Wow, are you my dad? I answer to you, do I?

In the course of the game thread, with a ton unfolding, I need to make sure that I (or anyone) have enough in there to meet YOUR standards?

This really blows, and I have had it with the attitude and anger that many of you seem to bring to this process.

I didn't go into it in the thread, but will now: I didn't like Rhodes there because of the righty dominated Astros line-up and that he was at maximum usage already after the night before.

I would have gone Massett. I like what Massett is bringing, and would have given him a shot. I would have gone with Massett to start the inning, and not let it get to a situation where it was as touch and go as it was. I love Rhodes. I love what he is bringing. I thought he was put into a tough spot last night where his chance at failure was higher than need be. I am glad it worked out. I apologize to you and Scrap and everyone else for daring to question anything that the Reds do. My bad. They are always right.

But, hey, I am out. Take your anger out on someone else, I don't like being the stand-in for whatever strawman you and others are creating. Have at it.
    Last edited by membengal; 04-21-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    In regards to who should've faced Pence...I was happy that Arthur came thru, but I think in that situation, you bring in Cordero. Yeah, I know...that means he has to get FOUR outs instead of just 3...but if he can't handle an inning and a third...we should let him go right now.
    I think many thought that Cordero was not available and Weathers was being saved for the 9th. Cordero made close to 30 pitches on Sunday. He certainly wasn't going to be ridden hard last night.

I really think posters need to leave their emotions at the door when they come into the game threads. It used to bug me how these things would escalate and Id find myself at the thick of the battle.

Now I prefer to read from the sidelines mostly or not read at all. 20 posts talking about how Rhodes was the wrong choice isn't interesting writing. I mean thats the type of content that I could get from the chat room function. But when I'm going through a game thread it would be nice to see the alternatives for decision making thoughts like that one. "Rhodes is the wrong choice" means nothing without context of knowing who the better choice was.

I think that decision was absolutely debatable, and I think membengal is right in regards that there is no problem in saying that. But for the most part I don't think that's the real issue. It's making statements like that without quickly backing up your stance. I mean, saying "I'd go with Masset here, he's been bringing it this season" doesn't take long, states your opinion, and adds a relevant point to the conversation. While "Rhodes is the wrong choice here" really means nothing to me on it's own.

Just my two cents, but I don't think it is that difficult to enhance the individual post quality in these threads, and could seriously make the conversations a little more tolerable and interesting. Posting what 20 other people are capable of saying at the same time doesnt bring a heck of a lot to the thread.

If you go read the Brewers message boards, or the Red Sox boards, you'll find that their game threads are similar to ours, except theirs includes some f-bombs and other curse words. It's not just Redszone. Every game thread is going to be full of emotion, no matter what team or message board it is.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    If you go read the Brewers message boards, or the Red Sox boards, you'll find that their game threads are similar to ours, except theirs includes some f-bombs and other curse words. It's not just Redszone. Every game thread is going to be full of emotion, no matter what team or message board it is.
    I think during the game it's fine, and neccessary because of the game unfolding in front of us.

I didn't articulate this point at all, but what I meant by the comment was in regards to personal fights, and taking each other's posts so emotionally. There's really no reason for things to get personaly among a bunch of Reds fans who are all trying to enjoy the game.

I'd just like to see game threads be more like the ORG... respectful with quality posts. The game thread is a different animal, but it doesnt mean that all level of analysis should be given the boot.

For the record, I was putting my youngest child to bed as the bottom of the 8th unfolded. I had previous to that enjoyed the 7 1/2 innings I spent with others on the thread, and I apologize to Scrap, PuffyPig, AK, and anyone else offended that I did not have time to get to the computer as the inning began and outline all the ways that was a risky move and proffer alternatives. I will try and do better next time to meet those exacting standards.

For the record, I did get to post by the end of that inning, and marveled with joy at how it worked out.

I did not at any point overtly or covertly bash Dusty Baker, whom I have actually defended in detail at times on this board over the past year, particularly when it comes to his handling of the young pitchers and their pitch counts last year (no, really, it's true! you can find the thread I started without too much difficulty! http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...light=Zambrano). Nor did anyone else.

Nevertheless, I shall tell my child next time to put himself to bed so I can make certain to uphold the highest of game thread posting standards, and make certain to back up any wondering I have as to moves the Reds are making with flow charts, links to baseball reference, and internal links to previous discussions...
    Last edited by membengal; 04-21-2009 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I had previous to that enjoyed the 7 1/2 innings I spent with others on the thread, and I apologize to Scrap, PuffyPig, AK,
    Please dont take my comments personally, its not about that. My point wasnt just about your post, absolutely nothing about that, you just seemed to be the person defending that side of the discussion, that's why I addressed my comments towards you. I'm just saying, hering the exact same thought 20 times without any further analysis isn't that interesting to read to me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that thought. I'm sure sometimes your in between things and just want to make a quick point or whatever. Doesn't bother me.

But those types of comments are the ONLY thing that makes up a game thread these days. It's not like this discussion is based on a rare event, I'm more talking about the macro aspect. I'm sure someone's going to come back with the old "if you dont like it, you dont have to read it" quip, but the game threads have been good in the past, and Im honestly just trying to illustrate what I think worked for them in the past. My point is I'd like to see a better effort to take a second to think about the situation more seriously rather than button mashing the second something happens. Redszone is better than all the other forums, and we have better posters, so why can't we have better game threads too?

Some people are just going to make one liners or whatever, but I would like to see more of an effort on the whole to make a better effort into posts rather than than hering "he into a Phillips, formerly known as a Casey" 10 times in a row everytime someone hits into a DP.

In regards to you membengal, I find that over the long haul, you have been one of the best game thread participants around these parts, so I truthfully dont mean to come accross as insulting. I'm just saying that some discussions are intersting and come with a decent analysis of the situation, and the Rhodes moment yesterday just wasnt one of them. I read the thread after the game concluded and came away with the thought that nobody could really come accross a better alterntaive than Rhodes even though basically everyone unanimously hated the move.

For the record, I did get to post by the end of that inning, and marveled with joy at how it worked out.
    And to me, this has nothing to do with my point of the discussion. i have 100% no problem second guessing Baker. There should in fact be a natural disagreeance with the bulk of his manouvers.

Turn Off Ads?