Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indy 500

Indy 500

Going to Indianapolis over Memorial Day Weekend to visit my sister, brother-in-law, and newborn nephew. Had a pair of tickets to the 500 fall into my lap, so my brother-in-law and I will be at the race.

I generally have 0 interest in car racing (and cars in general...), but I figure that if I'm ever going to take in a race, this is the one to do.

Brother-in-law is a native Hoosier, so he's in charge of all of the race day logistics. With that in mind, I figure surely folks around here might have some suggestions as to what to do/avoid at the track, things to check out, etc. Our seats are fairly high up in turn 3.

So, fellow Redzoners, what do I need to know before race day?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Indy 500

First and foremost give yourself plenty of time to get parked and into the track Sunday. I would suggest being in the vicinity of the track by 10:00am Sunday. Traffic is always horrible on race day and this year it will be worse with construction going on. I suggest being in your seats one hour prior to the start of the race so you can see all the pre race festivities. If you are in town or have time the night before the race the area around the track is one huge party.

I go to the race every year with my Dad. We sit in the top row of turn 3. I agree that you should get there early. If you get a chance check out the museum; it's pretty neat if you've never seen it.

Sunscreen, bring it; the sun reflecting off the aluminum stands can be pretty intense. Last thing: watch all the stupid drunk people as they can be pretty entertaining sometimes!

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Last thing: watch all the stupid drunk people as they can be pretty entertaining sometimes!

Bum
    It was a few years back, but you could bring your own snacks and drinks (booze included!). We brought in water pitchers filled with Morgan & Coke and packages of Lil' Debbie Cheese on Cheese crackers. We were the people Bumstead mentioned.

So, I recommend bringing your own refreshments and, of course, sun screen. The atmosphere is worth the trip, even if you don't enjoy racing (as I don't, either). A bit of a Kentucky Derby vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    If you get a chance check out the museum; it's pretty neat if you've never seen it.
    I'll second that, their museum is very good. Of course if you're not interested in racing I'm not sure you'll get much out of it, but if your brother-in-law likes racing he should really enjoy the museum.

I strongly recommend you take the bus. You have no idea what log jam traffic is if you try to park yourself near the Speedway.

http://www.indy500.com/news/13954/Ro..._Indy_500_Fans
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Stat geek...and proud

I used to park at an industrial park off 10th Street. Easy in, easy out. Shh, it's my little secret spot.

I forgot to mention....You can bring a cooler in with snacks and beverages. Your cooler can only be a certain size and no glass. I believe you can look and their website and see what you can and can not bring.

www.indy500.com

One word, ear plugs.
    Another word, sunscreen.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    I strongly recommend you take the bus. You have no idea what log jam traffic is if you try to park yourself near the Speedway.
    I've lived in Atlanta for 14 years, so I've seen a traffic jam or three.

Thanks for the advice, folks. Keep it coming.

I love Indy. The 500 is the best race in the world. You're going to have a blast.

For additional advice, you might want to drop by Track Forum (www.trackforum.com).

You a poster there, GIK?

Stat geek...and proud

I'm actually a lurker there. Grew up 50 miles from Indy, so I'm all about the Indy 500. I'm 31, so I can remember when Indy was still Indy. I still watch those late 80s early 90s races when they come on ESPN Classic. Then I've read up a lot on the history of the race and track, so I'm somewhat of an Indy history geek.

I'm 41 and have been going to Indy since I was 3. There were the good old days, then there were the great IRL races and then there is now...the racing is still great but man, they have lost the public's interest. I still get chills down my back at the start of every Indy 500 though!

I second the ear plugs!

I park in the 'Coke' lot but then again, I'm never in a hurry to get out.

Bum

I've lived in Indy since 2000 and every year I get a little bit more excited for the race. Last year I listened wire to wire.

I'm interested in the personalities this year. Helio and his tax issue than taking the pole, Kanaan and his everlasting search for the win. Danica who has gone from phenomenon to overrated to probably a little bit underrated. The young guns who had great qualifying times. It'll be hard to see how this race could disappoint.

Turn Off Ads?