Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: 8/20/09 - Reds vs. Los Gigantes

Re: 8/20/09 - Reds vs. Los Gigantes

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Before we get all goofy with the Stubbs has power talk let's just remember he now has 29 HR's as a professional in almost 4 years. 12 came in 2007 at low A.

It's great that he won the game, it's great that it came on a HR, but 3 HR's at AAA this year says pretty much one thing...

Stubbs doesn't hit for power. He may have it, but he for the most part is unable to use it.
    I know we're having fun with our elation at finally winning a game like this, but I'm intrigued by Doug's assessment regarding Stubbs and taking pitches early (I think it was Doug). He noted that there's a difference between being patient at the plate and just taking pitches to go deep. If they're throwing you a lollipop, jump on it.

Still, fun win - finally.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Guys, seriously. I don't think anyone is going to get carried away with 1 homer. This homer will probably be forgotted in like a day's time.

Definitely a cool moment for Stubbs, hopefully he can carry this into the next series.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Not to rain on the parade, but he did take some down the middle earlier in the game according to the Brenneman's. Glad he made it count when he got another opportunity.
    I think it was his prior at bat, 1-2 count I think. I'm sure he was thinking he'd get some kind of bender out of the strike zone, but still, that's the type of pitch someone like Dunn would have pounded into the River. Perhaps its just new to the bigs jitters, or what, but according to Doug he has a bit of a reputation for taking too many pitches. Why he took that pitch, I'm sure he's still wondering himself, it was a batting practice ball to match the likes of the one Cal Ripken got in the all-star game.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Guys, seriously. I don't think anyone is going to get carried away with 1 homer. This homer will probably be forgotted in like a day's time.

Definitely a cool moment for Stubbs, hopefully he can carry this into the next series.
    yeah, but if you've followed TRF's & Doug's back and forth on the millon page Is Stubbs a Bust thread, you have to wonder if TRF didn't curse when Stubbs knocked it out

I kid, I kid, I doubt anyone believes this is the sign of the next Babe Ruth, just something nice to see/hear in an otherwise lost season.

That was the first time I've seen Stubbs since his days at Dayton. I thought he'd be a bit more filled out at this point. Don't know if he'll tap into his power like orinally hoped, but he's definently got room to add some muscle.
    Last edited by medford; 08-20-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Before we get all goofy with the Stubbs has power talk let's just remember he now has 29 HR's as a professional in almost 4 years. 12 came in 2007 at low A.

It's great that he won the game, it's great that it came on a HR, but 3 HR's at AAA this year says pretty much one thing...

Stubbs doesn't hit for power. He may have it, but he for the most part is unable to use it.
    How much muscle do think he could realistically add? I would think 15 pounds would be easy on his frame, that could also turn some doubles into homers at some point.

I just want a guy that can walk, might steal and plays good defense while hitting over .260 doesn't seem like too much to ask. Then again my frame of reference is Cpat and Willy T. Almost makes me long for the days of Hopper and Farney

Great moment for the rookie. Welcome to the bigs!
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Yayyyyy...we win! Congrats to D Stubbs, now on to the historic battle for last place in the NL Central, two games of which I get to see live (ugh!)....

So, that's all we need to know, eh?

A couple considerations re: Stubbs and the power tool.

1. It's possible he was asked to work on contact, not power, at Louisville this year.

2. Power comes late for some guys.

There is no question that he has the potential. I've been impressed with his short stroke. And the HR he hit was a shot. Howry throws hard, and Stubbs turned a fastball around pretty darn hard.

People have said all along he's got 20 HR potential, and I don't see how anyone could definitively reject that at this point.

Congrats to Stubbs -- great moment.

While watching ESPN they had a note next to Stubbs home run that said he was the 1st player since Miguel Cabrera to hit a walk-off home run within 2 games of his major league career.
    Last edited by CTA513; 08-20-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Just saw the Reds highlights on SportsCenter.

Couple thoughts:

1. I'm definitely amused that Cain's only 3 Ks were Stubbs, 3 times.
    2. Stubbs looked too selective in his strikeouts, and while I love walks, keeping the bat on your shoulder for the sake of hoping for a walk is a completely different animal than having plate discipline and what not.
    3. Was today's attendance Expos-esque? Looked like maybe 2 dozen people down the LF line in both fair and foul territory when they showed Stubbs' GW HR clank off the fair pole.

Couple thoughts:

1. I'm definitely amused that Cain's only 3 Ks were Stubbs, 3 times.
    2. Stubbs looked too selective in his strikeouts, and while I love walks, keeping the bat on your shoulder for the sake of hoping for a walk is a completely different animal than having plate discipline and what not.
    3. Was today's attendance Expos-esque? Looked like maybe 2 dozen people down the LF line in both fair and foul territory when they showed Stubbs' GW HR clank off the fair pole.
    Glad you were able to enjoy the lesser side of Stubbs' performance.

How did you like the fact he hit a walkoff HR?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Glad you were able to enjoy the lesser side of Stubbs' performance.

How did you like the fact he hit a walkoff HR?
    I thought it was a great moment for the kid to hit a GW HR as his 1st MLB HR.

Forgive me if I couldn't help but notice that not many people were in attendance to see Mr. Stubbs' first 1st MLB HR, along with his first 3 plate appearances were less than stellar.

Given Stubbs hasn't shown much SLG at any level, I'll enjoy these HRs if and when they happen, but I won't expect too many of them.

My favorite part of Stubbs' day yesterday was he got pied. That's gotta be awesome for a rook.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    13,390. Not good and not even close to the 1960's wasteland at Crosley late in winning seasons.

Turn Off Ads?