Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
Results 271 to 283 of 283

Thread: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

  1. #271
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    east of WOY
    Posts
    5,071

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    I drove through Roswell the other night. I didn't see any UFOs, but I did meet a few aliens. They spoke excellent Spanish.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

    https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #272
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,633

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Still making your runs, eh, ORH? You get all over.

    Here's to good food and good sleep!

  4. #273
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,516

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Says who?
    Who says they are?

    There is no proof, and the evidence that exists goes against everything we know about physics.

    If some of you feel the ridicule is condescending, I see your point, but I'm just not sure how to reason with an assertion that dead people push people down in the privacy of their own home.

    I've always taken the attitude that the more ear we lend, the more it gives the story credence, when in fact, it's just being polite.

    On the inside I'm thinking it lunacy. Sorry, I am.

    It is adventurous to think about such things as ghosts. It's human nature to wonder if there are more dimensions, if aliens visit us (not sure why their spaceships need lights, but that's another story), and all the other bigfoot and loch ness stuff.

    But at the end of the day, it's hard to give credibility to stories that people put forth, when the story teller has arrived at the conclusion that someone who died is now walking around a house and can push them down by using sheer force.

    I'd like to say, wow, you know, that could really happen, but you know, it really can't. Not if you believe in the laws of physics.

    I think that sure, I could be more respectful, and that point is well taken, though I will tell you, I smile when I write this stuff. It is meant to be in taken in fun, and quite honestly, if I came to you guys with a story about an invisible ghost in my bedroom that assaulted me, I think I would think I was fair game for some teasing.

    To use as an argument, "Anything's possible" is to take seriously a claim such as "A frog's croaking brings the Spring."

    It doesn't, of course, but if we don't dismiss it at hand, sometimes we end up spending years "respecting other's opinions."
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-24-2010 at 12:50 PM.

  5. #274
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    14,047

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    I don't believe in ghost. But I do believe in life outside Earth. Outer-space is vast, and the odds to me say there is life. I didn't say "intelligent" life, just life. I'm still waiting to discover "intelligent" life on Earth.

    On the Ghost issue. Looks like every city are having "Ghost Tours". There's one in San Diego, if you come and visit. I wonder if the Ghost get any royalties from this?

  6. #275
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,633

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Not if you believe in the laws of physics.
    All "scientists" believed that Newton's law of gravity "pulled" everything, especially on Earth, as the reason why we just don't float away......


    .......until Einstein came along and proved that Newton's law of gravity was wrong and that space "pushed" everything, and that's what keeps us from flying away into space.

    In other words, the "laws of physics" are only correct until someone comes along and proves them to be wrong, which happens every year on a regular basis.

    Never believe there are black-and-white answers for ANYTHING, including the "laws of physics", because facts and history show that they are as inconsistent and unreliable as a Dusty Baker starting lineup.

    And, it's probable that you didn't even know what I just told you, so that you had it "all figured out", just goes to show you that there is so little that you and all of us actually know, and THAT little bit of knowledge is also waiting to be disproved, as more information comes forth.

    Be careful where you lay your confidence.

    For me, my confidence is laid in the grey areas as I've found that nobody knows 100% about any subject and no subject's information has been or will ever be 100% divulged.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-24-2010 at 10:43 PM.

  7. #276
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    6,516

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    All "scientists" believed that Newton's law of gravity "pulled" everything, especially on Earth, as the reason why we just don't float away......


    .......until Einstein came along and proved that Newton's law of gravity was wrong and that space "pushed" everything, and that's what keeps us from flying away into space.

    In other words, the "laws of physics" are only correct until someone comes along and proves them to be wrong, which happens every year on a regular basis.

    Never believe there are black-and-white answers for ANYTHING, including the "laws of physics", because facts and history show that they are as inconsistent and unreliable as a Dusty Baker starting lineup.

    And, it's probable that you didn't even know what I just told you, so that you had it "all figured out", just goes to show you that there is so little that you and all of us actually know, and THAT little bit of knowledge is also waiting to be disproved, as more information comes forth.

    Be careful where you lay your confidence.

    For me, my confidence is laid in the grey areas as I've found that nobody knows 100% about any subject and no subject's information has been or will ever be 100% divulged.
    I absolutely know what you are pointing out. I don't think you're hitting on much beyond 3rd grade science.

    The fact that science gets it wrong and revises itself is not evidence that dead people push alive people down in their living rooms.

    You can also place your mind so far in the grey areas that you'll believe anything because "anything's possible."

    Obviously there could be ghosts, but the evidence as laid out is filled with contradictions and holes so big you could drive a truck through them.

  8. #277
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    9,633

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I absolutely know what you are pointing out. I don't think you're hitting on much beyond 3rd grade science.

    The fact that science gets it wrong and revises itself is not evidence that dead people push alive people down in their living rooms.

    You can also place your mind so far in the grey areas that you'll believe anything because "anything's possible."

    Obviously there could be ghosts, but the evidence as laid out is filled with contradictions and holes so big you could drive a truck through them.
    I'll probably never believe in ghosts unless I see one myself. But, I won't discount someone's having seen them.

    I'd love to see the Ghost of Paul Brown haunt Mike Brown. In fact, by some of the more recent moves by Mike Brown, I'm not convinced it hasn't happened.

  9. #278
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati/Colerain
    Posts
    1,289

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    I'v never seen a ghost either, but I do hope they are real. It would make me feel better that there is something else after death.
    Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/ShaneHorning

  10. #279
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I'v never seen a ghost either, but I do hope they are real. It would make me feel better that there is something else after death.
    Don't need to see a ghost to believe that something awaits all of us after death. I don't believe in ghosts, but I know that something wonderful awaits after I pass.

  11. #280
    Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    Posts
    2,293

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    I don't believe in ghosts, but I know that something wonderful awaits after I pass.
    Most definitely.

    320
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

  12. #281
    MLB Baseball Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,713

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I don't believe in ghost. But I do believe in life outside Earth. Outer-space is vast, and the odds to me say there is life. I didn't say "intelligent" life, just life. I'm still waiting to discover "intelligent" life on Earth.

    On the Ghost issue. Looks like every city are having "Ghost Tours". There's one in San Diego, if you come and visit. I wonder if the Ghost get any royalties from this?
    When we visited the Hotel Del Coronado there was somebody near us and all she would talk about was the Hotel being haunted. It was very annoying.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

    Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

  13. #282
    Member Redsfaithful's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bexley, OH
    Posts
    7,849

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    When I lived in my apartment in Dayton, I was awakened by something touching my hair. When I opened my eyes and looked up, there was a figure of a woman sitting on my bed, and then she quickly vanished. I saw her one other time in that apartment as well.
    Probably carbon monoxide poisoning. Seriously.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

  14. #283
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,770

    Re: Ghost in the grove at Gettysburg?

    I wouldn't believe in ghosts even I saw several of them. I'd just know that I had officially lost my mind.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | cumberlandreds | Gallen5862 | Kinsm | Plus Plus | Powel Crosley | RedlegJake | The Operator