Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Last surviving Cartwright passes away

Last surviving Cartwright passes away

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/afte...ead-at-81.html

Pernell Roberts, Adam Cartwright on "Bonanza," dead at 81

January 25, 2010 | 1:24 pm

Pernell Roberts, an original cast member of one of television's classic westerns, "Bonanza," died at his Malibu home Sunday. He was 81.
    His death from cancer was confirmed by his wife, Eleanor Criswell.
    Roberts was known to fans as the handsome and smart eldest son of the Cartwright clan, Adam. He played the role from its inception in 1959, but tired of the role after six years and left the show to act in films and resume a stage career that had brought him a 1955 Drama Desk Award for best actor in a production of "Macbeth." In 1979, he returned to series television in the popular "Trapper John, M.D.," playing the title character, Dr. John McIntyre, for the show's entire seven seasons.
    In later years, he had guest roles in other shows and narrated documentaries. He retired in the late 1990s.
    A complete news obituary will follow at www.latimes.com/obits.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Last surviving Cartwright passes away

That's some pretty nice real estate:

I love westerns and regularly watch the Encore Western Channel because they show so many of the old 50s/60s classic TV westerns.

Saw Pernell in numerous shows prior to his casting in Bonanza.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I love Bonanza.

Pernell Roberts gave me many pleasant moments in my life.

Thanks Pernell, and God Bless you and your family.

Pernell Roberts reportedly grew to dislike his role as "Adam," finding the scripts to be unworthy of his talents, and he was not particularly close to the trio of Lorne Greene, Dan Blocker and Michael Landon, but he was also probably the most gifted actor of the group. R.I.P.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

The modern version of Pernell Roberts is David Caruso...Got a big hit show, became too big for his britches, wandered in the wilderness for a while, then came back with another hit.

If they don't come back with another hit, well, that's known as the Shelley Long career path.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?