Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

The Cresent Hotel in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, is pretty famous for ghost sightings. We went there last October and though I didn't see any ghosts, a buddy of mine showed me a weird configuration on the digital screen of his camera. He would take a picture but it wouldn't show up.

These are not my photographs so I can't claim they are real.

http://www.crescent-hotel.com/ghosts/photos.htm

In the 1930s, a man named Norman Baker used the building as a cancer ward. He advertised miracle cures but was really in it to make money. He would have patients write a series of letters when they would first arrive. He would then mail them to the patients' homes on a weekly basis after the patients would die. This technique made it possible to keep billing the hopeful families.
    Last edited by Spitball; 07-08-2009 at 02:58 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    Been hunting and studying for years myself (since 1977 or so), pretty interesting stuff out there. I do think that the one pic looks like something hanging in the tree.
    Me too, pretty hardcore stuff also, mostly private homeowners and businesses, dozens of them over the last 5 years. I treat it pretty confidentially since I'm in a sort of visible professional position where I work, but suffice to say, there's a lot of things happening all around us we don't yet understand....not that that isn't obvious. People have real problems with this stuff.

Separating fact from fictional stories and whatnot is always the hard part.

I live in an historic Victorian home, built in the late 1800's, I NEVER believed in "ghosts," until I experienced things here for the last 3+ years.

Photos are never really good evidence or convincing at all, at least video provides some frame of reference other than a split second capture of something. You'll capture things in the IR spectrum, as well, that you won't see with the light your eyes are able to see naturally, flying all around you if it's an "active" spot. It's pretty freaky stuff until you get used to it.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    My favorite haunted spot is the road in Oxford near Miami University where you can pull over, blink 3 times, and then a dead motorcyclist will start driving toward you. Supposedly a long time ago a cyclist hit a little boy on a bike while on a night time trip to see his girlfriend whose parents forbid them to date, perfect haunted love story, ehh? You see the headlight, then the reflectors of the little boy's bike.

It actually DOES work, but I'm convinced that it's just a car coming down a distant hill, bright lights on, which from a distance appear as one headlight... and then I'm guessing it makes a turn, where the breaklights become "reflectors". (I have noticed once or twice the headlight seems to become two headlights the closer it gets, leading to my car theory). But, as I said, it DOES work and makes for a fun night, especially when you're bored.
    You want to be freaked out? Take several people with you. Have them get at different stages of the road and all be on the phone at the same time (three way calling). Flash your lights. You won't see the light coming down the road unless you are at the end of it (at least from my experience). The people on the road up ahead won't see the light at all (again, from my experience... done it three times. Same results every time).

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    We have one just outside of Troy. My friend's parents used to own the house and property right next to it, and they told me there were several times they had to run people off their land late at night who were trying experience the crying baby. They lived there for over 10 years and never heard a thing.
    There is one around Covington, as well - a covered bridge that was also supposedly "Devil worship central". I grew up around there, and visited the old bridge quite a bit. Never heard a baby, saw a ghost or ran into a devil worshipper.
    Did run into a guy later who admitted he and his brother painted stuff on the bridge in attempts to heighten the "Devil worshipping" legend.

I also live in a house that is almost 200 years old. I've never seen or heard a suspicious thing.

And, I did take a look at one of the night photos. Honestly, I really didn't see that much, even when looking at it under different brightnesses.

I have always wondered one thing, though: Why do ghosts take their cloths with them to the afterlife? I can almost rationalize a the human mind being a dimensional entity in itself which has occasion to want to return to its old, physical world (almost rationalize...but never enough to buy into it).
    But how would it manifest the cloths? That is not part of the "spirit". And how does it chose what it wants to wear?
    I'm a ghost, you're seeing me without pants.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    It looks like you took two pictures, right?

If so, what caused you to take two pictures of trees and brush or did you think you saw something weird in the first place?

I'm just trying to figure out if you were looking for something when you took the pictures or just later noticed it when you got the pics developed. If you noticed it later, I'm still wondering why you took two pictures of the same thing (from slightly different angles).
    I was taking random pictures of the wall area. There was also a rock overhang, not actually a deep cave, but a little rocky inlet in the area that I was shooting pictures of, just because Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain of the 20th Maine who fought at Little Round Top is my personal hero, and I wanted images of the area. It was only later when I put the pictures on the computer that I noticed the images.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

when someone says they could never be convinced one way or another, that is a very closed minded and unscientific position.
    I could never be convinced the tooth fairy is real. Am I closed minded?

In all seriousness, I can certainly clarify my earlier statement and say that I could not be convinced without scientific proof, and good luck getting some of that to me.

Photos and eyewitness accounts regarding this type of thing are as useful as a fork in tomato soup.

And all the believers ever offer up is that they know someone, they saw it themselves, or here's a picture.
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 07-08-2009 at 05:49 PM.

There are times when I wonder if it is actually spirits that I'm experiencing, or an energy source left over from a different time, or perhaps alternate dimension. Energy remains after death of all organisms. Perhaps it is possible that in a place where 15,000 people died, there is enough energy still left over to manifest?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

or its nothing

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    or its nothing
    You can believe what you want, but trying to antagonize me on an internet message board isn't going to make you seem cooler in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    You can believe what you want, but trying to antagonize me on an internet message board isn't going to make you seem cooler in the real world.
    Im not the one that thought a dead leaf is some union soldier in some star wars cloak or something.

Or think that some white stuff taken by a camera which has glass, been in your hands all day, and uses a flash is a skeletal woman instead of just some smudge, or the flash reflecting off something out of focus.

I guess I just have to look at it from a "the least likely option" for us to see the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

And all the believers ever offer up is that they know someone, they saw it themselves, or here's a picture.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

If ghosts existed, by now there would at least be a shred of proof. But the "proof" now is the same as the "proof" has always been.

Grainy out of focus pictures, and word of mouth.

The difference with me is I WANT to believe. But approaching it scientifically, it just simply does not hold water.

But you'll never talk a "believer" out of what he/she thinks. Think how many people believe that a bearded white dude talks to them in their minds and has promised them all sorts of goodies after they die.

And why should you talk anyone out of it. "Whatever gets you through the night, it's alright."

This video was shot near the same area I was at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UovBlbzzwlE

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I saw a grainy film of bigfoot once.

The people who shot it eventually fessed up that they staged it.

Normally either staged or some natural occurance that can be explained once analyzed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I saw a grainy film of bigfoot once.

The people who shot it eventually fessed up that they staged it.

Normally either staged or some natural occurance that can be explained once analyzed.
    If you're talking about the patterson film from 1967 they haven't to my knowledge actually admitted to a hoax.

School's out. What did you expect?

So that possibly couldnt be car lights, or something below that little cliff that is there.

Turn Off Ads?