Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 2009-2010 Kentucky Wildcats Football

Re: 2009-2010 Kentucky Wildcats Football

With Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida all in varying stages of rebuilding and/or turmoil is next year THE year for UK football? I'm not sure about the defensive losses but they appear to be well-positioned on the offensive side of the ball. As the SEC East powers are almost never down like this all at once, what expectations will UK fans have for next year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Very little, if they have any sense. Kentucky is short talent. Shorter talent than any team in the SEC East aside from Vandy. Talent wins out.

This is not to say Kentucky might go to another middling bowl. Perhaps, if UT can't find another coach, if UGA is going to try another defensive scheme, and if Florida... (There's simply no way to see Kentucky beating Florida. Ever.)

But to expect them to contend for the crown?

Madness.

Kentucky returns their top skill players at tailback, both wide receiver spots, and quarterback. But all have legitimate questions that have to be addressed. It's not like the Cats have a Tebow or even a Woodson as signal caller. Newton is still relatively new to the system and likely to struggle. Both Mathews (who disappeared once the SEC started) and Cobb (health) have questions. So does Locke (health and workload).

Not only that, they return one offensive lineman and very little across the front seven defensively. (And in the defensive backfield, for that matter.) Neither TE has played at Kentucky and the fullback spot is wide open.

In short, Kentucky's in no spot to be dogging anyone in the SEC.

UK lost a lot on defense and most of the OL. They also need receivers. Very lacking there last season. I look for another 7-5 to 6-6 season. They will have to win all four non-conference games and find two wins in conference. At UL will be the toughest non-conference game. Just don't what to expect from Charlie Strong and that will be his first game too. The other three should be cakewalks,WKU,Akron and Charleston Southern. They should beat Vandy and find a win or two among South Carolina, Miss State,Ole Miss, Georgia and Auburn. Maybe add Tennessee to that list depending on how things pan out with new coaches for them. Joker has a big job though getting that defense rebuilt and making the offense at least a consistent threat.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

...and Kentucky's recruiting class ranks 11th of the 12 SEC teams.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    No way around the truth of that statement.

However, depending on which ranking system you believe, SEC teams earned anywhere from 7-8 of the top 25 rankings.

If true, then UK coming 11th in the SEC might be something like 3rd-4th in the Big East....

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post

However, depending on which ranking system you believe, SEC teams earned anywhere from 7-8 of the top 25 rankings.

If true, then UK coming 11th in the SEC might be something like 3rd-4th in the Big East....

This is where it all starts. Folks like me say it's awfully hard to compete in the SEC and it'd be much easier in the Big East or Big Ten. Well this is what I mean. The SEC is dominating in recruiting so they have a rung up on the rest of the competition before practice even starts. I didn't watch the recruiting shows religiously yesterday but when I did I heard precious little on any Big East or Big Ten teams. The news was all about the SEC, USC, Washington and ND.

Who was #12? Vandy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Who was #12? Vandy?
    Yep, but not my much.

Kentucky ranked 49th overall by Rivals. Your friend Kiffin out in Los Angeles ranked #1 with his new team.

Yep, but not my much.

Kentucky ranked 49th overall by Rivals. Your friend Kiffin out in Los Angeles ranked #1 with his new team.
    Rivals had USC ahead of Florida? I thought every service had Florida #1. Some were saying Florida's could be the best recruiting class ever

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post

When it comes to rankings and UK football I hardly ever take notice. Nine times out of ten, I look at speed, size, and other intangibles.

We may get a five star recruit from in-state such as Micah Johnson or Tim Couch, but when you are in UK's position in the SEC (bottom feeder that is overshadowed by its basketball program), you are going to have to make do and get the best 3 star recruits available with an occasional four star in the mix.

If we all went by rankings, Randall Cobb would have never received a scholarship.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Rivals had USC ahead of Florida? I thought every service had Florida #1. Some were saying Florida's could be the best recruiting class ever
    They did, and also, after I posted that, I realized that I should have added that Kiffin was the beneficiary of someone else's recruiting. Then again, his efforts got left behind in Tennessee, so I guess it evened out.

They did, and also, after I posted that, I realized that I should have added that Kiffin was the beneficiary of someone else's recruiting. Then again, his efforts got left behind in Tennessee, so I guess it evened out.

Yeah, I think Tennessee only lost two recruits to Kiffin so that's not too bad. None of the students who were counseled not to attend class the day after Kiffin resigned obliged. They all enrolled at UT.

I'm amazed that Rivals had USC above Florida.

Turn Off Ads?