Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 8/9/09 - Reds vs. Giants

Re: 8/9/09 - Reds vs. Giants

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Priority number one: determine whether Rosales can play SS.
    Oh god no.

Nice job by Masset.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice to see that Pedro Sandoval went to the BP school of free swinging.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Man! On the verge of taking 2 outa 3 from the Giants on the west coast. Who would a thunk'd it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Cordero doing his best to honor David Weathers by making it a little interesting in the 9th.

Congrats to Harang for getting his first win since May. Nice series for the Reds hopefully we can build on this the last several weeks of the season.

I really like what I've seen from Balentien so far.

Priority number one: determine whether Rosales can play SS.
    Have we determined he can play 3B? :
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Have we determined he can play 3B? :
    Louisville manager thought he could play SS. I think he may hit enough to play SS but not 3b. I think we should find out. No sense playing Gonzo and it's pretty clear Janish is not going to be a regular SS.

What's frustrating about that thought, Hokie, is that seems to be the standard Reds answer for any need...look around and see what you have, no matter how ridiculous the idea is, and let them play another position. Don't ever go out and find one, just do with what you have. And it's been disastrous for 20 years.,

It's time to quit handing out millions to players who are marginal and start paying for talent.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    What's frustrating about that thought, Hokie, is that seems to be the standard Reds answer for any need...look around and see what you have, no matter how ridiculous the idea is, and let them play another position. Don't ever go out and find one, just do with what you have. And it's been disastrous for 20 years.,

It's time to quit handing out millions to players who are marginal and start paying for talent.

I agree with this entirely. I love the Rolen trade. But it makes sense to prioritize how to spend. We need a C, CF, LF, SS, SP (at least 1). We need to find out which of those is the highest priority. Finding out whether Rosales can possibly play SS is worth doing. Why wouldn't we do this? In order to play Gonzalez or Janish?

I agree with this entirely. I love the Rolen trade. But it makes sense to prioritize how to spend. We need a C, CF, LF, SS, SP (at least 1). We need to find out which of those is the highest priority. Finding out whether Rosales can possibly play SS is worth doing. Why wouldn't we do this? In order to play Gonzalez or Janish?
    I think at this point, the Reds brass are looking for a SS and SP, at least thats what I want first. SS first, then SP. C will probably be Hanigan, with maybe a FA backup. CF will be a battle between Stubbs, Dickerson, and Taveras. LF will be between Gomes, Balentien, and Heisey. Those spots at least have warm bodies that have potential. SS has absolutely nothing, outside of giving Cozart a chance. SP has (as of now) Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Owings, Cueto with maybe Wood, and probably only one of Harang/Arroyo. We need an offensive minded SS that is average in the field, and a top notch starter.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I think at this point, the Reds brass are looking for a SS and SP, at least thats what I want first. SS first, then SP. C will probably be Hanigan, with maybe a FA backup. CF will be a battle between Stubbs, Dickerson, and Taveras. LF will be between Gomes, Balentien, and Heisey. Those spots at least have warm bodies that have potential. SS has absolutely nothing, outside of giving Cozart a chance. SP has (as of now) Harang, Arroyo, Bailey, Owings, Cueto with maybe Wood, and probably only one of Harang/Arroyo. We need an offensive minded SS that is average in the field, and a top notch starter.
    Generally I agree, though I think C is a higher priority than you. I don't think Hanigan will OPS .700 as a full season regular. I'm happy enough to go with Stubbs or Heisey/Dickerson in CF. LF I think we need somebody other than those you list. Rosales looks better at the plate to me all the time. Remember he put up about a 1.2 OPS at Louisville before his call up. This is about 450 pts better than Stubbs, incidentally. People would love to get Hardy in this deal for Weathers; he's got an OPS of about .660, which I believe Rosales can easily do. All I'm saying is that in the meaningless games between here and the end of the season, let's put Rosales at SS and see if he can come anywhere near being adequate at the position, as Rick Sweet seemed to think he could be. He'll certainly outhit either Gonzalez or Janish. I also think that if we move Arroyo and get significant money back, we should go for two SP's.

Turn Off Ads?