Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
I expected a bit more offensive punch and a bit less pitching, but about the same record. EdE tanking really surprised me. I had him pegged for a breakout 875 OPS season. I also thought Phillips would hit better than this, though I assumed Taveras slightly worse. (He's not been bad; he's been mediocre.)
I agree Scrap. I thought they might find a winning season, but hover around the .500 mark. I expected EE and BP to continue to hit well and I thought Dickerson would be winning that LF job by now. I guessed right on Gonzalez having a rough time and the team being run-challenged. I never dreamed the pitching staff would be this good, though.

It will be nice to shop for hitting instead of pitching because hitters are easier to find, but let me make one thing clear. I believe Jay Bruce will be a great OF'er for the Reds, but you cannot mask the need for him to hit left handed pitching. Yes, he hit a ball hard that was nearly a HR, but with a 4-24 stat, he needs to work on this and he probably is. Hairston is anothing thing entirely. If Bruce looks lost against lefties, Hairston just looks lost. Maybe he'll come out of it, but hitting him in the 2 hole while he does is insane.

All in all, though, 12-10 exceeds my expectations.