Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

On July 4th, my fiancee Erin and I took a ghost tour to the Grove at Gettysburg. When we were there last year, our guide had told us to not enter the Grove. This time, the guide did allow us to enter. While in there, he told us of a story about a ghost that had been seen there recently. It was the spirit of a 13 year old girl named Elizabeth. She was a mentally disturbed girl who wandered away from home shortly after the war, traumatized by the fighting that had occurred there, and committed suicide. Our guide reported that he had seen her on two occasions. The first time, he shined his flashlight on her, and she hissed at him while moving her body into a lunging position. The second time he said she was seen while he told a group the story about his first encounter, and this time, she was just pacing back and forth in the woods behind him.

Erin and I had already been planning on going out later that night on our own to explore the area. It was Erin's idea to go out around dead time (3:00 AM). We went down to the grove, and as I approached the woods, something inside the trees threw something at me. Erin ran and refused to go in any further. I snapped some photos, which I just now looked at.

If you look at the pictures, you can see the shape of what appears to be a woman in spectral form, somewhat skeletal in appearance.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

It's like Blair Witch Project meets Gettysburg

Looked at one, not looking at the rest. Unsettling.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If, in death, I end up roaming through the woods for hundreds of years scaring ghost seekers, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Maybe it's because I believe there is no such thing as ghosts, but I don't see a thing.

Sava,

I used to give Ghost Tours in Charleston, SC. I can tell you from experience that half the stories are made up. Personally, I loved it when someone thought they had something on their camera. That made the tips roll in! That is not say I'm a total non-believer. I've just been in enough situations to know; people see what they want to.

Furthermore, I read through the story about the girl's suicide. That certainly sounds like a ghost tour fabrication. We told a story about how Castle Pinckney in Charleston Harbor burnt to the ground killing all inside during the Civil War. We told the tour that the soldiers staying there we're burning alive and throwing themselves into the harbor only to feel the sting of salt! And then we would say, "you could smell the burning flesh from the lavish homes in Battery Parl." It was the most elaborate and detailed story we had. The truth was Castle Pinckney did burn to the ground, but in the 1950's, and no one was inside when it happened. In fact, the only thing signficant about Castle Pinckney was the fact it was taken by the Confederates before Fort Sumter. The Union troops moved from the island to Fort Sumter for better protection.

Truthfully, the only reason we took people out there was to ensure they got a nice breeze in July coming off the ocean.

It would stand to reason that this grove you speak of is probably just a nice place to tell a great story. If it's not historically backed up, I wouldn't believe it.
    Last edited by forfreelin04; 07-08-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Sava,

I used to give Ghost Tours in Charleston, SC. I can tell you from experience that half the stories are made up. Personally, I loved it when someone thought they had something on their camera. That made the tips roll in! That is not say I'm a total non-believer. I've just been in enough situations to know; people see what they want to.
    I've been ghosthunting for years. I don't want to come off as a kook, but I've had encounters with spirits, and moreso with demonic entities. I didn't want to believe for a long time, in fact I try to be as skeptical as possible, but I've experienced too much. Maybe there is nothing there in the photo, but something did throw something at me from in the woods.

For the record, I was wearing a Union slouch hat entering an area that was occupied by Confederate soldiers 146 years ago.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Well, in the video game thread, we've got some guys working on their ghostbusting techniques, so maybe they should check it out.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If, in death, I end up roaming through the woods for hundreds of years scaring ghost seekers, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Maybe it's because I believe there is no such thing as ghosts, but I don't see a thing.
    It seems lots of people don't believe in ghosts until they experience something. My best friend used to always give me crap.... until he lived in Arizona for 6 months. He didn't believe in any God or after life or anything before he moved out there. After his experiences in the house he lived in, he is certainly a believer now.

I also managed to capture this image during the daylight while hiking Big Round Top. It resembles the image of a soldier. Don't know how to explain it. I know it wasn't a tree.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Looks like possibly a brown leaf hanging from that tree right by you. It doesn't look like the image is far away depth-wise. When you zoom in on it, of course it looks a little weird, but I think based on that first picture that it's just a leaf.

Now those night pictures at the beginning of this thread, I have no idea.

I grew up in a Victorian era house and that will make a believer of anyone. Crazy, crazy things happened to me as a child and teenager. I always wondered if I was crazy until my wife-to-be was visiting my parents (I had told none of them of my encounters) experienced the exact same presences I had growing up. I was comfortably asleep 2,500 miles away in California and had not warned her what was in store if she slept alone in my bedroom. It unsettled here, and she was far from a believer. She is, in fact, a die hard atheist and skeptic. But she believes in her experiences and they continue to this day in the same location, though they no longer unsettle her as much.

Are ghosts real? No one can say conclusively What I can tell you is that I can walk into a location and give you a fairly accurate portrayal of those who have lived there and events that have occurred there. I can not explain my ability but it is certainly there and it is something I've grown comfortable with. The only downside is that people always want to take me to old, decrepit buildings and have me tell a story. The truth is, what I have for them is just usually not that interesting, much like everyday life. When a "psychic" or "parapsychologist" has a wild yarn for everything I get suspicious. It doesn't fit with my own very real encounters and I get suspicious that they are just milking it for money.

I have been to many civil war battlefields. Sava, I don't know what you encountered but let me say I've had some chilling experiences. Now, proceed to call for my straight jacket folks.

Edit: I agree with BuckeyeRedleg about the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I agree. I don't see squat.

Does anybody else have a Cry Baby Bridge where you live? You know - the story where a mother left her baby on a railroad bridge, and it died, and at night you can hear the baby crying. We seem to have several of them. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Looks like possibly a brown leaf hanging from that tree right by you. It doesn't look like the image is far away depth-wise. When you zoom in on it, of course it looks a little weird, but I think based on that first picture that it's just a leaf.
    It may be a brown leaf. That was my first thought as well, but then I thought that if it was just a brown leaf, then why don't I see any other brown leaves besides just that one in the entire section of forest?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    It may be a brown leaf. That was my first thought as well, but then I thought that if it was just a brown leaf, then why don't I see any other brown leaves besides just that one in the entire section of forest?
    Because a squirrel broke a small branch causing it to die?

Because a recent thunderstorm caused that branch to break causing it to die and turn brown?

Because the tree has recently been infected with some sort of insect and that's the first branch to die?

Could be any number of explanations. I have singular dead branches in a number of my trees. Not sure why.

ETA: Even if it's not a dead leaf/branch in the tree, it doesn't look anything like a dead union trooper to me.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post

It looks like you took two pictures, right?

If so, what caused you to take two pictures of trees and brush or did you think you saw something weird in the first place?

I'm just trying to figure out if you were looking for something when you took the pictures or just later noticed it when you got the pics developed. If you noticed it later, I'm still wondering why you took two pictures of the same thing (from slightly different angles).

Turn Off Ads?