Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Thread: 6/7/09 Reds vs Cubs

Re: 6/7/09 Reds vs Cubs

The Padres play some long games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    The Padres are using shortstop Josh Wilson to pitch in the 18th
    He has pitched earlier this year. He pitched for the Diamondbacks in a game against the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    He has pitched earlier this year. He pitched for the Diamondbacks in a game against the Reds.
    McDonald hit into a double play when he was pitching.

Wilson just gave up a 3 run homer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Diamondbacks just took a 9-6 lead after Reynolds homered off Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Take the money we signed Lincoln and Taveras for, think we could have signed somebody decent?

I know it could have got us Orlando Hudson.
    Or Robt. "Bob" Abreu.

Was at the game yesterday but left somewhere after 11 but before the end of the game. I honestly can't remember because they all started to blur together.

Some observations:

As has been pointed out, the loss was on the offense yesterday, not Lincoln. Dusty did everything he could to avoid using him but eventually had no choice. I'd much rather he toss Lincoln out there than start warming up Harrang. The offense left a small army of people on base and had a bunch of chances to score runs and got the epic fail instead.

I like a Nix/Gomes platoon in left (not really, but I can live with it). I like a Nix, Tavaras and Dickerson outfield less.

Hannigan, while really a backup guy, really did a bang-up job behind the dish yesterday in what I'm sure was a grueling task.

I know some people salivate over Adam Rosales's act but it was forced when he first came up, then became tired and is now just completely bush-league. No amount of running around like a complete jackass makes up for his lack of talent. Sorry folks, I know the Pete Rose routine gets a lot of millage out of the Cincy fans but that says more about the fan-base than it does about young Adam.

Bruce was sent to the plate in a pitch hitting situation (Dusty showing support for the struggling youngster), made a nice smooth stroke, and blamo got a double. Funny how just relaxing does wonders for your hitting. Kudos for Dusty spending visible time with Bruce in the dougout. No idea what they discussed, of if it actually helped, but Dusty is obviously spending time with the kid and that's a good move IMO.

ETA: I still hate Cubs fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Was at the game yesterday but left somewhere after 11 but before the end of the game. I honestly can't remember because they all started to blur together.

Some observations:

As has been pointed out, the loss was on the offense yesterday, not Lincoln. Dusty did everything he could to avoid using him but eventually had no choice. I'd much rather he toss Lincoln out there than start warming up Harrang. The offense left a small army of people on base and had a bunch of chances to score runs and got the epic fail instead.

I like a Nix/Gomes platoon in left (not really, but I can live with it). I like a Nix, Tavaras and Dickerson outfield less.

Hannigan, while really a backup guy, really did a bang-up job behind the dish yesterday in what I'm sure was a grueling task.

I know some people salivate over Adam Rosales's act but it was forced when he first came up, then became tired and is now just completely bush-league. No amount of running around like a complete jackass makes up for his lack of talent. Sorry folks, I know the Pete Rose routine gets a lot of millage out of the Cincy fans but that says more about the fan-base than it does about young Adam.

Bruce was sent to the plate in a pitch hitting situation (Dusty showing support for the struggling youngster), made a nice smooth stroke, and blamo got a double. Funny how just relaxing does wonders for your hitting. Kudos for Dusty spending visible time with Bruce in the dougout. No idea what they discussed, of if it actually helped, but Dusty is obviously spending time with the kid and that's a good move IMO.

ETA: I still hate Cubs fans.
    I think this is Dusty's greatest value. I know the knee jerk belief was that Dusty loves some vets, but I think he's been tremendous with our youngsters. And I'm sure Bruce knew he needed to have this day off and the one on one tutelage. Hopefully it helps.

And, yes, there's nothing more galling than to hear the loud cheers of Cubs fans when something good happens for them. The only upside is that the club got their money.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think this is Dusty's greatest value. I know the knee jerk belief was that Dusty loves some vets, but I think he's been tremendous with our youngsters. And I'm sure Bruce knew he needed to have this day off and the one on one tutelage. Hopefully it helps.

And, yes, there's nothing more galling than to hear the loud cheers of Cubs fans when something good happens for them. The only upside is that the club got their money.
    None of the kids can ever say that they have not had their chance. I think that's important. Many thought Votto would sit in favor of Hatteberg. It didn't happen. He's played Rosales until he's played out. Dickerson--really all the youngsters have played.

As for the Cub fans, I refused to watch and didn't until it got into extras and gave in and then I heard the cheers again. Of course if more Cincy fans bought tickets, we wouldn;'t have the problem, right?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

One point to make in this game was that Dusty double switched this team into oblivion. He double switched Gomes out of the game and put Taveras (who had made the last out the inning before and was due up 9th) in his place while actually moving the pitcher into the 6 spot and left him due to bat 4
    spots sooner.

Next he double switched Hairston out of the game in favor of Rosales. This switch made more sense in moving the pitcher down in the order, but really only became necessary because of the mistake that was made in the earlier double switch.

Beyond those moves, he left Dickerson in to hit against a lefty when the team had a chance to win it (Dickerson dribbled one in front of home plate) and he brought in Herrera to pitch to a couple batters and replaced him with Weathers and basically "burnt" a pitcher without really needing to. If Weathers was his choice, he should have started the inning.

These moves weakened the line-up significantly with Gomes and Hairston out in favor of Willy and Rosales. Taking Gomes out of the six hole came back to haunt the team a couple times with Hernandez getting an intentional walk in one game situation and Rosales failing to get the run in a couple times in others. With Bruce sinking into the abyss and Votto and EdE out, the team really only has 6 relatively decent offensive threats at this point (Phillips, Hernandez, Nix, Hanigan, Gomes and Hairston - maybe 7 if you count Dickerson as a decent table setter against RHP) and moves to take any of those guys out really put the team at a disadvantage. Rosales is ok as the 25th man but these moves basically left the line-up with 4 spots that are easy outs (Gonzalez/Janish, Taveras, Rosales, the pitcher). It may have been a much different game had Gomes and Hairston still been in there.

Finally, the move to burn Herrera left the Reds with only Lincoln left available in the 14th. We saw how that ended.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?