Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

On July 4th, my fiancee Erin and I took a ghost tour to the Grove at Gettysburg. When we were there last year, our guide had told us to not enter the Grove. This time, the guide did allow us to enter. While in there, he told us of a story about a ghost that had been seen there recently. It was the spirit of a 13 year old girl named Elizabeth. She was a mentally disturbed girl who wandered away from home shortly after the war, traumatized by the fighting that had occurred there, and committed suicide. Our guide reported that he had seen her on two occasions. The first time, he shined his flashlight on her, and she hissed at him while moving her body into a lunging position. The second time he said she was seen while he told a group the story about his first encounter, and this time, she was just pacing back and forth in the woods behind him.

Erin and I had already been planning on going out later that night on our own to explore the area. It was Erin's idea to go out around dead time (3:00 AM). We went down to the grove, and as I approached the woods, something inside the trees threw something at me. Erin ran and refused to go in any further. I snapped some photos, which I just now looked at.

If you look at the pictures, you can see the shape of what appears to be a woman in spectral form, somewhat skeletal in appearance.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

It's like Blair Witch Project meets Gettysburg

Looked at one, not looking at the rest. Unsettling.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

If, in death, I end up roaming through the woods for hundreds of years scaring ghost seekers, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Maybe it's because I believe there is no such thing as ghosts, but I don't see a thing.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    If, in death, I end up roaming through the woods for hundreds of years scaring ghost seekers, I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Maybe it's because I believe there is no such thing as ghosts, but I don't see a thing.
    It seems lots of people don't believe in ghosts until they experience something. My best friend used to always give me crap.... until he lived in Arizona for 6 months. He didn't believe in any God or after life or anything before he moved out there. After his experiences in the house he lived in, he is certainly a believer now.

I also managed to capture this image during the daylight while hiking Big Round Top. It resembles the image of a soldier. Don't know how to explain it. I know it wasn't a tree.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I also managed to capture this image during the daylight while hiking Big Round Top. It resembles the image of a soldier. Don't know how to explain it. I know it wasn't a tree.
    looks like a brown rag in a tree to me

HAHA are you kidding me? You have to be joking with this one

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Did you get any closer?

Hard to say what is in the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It seems lots of people don't believe in ghosts until they experience something. My best friend used to always give me crap.... until he lived in Arizona for 6 months. He didn't believe in any God or after life or anything before he moved out there. After his experiences in the house he lived in, he is certainly a believer now.
    If your friend lived anywhere near Phoenix, I bet he just saw an old person.

That brown thing looks like either a leaf or a bat to me, Sava.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

I agree. I don't see squat.

Does anybody else have a Cry Baby Bridge where you live? You know - the story where a mother left her baby on a railroad bridge, and it died, and at night you can hear the baby crying. We seem to have several of them. :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Does anybody else have a Cry Baby Bridge where you live? You know - the story where a mother left her baby on a railroad bridge, and it died, and at night you can hear the baby crying. We seem to have several of them. :
    We have one just outside of Troy. My friend's parents used to own the house and property right next to it, and they told me there were several times they had to run people off their land late at night who were trying experience the crying baby. They lived there for over 10 years and never heard a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    We have one just outside of Troy. My friend's parents used to own the house and property right next to it, and they told me there were several times they had to run people off their land late at night who were trying experience the crying baby. They lived there for over 10 years and never heard a thing.
    There is one around Covington, as well - a covered bridge that was also supposedly "Devil worship central". I grew up around there, and visited the old bridge quite a bit. Never heard a baby, saw a ghost or ran into a devil worshipper.
    Did run into a guy later who admitted he and his brother painted stuff on the bridge in attempts to heighten the "Devil worshipping" legend.

I also live in a house that is almost 200 years old. I've never seen or heard a suspicious thing.

And, I did take a look at one of the night photos. Honestly, I really didn't see that much, even when looking at it under different brightnesses.

I have always wondered one thing, though: Why do ghosts take their cloths with them to the afterlife? I can almost rationalize a the human mind being a dimensional entity in itself which has occasion to want to return to its old, physical world (almost rationalize...but never enough to buy into it).
    But how would it manifest the cloths? That is not part of the "spirit". And how does it chose what it wants to wear?
    I'm a ghost, you're seeing me without pants.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post

Yep, there's one about 3 or 4 miles from my childhood home in Indiana as well.

Sava,

I used to give Ghost Tours in Charleston, SC. I can tell you from experience that half the stories are made up. Personally, I loved it when someone thought they had something on their camera. That made the tips roll in! That is not say I'm a total non-believer. I've just been in enough situations to know; people see what they want to.

Furthermore, I read through the story about the girl's suicide. That certainly sounds like a ghost tour fabrication. We told a story about how Castle Pinckney in Charleston Harbor burnt to the ground killing all inside during the Civil War. We told the tour that the soldiers staying there we're burning alive and throwing themselves into the harbor only to feel the sting of salt! And then we would say, "you could smell the burning flesh from the lavish homes in Battery Parl." It was the most elaborate and detailed story we had. The truth was Castle Pinckney did burn to the ground, but in the 1950's, and no one was inside when it happened. In fact, the only thing signficant about Castle Pinckney was the fact it was taken by the Confederates before Fort Sumter. The Union troops moved from the island to Fort Sumter for better protection.

Truthfully, the only reason we took people out there was to ensure they got a nice breeze in July coming off the ocean.

It would stand to reason that this grove you speak of is probably just a nice place to tell a great story. If it's not historically backed up, I wouldn't believe it.
    Last edited by forfreelin04; 07-08-2009 at 12:56 AM.

Turn Off Ads?