Turn Off Ads?

Thread: At this point last year...

At this point last year...

The Reds had won 31 games as of June 11th 2008.

But they lost 37 already at that point.

I think we are right in the middle of the division race, where as last year we were hanging out in the damp cellar with our god friends the Pirates.

Now yes we may not have played 68 games yet, but do you see this team losing 10 straight games. Last year, you might have said deffinitely, but probably not even then. And we would have had Fogg throwing twice in that span.

This year is a different story:

Rotation

Harang-great tonight (got robbed by Dusty for the W) and has been healthy all season thanks to a good weight loss idea.
    Arroyo- Still 1st or 2nd in wins in the NL. Are you kidding me? would be the first response many would have made if told that after his bad MIL outing.
    Cueto- Ridiculous, and probably our All-Star nod. Sick stuff with good control will get ANYONE out (including, yes even "The Machine" Mr. Grande)
    Volquez- Disappointing about the injury, but when he is on he looks like himself from last year. Honestly I usually have a good feeling when I know he is on the hill.
    Owings- I can't stand hearing complaints about our 5th starter/star pinch hitter. I do not need to even mention stats when I bring up the name of the aforementioned Mr. Fogg. Wait for it......I think that is self explanatory

Bullpen

With our mainstay guys Rhodes, Masset, Harerra, Weathers, Burton and even Fisher our Bullpen ERA is....................... 2.2!

Yes Lincoln is shaky basically all the time so when you add him to the mix
    it goes up to 3.08 which is ridiculously good.
    Shed Lincoln when Volquez becomes healthy and we have a solid 2-3 ERA bullpen. Last years was decent but no where near this sick.

Position Players

Catchers- As pointed out already, we are throwing more runners out, and not having any miscues with pitchers ala passed balls. 2 great guys who know how to run a young rotation. Last year we had Bako...again enough said.
    1B- Votto is hurt yes, but there is no denying that when he comes in any game you feel he will do something spectacular. And who can forget Ramon playing 1st like he has been there his whole career. What a value.
    2B- Same as last year, but with more hustle out of BP. Love the ways he grinds it out game after game.
    SS-Gonzo's bat is starting to come alive. His glove though is the part that we missed most of all. 60+ double plays turned by the Reds. You gotta figure that is how many we turned all of last season.
    3B- Since EE's injury many have stepped up at the hot corner and mostly JHJ and Rosales have been playing decent. EE's defense was never grand so we don't lose much there. But he is a true power threat, that is what we miss most.
    LF- Defensively is a 180. Offensively however we obviously are not quite up to par. But I like what I see from the platoon guys.
    CF- Defensively better that CP did last year IMO. Offensively anything is better than last year. How quick we are to forget how horrid it was all season with CP. Willy T will hit again and CDick will come into his own as a full year ML player
    RF- Defensively again is a major lift here. If Bruce can have games like he was having and had recently, he will be fine. How old is he again? Oh yeah, that's right. He would have just finished college ball as a senior this year. Give him time.

We have already played in 5 more division games this year than we did last year at this point.
    2008 vs. NL Central as of June 11- 15-16
    2009 vs. NL Central as of June 11- 20-16

Same amount of losses but all of the 5 more we have played we have won.

It took until July 12 last year to get 20 Wins against our division.

You gotta start feeling good about this team. Our longest losing skid has been 4 games. Last year it was a horrific amount of 5 game, 4 game and even 7 game skids.

I would like to here some of your thought on the matters stated above or anything else you want to add.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: At this point last year...

Bump Bump Bump

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Re: At this point last year...

The catching situation is as good on this team since No. 5 was back there. An absolute strength and, to be honest, a real pleasant surprise. Wasn't expecting it to be this good. Thought it could be solid, but not a huge plus.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Turn Off Ads?